Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

12V battery critical charging fault??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 03:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 12V battery critical charging fault??

I have a 2022 XC60, which as I posted earlier has been extremely disappointing! Aside from all of the connection/modem issues, while I was DRIVING last night, the car suddenly stopped running and I got a message on my center display that read: " Stop safely - 12V battery critical charging fault". Seriously?! Thank GOD I wasn't on the highway!!

Has anyone else experienced this??

The following 2 users liked this post by WaterDog20:
Janis (01-22-2024), Mikix (02-19-2023)
Old 04-28-2022, 04:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Actually I had the same issue 1 month ago while I was driving. I stopped the car and rerun again. But after 3 weeks later, after not driving for 2 days, I saw my car without any power in the battery. Nothing was working.
Service got my car, I think they charged the battery but they told me that they updated OS and they ordered a part from factory. As I understood there is sth wrong with 2022 cars about battery charging.

Regards

The following users liked this post:
WaterDog20 (05-02-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 489 Likes on 470 Posts

This can point to a sw issue or an alternator. I assume once you stopped, shut down and restarted, the error went away? You can probably drive 20 miles or more just on the battery with a failed alternator so don't panic if this happens when you are on a freeway. Just get ready to exit at the next convenient spot so you can park, shut down and restart.

PS - my similar experience was with an alternator issue. On very cold days, the car would stop charging and I'd get the battery warning light. Sure enough, car was at 12.5V. shut down/restart and no light, car was at 14.5V. One time when it happened I drove about 10 miles to my shop to show them the sympton when the car was running and the warning was lit. The explaination from my shop was that one of the relays in the voltage regulator that prevents over charging was sticking and the restart would reset the relay. Replacing the alternator/voltage regulator cured my problem.

WaterDog20 (05-02-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 11:15 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Angry Charge failure plus engine limited

Yes, this happened to me yesterday. Car had sat in garage for two days, not used, no accessories on. Went to start it and everything was dead. Checked voltage at Bat post under hood, 5.4V. Put on a charger for two hours, no voltage change. Jump started and it started right up, with the warning screen you showed, plus additional screens about "engine performance is reduced and max speed is limited". Volvo wanted me to pay the wrecker to tow in a 1 month old car. I provided my thoughts on that subject, dealer is paying for the ride. Will update when they call with the diagnosis. As a side note, the car makes a lot of sounds for 2 hours after it is shut off. Lots of clicking and thumps like electrical relays or solenoids are engaged or disengaged. Anyone else observed this?
Update May26, 2022. Dealer called, they installed 36004-2 software control module part 31483292. So far it has resolved the problem. Adviser said the batt is not down, just bad communication of the voltage controllers. For the clicking and thumps of the electronics he says to lock the car at all times. If not locked, the car is still active, checking for updates, checking operating systems and such. Locked it and it finally shut up.

Last edited by Pawpaw2022; 05-26-2022 at 10:18 AM. Reason: problem resolution
The following 4 users liked this post by Pawpaw2022:
emtinfl (01-09-2023), FrugalDave (06-28-2023), Karal (07-01-2022), WaterDog20 (05-26-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 11:18 AM
Received 590 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Pawpaw2022
Put on a charger for two hours, no voltage change. Jump started and it started right up,
You might want to verify your charger works for future use. A good charger should have replenished the battery. Jump starting the car does not charge the battery.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:21 AM

Thanks, but charger is new and verified on another vehicle at the same time. I suspect the issue is in the electronics, not the battery. The resistor block/transformer/ converter, whatever that takes the volt from 48V to 12V may be the problem. I did not think at the time to verify the voltage at the battery in the rear storage. If it was 48V then we know where to look. If 5.4V then there is a fault in wiring or components.

Last edited by Pawpaw2022; 05-25-2022 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-22-2022, 03:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 12v battery critical error charging

Originally Posted by WaterDog20
I have a 2022 XC60, which as I posted earlier has been extremely disappointing! Aside from all of the connection/modem issues, while I was DRIVING last night, the car suddenly stopped running and I got a message on my center display that read: " Stop safely - 12V battery critical charging fault". Seriously?! Thank GOD I wasn't on the highway!!

Has anyone else experienced this??
I had same problem yesterday while car was parked overnight. Dealer said nothing broken. Battery just needed to be charged. What happened with your car?

The following 2 users liked this post by Jack279:
Holly S (08-28-2022), ohbigdeal (07-18-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 03:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 12v battery critical charging error

I had the same problem yesterday after the car was parked and locked overnight. I received the same error message when I tried to start it the next day. The Dealer said nothing was broken. The battery just needed to be charged. What happened with your car?

Old 06-23-2022, 10:10 AM
Default Your battery is fine

As noted above in my update, the car needed a software change, the battery was not down and yours did not need a charge either. When the car goes completely dead you can jump start it and the computer will reset. This is not a cure, but the car can be driven as before. So far no more problems. You should ask the dealer about the software change.
When the wrecker came to pick up my car he was well aware of the problem, saying he picks up one or two XC60 or XC90 each week with this problem. At the dealership I asked the service manager
if they checked new cars for the known software change update before they delivered them to customers. I got a blank stare, then a light bulb came on in his head.

Old 07-18-2022, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep - happened to me yesterday. 3rd battery problem! When it happened I was 10 miles from home and had to "jag" in hopes of getting to my garage so that I didn't have to pull over in Palm Springs 115• heat. Also - same connectivity issues, no Apple Carplay (my X40 had it), app doesn't work (will not upload by VIN). ETC.

Old 08-14-2022, 02:44 PM

Went on vacation for a week, wife went to turn on our new '22 XC60 B5 (factory OSD in May) and it refused to turn on. Completely dead. Electronics wouldn't turn on, engine wouldn't turn over.

After fighting for an hour with Volvo roadside assistance, finally got a service van out and they jumped the car via the 12V mini battery in the front. The alternator was sitting at 13V (14V~ is required), and hooking up a multimeter to the 48V battery in the trunk showed it was only at 8amp out of 80amp total after 5 minutes, 11amps after 10 minutes. I shut down the car as it was 8PM and all the service centers / dealerships were closed and I didn't want to risk driving the car like that. The dashboard lit up with a bunch of errors, the 12v battery critical charging fault, the turtle slow mode, and the SOS call for service error.

The next morning I contacted our Volvo service center who is way backed up and said I wanted to drop the car off because it's a dead paperweight in my garage. Of course the car was dead again so not possible to drive; had to call Volvo roadside a bunch again and finally was able to get a tow truck to come to my house 2 hours later. They jumped it, I drove it on the tow truck and we took it to the service center. 30 minutes later, the XC60 decided it liked being dead again. The tow truck and service center both tried their portable jump kits and it refused to turn on. Finally after hooking up jump cables direct to the tow truck it came to life where I then drove it straight into the Volvo service center bay.

That was 2 days ago. I have no estimated time frame for when my car will be taken care of, but I'm guessing a couple weeks at a minimum.

I think Volvo roadside is going to cover a rental car for me finally at least, but it's disheartening (to say the least) that my 2 month old car is already so unreliable. I'm hoping it will be a relatively easy fix of updating some software or fixing the TCAM issues and it will be reliable again. Not looking forward to having electrical issues that can potentially strand me in the middle of no where, especially on a $50k+ car.

Not to mention that while Google Automotive is ok when it works, it actually required a hard reset while I was at the Sweden OSD delivery center and again a couple weeks later it completely hard reset while driving! Hopefully I get some updates on Google Automotive too.

If this keeps happening, guess I'll have to start looking into lemon law? :|

Last edited by Paddington; 08-14-2022 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-28-2022, 12:02 PM

Just getting to all of these threads as my 6 month old Volvo just died in my driveway, luckily the batter fault failed as I was leaving home so I immediately turned around but wouldn't go over 10mph to coast up the street. Yes I absolutely have a lot of fan running, clicking and all kinds of noise after I turn the car off which makes it sound like it's still running. It appears the Battery is in fact a software gliche if I am reading that correctly? Beyond frustrated with this car so far.

Old 08-28-2022, 12:26 PM

Currently I have wrecker on the way, I am curious if I just try to keep this thing running to charge the battery? I drove it last night so I have no clue why the battery on a new car would be dead. Volvo roadside assistance has no idea....,he said call my dealership but it's Sunday so they are not open.

Old 08-28-2022, 06:37 PM

You are on the right track now. I think the solution is as I stated above. The battery is not dead, even if it test at 5 volts at the post under the hood. Problem is the computer accessing the battery. The software patch will fix it. No problem since we had the first trouble and did the update at the dealer. The strange noises coming from a parked car are as stated. The car is checking systems, checking the internet if it can get a connection and whatever else it does. Lock the car and it will go to sleep.

Old 08-28-2022, 06:38 PM

Insist on the software update I listed, no problems since then.

Old 08-29-2022, 03:28 AM

I had to get a tow truck out to my place the next morning and have them jump it again. I then was able to drive it onto the flat bed and they took my car down to the dealership. It then refused to jump with their portable charge pack and finally after hooking up the tow truck directly it started and I left it with the dealership overnight. I told them to update the software to the new Apple Carplay edition also.

They contacted me the next day and said the car was ready to go. They said the 12V battery in the front was defective and they replaced it with a new one, and also updated the Google Automotive software. Hopefully that also fixes whatever drain might've been occurring. I can't believe a battery produced in April 2022 was defective to the point of not being able to hold half a charge.

I don't hear as many solenoids and whatnot clicking when I turn the car off, but I do notice that sometimes the center console headunit will just sit with the screen on for several minutes if you open and close the car door. I got tired of waiting for it to shut off so I locked the car to force it off.

Side note, the Google automotive update made the dashboard's map smaller but you get the numbers at the same time now. I preferred the bigger map without the number though...

abaraga (10-08-2022)
Old 10-15-2022, 01:55 PM
Default 12V battery critical charging fault

Hello everyone,

I own a 2022 Volvo XC60 B4, had same issue when car was parked in garage for 1 week, I come back could not even open the doors it was locked, car was basically dead the alarm led indicator did not flashing, dashboard wasn’t starging. I opened the door with detachable key blade, did a jump start with another battery then message

“12V battery critical charging fault” appeared on dashboard.

I drove car for about 20 minutes “turtle” symbol appeared on dashboard, parked the car and charged 12V battery using a processor-controlled battery charger, whole process took about 4hrs.

I take shorter journeys the alternator don’t have sufficient time to fully charge the battery, other than that car has a Start/Stop function and staying in traffic jam engine is turned off much of time.

So decided to charge battery once a month, this error never appeared anymore.

Last edited by abaraga; 10-15-2022 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-15-2022, 02:30 PM

I had same issue, it seems that if you have short journeys you have to periodically charge the 12V battery. I charge it about once a month and this issue disappeared. I usually drive car on short distances so alternator cant fully charge the battery.

Old 01-23-2023, 02:10 PM
Default Battery charger

Hi I want to charge my 12 V I got the same message last night. What charger should I buy and is it easy to hook up? Do I need any tools to do it?

Old 01-24-2023, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by RichardXC60
Hi I want to charge my 12 V I got the same message last night. What charger should I buy and is it easy to hook up? Do I need any tools to do it?
Hello!

I am using a CTEK MXS 5.0 battery charger and maintainer, it is a fully automatic battery charger.

Easy to use.

1 - Connect the red clamp to the car positive (+) terminal.
2 - Connect black clamp to the car negative (-) terminal.

3 - Connect the charger to the wall socket.

4 - Press MODE-button to select the charging program, press several times until "car" and "agm" led indicators are turned on.

*The selected program will be restarted next time the charger is connected.

Leave it to charge a few hours until all charging steps are completed, you'll see on display 7 lamps.

Disconnect the charger from the wall socket before disconnecting the battery and disconnect the black clamp before the red clamp.

https://smartercharger.com/products/ctek-mxs-5-0

Manual
http://www.ctek.com/storage/76D8EE34...-low-UK-EN.pdf

Review
https://durabilitymatters.com/ctek-mxs-5-0-review/

Quick Reply: 12V battery critical charging fault??