Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Viscous Coupling, Rear Differential, Other?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viscous Coupling, Rear Differential, Other?

Ok....so I've just replaced the Front Brg Hubs, all Brakes, Rotors, EBrake Cables, EBrake Shoes, Drive Shaft, R-Front Axle, Brake Hoses, new fluids in the Bevel/Angle Gear and Differential...on my '98 V70XC, 145K. Took it for a test ride - no strange noises...was a good feeling. I took it to a parking lot to do some tight circles and noticed that the rear wheels wanted to "skip/push" like they were either locking up, or the outside wheel would not slip properly (left hand turn seemed worse). But, the more circles and figure eights I did, the less the problem seemed to occur. (There was a crunching sound like the VC would break loose and the "skipping" would stop, or the Rear Differential would break loose and allow the wheels to freewheel?)

The car did have the Drive Shaft out when I bought it...so I was anticipating something other than a bad shaft to be the problem. I do not hear noise from the Bevel/Angle Gear, and I do not hear any noise coming from the rear differential - going straight (slow/at speed). I did not see any fluids leaking from the Rear Diff, VC, or BG. The issue I have is when I do some tight turns, the outside rear wheel appears to "skip/lock up" and wants to push the car forward - noticed this because the parking lot was somewhat ice covered and slippery. (But again, it appears to go away once I've done a few tight turns...).

Anyone with some insight to this issue, or is this typical? (Had a Jeep Cherokee that did the same thing, but it was a transfer case issue.....) It looks like the RRear Axle has been replaced, along with the RFront and LRear...but couldn't guarantee...

Thanks

Old 08-10-2012, 12:19 PM

i have the same problem in my 99 s70. also, one day when i broke them loose in the snow, it stopped for awhile as if i had broke the VC free or something. Did you ever fix yours?

Old 08-12-2012, 08:47 AM

Just got finished going through the system. First replace the VC with a known good one - seemed to help for a while? Then, bit the bullet and pulled the Angle Gear out - replace it with a known good one, replace the Splined Coupler and Seals....now it appears to be working good. If anything, even if the sound is coming from the rear wheels - it's probably the Angle Gear.

(Should have figured this out faster when the Volvo VC test came up positive, and there were no leaks outside the VC.)