Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Volvo V70XC Tailgate Latch problem & compatibility with other years

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo V70XC Tailgate Latch problem & compatibility with other years

I had posted about a year ago with an issue with the tailgate latch on my wife's 2000 Volvo V70 XC. I had shot some lubricant into the latch that seemed to help the issues I was having (and also replaced the fasteners too).

Last week, we were out shopping & went to close the tailgate & it would never fasten. It looks like the latch itself isn't opening to go around the post in the floor of the wagon. I tried to trip it one way or the other, but am unable to get it to move in either direction. Additionally, the piece in the latch that goes between the two black pieces appears to be in 2 pieces. At least when I'm looking at it it appears that one edge has a sharp side. Initially, the tailgate open light didn't come on, but now it's on all the time. I've got the tailgate closed by using a ratchet tie down between a loop under the car & the luggage rack.

I am posting a photo of a latch I found on Ebay for a 2003 V70. The piece I'm describing that I think is broken into 2 pieces is shown in the yellow circle below (I do not have the unit off the 2000 V70, so I do not have a photo of it).

Is there a way to trip the latch that will allow it to open and/or lock? As it is now, locking & unlocking the doors in the car has no effect on the tailgate latch, whether the tailgate is up or down. As I said, I think something is broken in it because I see a jagged edge on the inner piece of latch mechanism, and also because anything that I can touch that piece with moves freely, and it will also partially turn in the space available.

Second question - what year models are compatible with a 2000 Volvo V70 XC tailgate latch?

Would appreciate any help any might offer on this issue.

Thanks!

Old 01-09-2014, 02:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need the last 6 of your VIN to determine which latch fits your vehicle. There are two available. If I have the VIN I can run a search on the part that fits your car and can tell you what other years and cars that latch fits.