Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Where is the air pump relay?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the air pump relay?

I replaced my air pump today and fixed my check engine light problem. I stil need to replace the SAS valve but looks like i'm going to need a crow's foot wrench to get to the 10 MM bolts. The real question is where in the heck is the pump relay? The sites that I have seen point to the fuse box beside the air box BUT every part I find online, including the one I purchased online is not the same type relay that is in the box! The one I have is like the size of three typical cube shaped relays.

Can someone tell me if I have the right part or not and where is it found in the engine compartment?

Any tips on how to get the SAS valve off in the tight space of a 2.3 L Turbo engine?

thanks for your help

Gino

Old 02-11-2006, 11:08 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Where is the air pump relay?

If you didn't unplug the Air pump from a relay then you have a small one in the fuse/relay box.
The older cars had the bigger relay and it was usually under the front of the car by the Air pump.

For the Valve I use the smallest wrench I have to break them loose then remove them by hand.

Old 02-12-2006, 09:59 PM

Thanks. I saw the relay in the fuse box and it DID say air pump....I just wanted to make sure. swedishautoparts sent me the really big relay instead of the small one.

I was able to get to the rear bolt of the SAS valve with a crow's foot very easily, BUT the forward bolt has still stumped me. I am thinking of just connecting the tube that runs from the valve to the exhaust system.

Any thoughts on SAS valve removal by removing the tube to the exhaust?

Thanks

Old 02-12-2006, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Sorry no Ideas I just always use my wrench. I use the boxed end and never have any problems.

Old 02-27-2006, 03:44 PM

I changed mine on a V70 non turbo and it was located right above the fan shroud, just to the left of where the hood release is. It will be a relay with three sets of wires goig to it. Slide the relay out (toward the engine), The wires have quick releases on them, pull them off, put them on the new one, slide it back in the holder. Shouldnt take about 5 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Tripletdad

Old 02-27-2006, 09:36 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: tripletdad

I changed mine on a V70 non turbo and it was located right above the fan shroud, just to the left of where the hood release is. It will be a relay with three sets of wires goig to it. Slide the relay out (toward the engine), The wires have quick releases on them, pull them off, put them on the new one, slide it back in the holder. Shouldnt take about 5 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Tripletdad
That would be the cooling fan relay not the Air pump relay.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:13 PM

I'm new to the forum and would appreciate some words of wisdom from the wise owls of the group.
I own a 1996, 850 and the air pump won't start, the check engine is on and I'm getting P0410 error code.
How can be sure the relay is working is some way to test it. I need to deteremine where the error is occuring. I never realized how common a problem this is - my wife has a 1996 Non-Turbo 850 and I recently pulled the air pump out and found it was filled with rustly looking water and the motor was frozen. Will it do harm to run the car without the air pump, my concern is damaging the engine or other stuff to operate the engine without the pump...
Thanks to all that might reply, Dave

Old 11-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think there is a better chance of having an air pump run when it's full of water. The only what I can think to test the air pump is to hot wire it. If I remember correctly, I was able to open the relay and close the tabs by hand to kick on the air pump just to make sure it worked. I can definitely remember doing something that told me the relay and the pump both worked, so I had to replace the valve. Have you searched around the forum. Whatever I did was from somebody on here telling me what to do.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Administrator

You should be able to unplug it and supply positive and negative to it pretty easy.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:24 PM

Hello All,

I'm lost, I recently replaced the air pump (filled with water and rust)and I was hoping that
someone tell me exactly how to test the "air pump relay".

BTW, I knowthe "air pump" is good, but still it will not run.

Again, Thanks in advance to all who reply,
Dave

Old 04-25-2008, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Which relay does your car have 2 different types.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:58 PM

Hello, The relay is mounted directly next to the air pump. I realize it gets road wash, and the reason it maybe bad.
It's rectangluar in shape, it has three plugs. If you were to hold with the printing facing youself how I would test it.
Where (which connection point)wouldI plug 12V and amprage is needed.
Thanks You Very Much,
Dave

Old 04-25-2008, 08:24 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: 850dave

Hello, The relay is mounted directly next to the air pump. I realize it gets road wash, and the reason it maybe bad.
It's rectangluar in shape, it has three plugs. If you were to hold with the printing facing youself how I would test it.
Where (which connection point)wouldI plug 12V and amprage is needed.
Thanks You Very Much,
Dave
But late model 98 and 99 the realy is in the fuse box/relay box under the hood.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:44 PM

Mine is a 1996, 850, Non-Turbo

Old 04-25-2008, 08:50 PM
Administrator

I would have to look at one to tell you exactly.
Sorry I don't remember off hand.
Just did a S80 twin turbo motor today and I lost alot of memories remembering all of that stuff on that car.

Give me till tomorrow and Hopefully I have one home to look at.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:11 PM

Hello,

I was hoping you might have had a chance to check around and see if you might have an old relay. I'm just trying to figure out if I need one or if something is going haywire...

BTW, this is my first Volvo, I'm enjoying it but wish it had less miles on it. I'm quickly approaching 200,000, still runs strong.

Thank You,
850Dave

Old 04-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Sorry I don't have one home.
You know the air pump only comes on for about 30 to 40 seconds on cold starts right?
You can try testing the relay in the car. Not sure if this will work but the relay is very similiar to the cooling fan relay. Try testing with a test light on the small wires in the middle and see if the relay activated and kicks the pump on.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:22 PM

Hi,

I'm in the middle of changing the SAS valve, and at the moment I don't have a really short 10mm wrench to access that front bolt. Has anyone had success with just taking the whole thing loose (where it connects to the exhaust) to get the SAS valve off? I'm talking about the metal pipe that runs from the bottom of the SAS valve (where it sits on the flange) over to the exhaust. I want to take it loose at the exhaust. Is that do-able?

Thanks!

Old 08-29-2008, 06:43 PM
Administrator

It is do able but be careful sometimes it is seized and will twist the pipe and break it.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:03 PM

I have an 850 Volvo, is the air pump fuse the same as the air pump relay? I checked my fuse box no air pump wording on it to indicate if it goes there? Can someone tell me asap. My email is allkindsofrocks@yahoo.com

Thank you!

Quick Reply: Where is the air pump relay?