Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

V70 2009 Replace rear brake pads EPB

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool V70 2009 Replace rear brake pads EPB

I recently replaced the rear brake pads on my 2009 V70. Very simple. DO NOT LISTEN TO THOSE THAT SAY YOU NEED A SPECIAL TOOL (VIDA) FOR CALIBRATION

Remove connector to the EPB. There are only two prongs in the connector that is part of the EPB / caliber housing.
Using a pair of leads from a 12 volt battery, connect the battery polarity one way or the other to back the EPB solenoid out all the way. Easy to tell which is the correct way since one way tightens the pads to the disk, and the other frees them.
Remove the caliber and replace the pads as you would have done on any vehicle. Reinstall.
Make sure the connector is seated (all the way inserted) correctly (the reason I stress this is that I did not seat one of my connectors fully and I got a instrument panel message that the Parking Brake required maintenance. The story - video on YouTube will show you how to back out the solenoid. From Google searches and Youtube after I had gotten the instrument panel message, I was make to believe that there was a calibration step required since I did not use an electric maintenance tool to back the solenoid out for my rear pads. WRONG. When the first independent shop got a code for the right rear that could not be cleared (I was in an area with no Volvo dealer within 50 miles) and told me that his non-Volvo electronic tool could not calibrate my parking brakes, I went home, pulled the right rear wheel, and noticed that the connector came apart with little resistance. I then re-seated the connector, heard a click, and could not pull the connector apart).
Always, when you replace brake pads, pump the brakes several times to make sure the pads are up to the disks.
Set your parking brake. Since the solenoid was spun out all the way, you will hear a prolonged spin in before the pads engage. Release the parking brake.
(for me, now the message on the instrument panel was gone)
Simple.