Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

2022 XC60 B5 Momentum: Waze via Android Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 10:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2022 XC60 B5 Momentum: Waze via Android Auto?

Hi all,

Is it at all possible to connect my phone to XC60 using Android Auto? Or this is not (yet?) supported? It seems to me that since Waze is missing from the Play Store of the Google-powered central screen, the only way to use it would be via Android Auto, but when I connect my phone to the car using the USB-C cable, nothing happens (except that phone starts charging). Is that expected?

And I am not sure this car supports wireless Android Auto (again, nothing happens when I try to follow the instructions on my phone's AAuto app to press the Google Assistant button on the wheel... Well, the central screen shows the google assistant prompt, but nothing related to wireless AA happens).

I also noticed that the car seems to only have 2 USB-C ports in the tunnel console (no regular USB ports). Is that also expected? (That's not a problem for me since I have the needed cables, but I wonder what do the iPhone people do, since I think the Lightning to USB-c cables are not as popular)...

Thanks, Kirill

The following users liked this post:
UtahGuy (03-01-2022)
Old 11-22-2021, 03:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure, but I think Android Auto is considered obsolete in a car that has the built in Google integration and therefore does not work.

As far as the USB ports are concerned, I found that
these these
do the trick.

Old 02-16-2022, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a 2022 S90 and have the exact same problem. Dealer was not sure why it didnt work . I emailed volvo customer service, all as they said is, its not yet supported ???? My owners manual says its supported ... so very confused.

Old 02-17-2022, 11:17 AM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by kirillka
Hi all,

Is it at all possible to connect my phone to XC60 using Android Auto? Or this is not (yet?) supported? It seems to me that since Waze is missing from the Play Store of the Google-powered central screen, the only way to use it would be via Android Auto, but when I connect my phone to the car using the USB-C cable, nothing happens (except that phone starts charging). Is that expected?

And I am not sure this car supports wireless Android Auto (again, nothing happens when I try to follow the instructions on my phone's AAuto app to press the Google Assistant button on the wheel... Well, the central screen shows the google assistant prompt, but nothing related to wireless AA happens).

I also noticed that the car seems to only have 2 USB-C ports in the tunnel console (no regular USB ports). Is that also expected? (That's not a problem for me since I have the needed cables, but I wonder what do the iPhone people do, since I think the Lightning to USB-c cables are not as popular)...

Thanks, Kirill
Mine is a 2021 with Sensus and may work differently than yours. My car can use both Android and/or Apple in the NAV or just Sensus (which I love). Normally I just let my 'droid connect through bluetooth for text, phone, etc. However, if I want to use Waze, I just have to connect it through the cable. Using Apple would also require the lightening cord. That said, it's a smaller patch on the screen for the map. IMHO, Sensus is far superior to any NAV I've had so far, and I've had a few.

Old 02-17-2022, 01:35 PM

Android Automotive (not Android Auto) is the new hotness. Apps are being added fairly regularly to the compatible list in the Google Play Store. That said, our dealer told us that Android Auto and Apple CarPlay (which are just phone mirroring through an automaker-native wrapper, vs running natively on the vehicle itself) are supposedly coming this year.

We were disappointed that Amazon Music isn't a fully-featured app yet, but coming from Android Auto on previous and our other current vehicle, I much prefer the full integration of Android Automotive.

Give it time - Honda, Ford, and I think Cadillac are moving to Android Automotive this year for certain models, so there will be much more pull than just little Volvo, Polestar, and some boutique lux brands.

Old 02-21-2022, 09:18 AM

As far as Waze, it will not work without Apple Car play on an iphone. What you Can do is Bluetooth your iPhone as normal, use google maps for directions and then open waze without putting in a location. You will be able to hear Traffic problems, Police, Cars on side of roads etc. This works through the radio same as google directions in google maps. Until Apple car play is installed via an update from volvo waze will not show on screen. If its an Android phone this should work through your phone to the screen.

Old 02-22-2022, 08:14 AM

Thank, I like the idea. The the live traffic police updates is what I need. I tired it yesterday but my phone did not talk ? it was silent .. Is there a setting I need to change ? Was wondering if I needed to un pair my phone with the car to get it speak. In my other car I had to have the radio on like a media input to hear the phone when I was bluetooth connected ? but then you can't hear the radio ? I am close and really like the concept, just trying to figure out how to get it all to work together.

Thanks steve

Old 02-22-2022, 08:28 AM
Default Age Related

Originally Posted by steve1g
Thank, I like the idea. The the live traffic police updates is what I need. I tired it yesterday but my phone did not talk ? it was silent .. Is there a setting I need to change ? Was wondering if I needed to un pair my phone with the car to get it speak. In my other car I had to have the radio on like a media input to hear the phone when I was bluetooth connected ? but then you can't hear the radio ? I am close and really like the concept, just trying to figure out how to get it all to work together.

Thanks steve
I guess I'm getting older. I just don't have the 'need for speed' anymore when taking a trip. The seats in this Volvo make me just want to enjoy the windshield time and see the country w/o concern about where the cops are. But my Sensus NAV lady does speak to me. She alerts me when I'm approaching a traffic light camera . And the NAV image with Sensus is much larger than with 'droid or apple NAV.

Old 02-22-2022, 04:45 PM

I believe the sound volumes are on right top side of google maps. I’m Not in car. Do you get volume from waze on your phone when it’s Not connected to the Volvo? Make sure the volume is up on your phone. Thinking about making a video of what I do.

Old 02-22-2022, 07:55 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I never understand the hype about Waze. I respect that everyone has a preference of various apps but I don't get why some people lose their **** if they can't use waze. Google Maps is pretty damn good with updated maps, live traffic, routing, POIs and is so damn well integrated into 2022 XC60. I'm curious what are those mid boggling features that Waze provides which are not on Google Maps that people seem to go crazy?

The following 2 users liked this post by ValidUsername:
Cruiter (02-23-2022), VolvoDebbo (02-22-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 04:56 PM

The beautiful thing about waze is all the users input to it real time to give you even more information. example -- it shows where police are hidden, it tells you when cars are on the side of the road. where there are road hazards, dead animals. traffic jams people tell you which lane to get into and what the delay is. so much real tme data on top of great GPS directions.

Old 02-23-2022, 05:20 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Road hazard related info is available on Google Maps too (infact it pulls it from Waze). For police alerts, just follow damn traffic rules and you don't have to worry about it? I feel Waze is too noisy with too many alerts, kiddish icons popping up on the UI all the time, etc.

The following users liked this post:
Cruiter (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 07:53 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Is there a way to enable road hazard alerts on Google maps? I have a 2022 XC60 and when I input a destination it gives traffic delays information, but mine has not given me any road hazard alerts.

Old 02-24-2022, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by coasterwiggs
Is there a way to enable road hazard alerts on Google maps? I have a 2022 XC60 and when I input a destination it gives traffic delays information, but mine has not given me any road hazard alerts.
I know what happens when one 'assumes', however if your owner's manual is anything like mine than you should check it under NAVIGATION and find quite a bit of useful information. Mine is a 2021 with Sensus but yes, you can set the NAV to spot road hazards, construction sites, POI's, just about any category you can think of. Mine can even alert me to 'red light' cameras LOL.

Last edited by Cruiter; 02-24-2022 at 08:14 AM. Reason: correction