Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

2010 XC60 3.0T - On screen message: Decelerate or shift up now

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 XC60 3.0T - On screen message: Decelerate or shift up now

Hey guys and gals,

My 2010 Volvo XC 60 3.0 Turbo has been driving great for the past 6 months except for some rough shifting in 2nd and 3rd gears.

Yesterday on the interstate I was accelerating around 50+ MPH and the car hit 4000+ RPM's and was not shifting into a higher gear (it is automatic). A message displayed on the screen and said something to the effect of, "decelerate or shift up now".

I slowed down and it appeared to downshift fine. I never turned the engine off and was able to make it home about 10 minutes away. I had it tow'd to the Volvo dealer who just gave it back to me and said these issues

Problems:
there is a code for "long shift" (also states NO TCM upgrades available. Drives normal shifts feel normal.

The Volvo dealer will not investigate the transmission because it is sealed. He said in his experience he has seen people take these kinds of issues to other mechanics who tear the transmission apart and usually put tons of money in it and by the time they are done they could have bought a new transmission (Volvo dealer quote w/ warranty is $8,712.85). The dealer also said not to flush the transmission fluid because there are no dip stick available.

Being that I am a college student that bought this car nearly 10 years old that is not in my price range. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions or experience dealing with the issues I have described? I am open to any suggestions... it is driving fine now but the incident yesterday has me very concerned.

Thanks for your time.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

sounds like its time for a second opinion. you have a computer controlled transmission - aka the TCU which communicates to set of solenoids that actuate the valves controlling the fluid that shifts the gears. Since you saw a warning message, there will be a fault code stored and registered in the computer That code will give some clues as to what happened - ie is the TCU not communicating with the solenoids? are any of the solenoids showing as an open or closed circuit? As to doing a flush, dunno about the comment of the transmission being sealed. There's two different thoughts on the fluid. First is whether you can't change the fluid. The fill process is different as you don't have a dipstick port to refill so you'd need to fill via a side plug. My guess is the car has an overflow tube to set the fluid level (VW DSGs have this design) Additionally, flushes can be done by tapping into the transmission cooler lines where one line purges fluid out and the other line sucks in new fluid. I'm sure the dealer would know what the process is - but they are likely following factory recommendations.

Whether you should flush the transmission is a different question. Usually that's raised as a preventative maintenance topic to which Volvo says no bueno since the computer monitors the quality of the fluid. The idea of a drain fill is to 1) filter what's been drained to inspect for debris due to internal damage and to see if the fluid is burnt 2) refill with clean fluid to hopefully keep ports and veins clear. Since you already have shifting issues between specific gears suggests you either have a TCU communications issue, a solenoid issue or a valve body issue. Good news is those all can be serviced without removing the transmission (call around to tranmission repair shops to see if they have experience with newer volvos as they will need access to a VIDA DICE to complete the set up) - not sure if you have the 6 speed Geartronic but you can google around for common issues and repair approaches.

Final thought - even if the whole transmission is toast, the practical option would be to install a used transmission. Sure there's a risk that the replacement won't be perfect but a quick look on car-part.com suggests the going price is $750-1000 which is way better than 8700. Not sure of the labor cost but say its 8 hours - thats another 800-1000 so you'd be out the door for $2K not $9K.

The following users liked this post:
Bizarro (03-25-2020)
Old 03-25-2020, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by mt6127
sounds like its time for a second opinion. you have a computer controlled transmission - aka the TCU which communicates to set of solenoids that actuate the valves controlling the fluid that shifts the gears. Since you saw a warning message, there will be a fault code stored and registered in the computer That code will give some clues as to what happened - ie is the TCU not communicating with the solenoids? are any of the solenoids showing as an open or closed circuit? As to doing a flush, dunno about the comment of the transmission being sealed. There's two different thoughts on the fluid. First is whether you can't change the fluid. The fill process is different as you don't have a dipstick port to refill so you'd need to fill via a side plug. My guess is the car has an overflow tube to set the fluid level (VW DSGs have this design) Additionally, flushes can be done by tapping into the transmission cooler lines where one line purges fluid out and the other line sucks in new fluid. I'm sure the dealer would know what the process is - but they are likely following factory recommendations.

Whether you should flush the transmission is a different question. Usually that's raised as a preventative maintenance topic to which Volvo says no bueno since the computer monitors the quality of the fluid. The idea of a drain fill is to 1) filter what's been drained to inspect for debris due to internal damage and to see if the fluid is burnt 2) refill with clean fluid to hopefully keep ports and veins clear. Since you already have shifting issues between specific gears suggests you either have a TCU communications issue, a solenoid issue or a valve body issue. Good news is those all can be serviced without removing the transmission (call around to tranmission repair shops to see if they have experience with newer volvos as they will need access to a VIDA DICE to complete the set up) - not sure if you have the 6 speed Geartronic but you can google around for common issues and repair approaches.

Final thought - even if the whole transmission is toast, the practical option would be to install a used transmission. Sure there's a risk that the replacement won't be perfect but a quick look on car-part.com suggests the going price is $750-1000 which is way better than 8700. Not sure of the labor cost but say its 8 hours - thats another 800-1000 so you'd be out the door for $2K not $9K.
This is great information thank you very much for the feedback.

I will definitely get a second opinion.

Few follow up questions:
I asked the dealer about pulling a transmission from a totaled car and he said something along the lines of, "You cannot match a used transmission with a different car because the computers are uniquely matched to the VIN # of the car they were made for and if I got a used one it would not work. I felt a little skeptical that there was no way around this.

Secondly, do you have experience with the website selling that transmission? What kind of risk am I looking at buying a used one... are there any kind of warranties?

$2,000 fix is something more reasonable and I could find a way to work through that.

.Regards,

Biz

Old 03-25-2020, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Ask for a printout of the codes. That message usually comes with misfire codes. Fix those first. Usually start with spark plugs if they are overdue.

Old 03-25-2020, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127

Thank you very much for the feedback!

A few additional thoughts and questions:

I talked to the guy at the Volvo dealership about a used transmission and he told me that each transmission is synched to work with a particular car. If I put one in that isn't made for the car it will not work- is that what the VIDA DICE is used for?

It would be a relief if I needed a new transmission I could get it for a $2,000 versus $9,000... is there any kind of external warranties or insurance I could buy to minimize risk?

In regards to ES6T's comment, "
Ask for a printout of the codes. That message usually comes with misfire codes. Fix those first. Usually start with spark plugs if they are overdue." Do you think Volvo would have released the vehicle back to me had they seen a code like that and not informed me about it?

I'm going to call the shop right now and ask for a printout.

Thanks again guys for the feedback. Very helpful.

Old 03-25-2020, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

I would hope they wouldn't release it with a simple misfire, but they should also know that a used trans will work just fine.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by ES6T
I would hope they wouldn't release it with a simple misfire, but they should also know that a used trans will work just fine.
I have her in a Volvo repair shop (not owned by Volvo but they specialize). I'll let you guys know what they end up repairing. This shop said they could put a used transmission in for $1,500 so that is a huge relief for worst case scenario. The guy also said what I am describing sounds like a common misfire problem. Fingers crossed.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:26 PM

Hey guys,

This repair did confirm there was a misfire in cylinder 2. They swapped out the coil and I paid for new spark plugs to be on the safe side. The car is operating the same as it did before the incident.

Secondly, they suggested (because I have a long shift code) to drain and fill the transmission fluid and test it for coolant. The test came back showing a barely visible pink suggesting there was trace ammounts of coolant in the transmission. I allowed them to drain and fill it hoping that new transmission fluid would sort out the long shift. It is still a little rough (sometimes in 2nd to 3rd gear) but nothing that causes for alarm.

The shop said if down the road I wanted a new transmission they could install a used one with a 90 day warranty for around $1,600 ($1,000 labor and $500-$900 for the transmission).

Thank you to the two people that replied for your support. If you come across this thread with the same problem definitely check for the misfire!
Biz

P.S.

I will definitely be calling Volvo's supervisor to see if they will make this right by refunding my money I paid for a diagnosis. I talked to the guy whom managed the service and he tried to defend his actions. When he sent me the codes there was a misfire code- it did say "inactive" but they never disclosed this to me and suggested I buy a new transmission for nearly $9,000! Very disappointed with them.