Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

V70 Qwerks

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V70 Qwerks

Hello Everyone!

I'm new here, and new to Volvos as well. I've always loved the look, and feel of them, and am looking at a used one right now.... Owning a Saab as well, I'm pretty mechanically inclined (lol)... So I'm just curious, what are the qwerks with the V70s. The one I found that's #1 contender on my list is a '98 V70 Base 155K on the clock (leather, heated seats, alloys, etc, etc)... Seems like a nice car, although I havn't driven it yet I have seen it in person and heard it run...

It seems that doing the timing belt/tensioner/idler would be first on my list of preventative maintinence if there are no records of recent maintinence... Anything else that might come back to haunt me if I don't check it out??

Thanks in advance!!
-Joe

Old 08-19-2009, 04:47 AM

Joe, forget the base model just doesnt go hard enough.
T5 can be had for the same money and goes one helluva lot harder, no more fuel consumption unless you're into it.

If you're a slow poke it doesnt matter, overtaking saftey and some grunt to get out of a tight spot is never missed if you have it and always missed if you dont.

as far as the quirks go, these cars are full of them, good news is that parts are cheaper than VW, AUDI, BMW and Mercedes and generally cheaper to maintain than those cars.

They are however no Toyota Camry and do require regular applications of elbow grease and money to keep in good condition (ie relaible).

the series 2 cars ie 2000 and onwards have Dynamic stability control, side curtain airbags and being a previous owner of a '98 R I would say that with same grunt, less weight and the DSC the 01 T5 is a MUCH, MUCH better car.

My R had 240K, KMS when I sold it and at that it had cost me $10,000 in 3 years in broken bits (clutch, angle drive, AFM, OXY sensors, the list goes on and on and on.)

I didn't even thrash it -due to the fact I was scared as to what it would cost to fix if I broke something!

NO CLUNKS in suspension -look at the strut tops, (from engine bay) should be no cracks visible in the rubber (use a torch) about $190 for HD spring seats
-lots of expensiver bits to replace at the best of times let alone something already broken.

Inspect the brakes closely -again parts add up front pads and rotors are going to cost min $500.

Consumable stuff, like brakes, plugs airfilters oil filters tyres cost the same for a series 1 as a series 2, thus get the better car even if it costs more initially.

You cant retrofit Dynamic stability control !
(reduces liklyhood of single vehicle crash by 70%)

Your life is ALWAYS worth the extra couple of thousand on the purchase price.

FYI
I bought my most recent T5 MY2001 model for $14K Aud with 126,000K on it.
BARGAIN!

Old 08-19-2009, 08:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Translation from British to American (very important). "Torch" in British means exactly what "Flashlight" means in American. DO NOT USE a flaming torch to check the bushings.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:07 AM

lol lol lol