Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

2022 XC60 B6 Inscription - Does not auto-shut off!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 09:07 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry 2022 XC60 B6 Inscription - Does not auto-shut off!

I left the car running inside the closed garage. 6 hours later, the garage felt like 1,000 degrees and the car was STILL RUNNING!

I had less than a 1/4 tank of gas in the car and it ran that down to where the meter said that I had less than 5 miles before empty. I then had this "12v battery charging fault" that said the car should be stopped immediately. Thank god that I have a gas station at the end of the block I live on because that car could barely accelerate. Once I filled up, I called Volvo on Call and the rep told me that I have to take the car to the dealer. The closest Volvo dealer is 100 miles away!

After getting off that call, enough time had passed with the car idling that the "12v battery charging fault" error went away. I drove around the neighborhood for a while and now everything seems ok.

But I'm VERY UPSET that my car did not automatically shut off. I have an attached garage that's directly under my children's room. What if the carbon monoxide seeped into the house, or the car caught something else on fire? I AM SUPER FRUSTRATED with this car and Volvo corporate will be hearing from me!

Old 05-14-2022, 01:08 PM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by wvanellis
I left the car running inside the closed garage. 6 hours later, the garage felt like 1,000 degrees and the car was STILL RUNNING!

I had less than a 1/4 tank of gas in the car and it ran that down to where the meter said that I had less than 5 miles before empty. I then had this "12v battery charging fault" that said the car should be stopped immediately. Thank god that I have a gas station at the end of the block I live on because that car could barely accelerate. Once I filled up, I called Volvo on Call and the rep told me that I have to take the car to the dealer. The closest Volvo dealer is 100 miles away!

After getting off that call, enough time had passed with the car idling that the "12v battery charging fault" error went away. I drove around the neighborhood for a while and now everything seems ok.

But I'm VERY UPSET that my car did not automatically shut off. I have an attached garage that's directly under my children's room. What if the carbon monoxide seeped into the house, or the car caught something else on fire? I AM SUPER FRUSTRATED with this car and Volvo corporate will be hearing from me!
I'll bite and ask the question. Why do you want it to (auto shut off)? I've never heard of that. Just put your foot on the brake and twist the ****. It's your responsibility to turn the car off.

Old 05-14-2022, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I'll bite and ask the question. Why do you want it to (auto shut off)? I've never heard of that. Just put your foot on the brake and twist the ****. It's your responsibility to turn the car off.
I have a damn Ford sitting right next to it in my garage that gives you a warning that the car will automatically shut off if left unattended for more than 15 minutes. If you don't acknowledge that you're still in the car, the car will shut down. I found it to be annoying because I have a tendency to finish calls while sitting my car. But it was a great feature for when I got out of the car and forgot to turn off the engine (especially in the daytime when you can't the headlights).

For at least the last 15 years, I never owned a car that didn't have auto engine shut off functionality ESPECIALLY when the keys aren't in the car. This is basic safety functionality for most moder cars. SMDH...

Last edited by wvanellis; 05-14-2022 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:43 PM

I have a damn Ford sitting right next to it in my garage that gives you a warning that the car will automatically shut off if left unattended for more than 15 minutes. If you don't acknowledge that you're still in the car, the car will shut down. I found it to be annoying because I have a tendency to finish calls while sitting my car. But it was a great feature for when I got out of the car and forgot to turn off the engine (especially in the daytime when you can't the headlights).

For at least the last 15 years, I never owned a car that didn't have auto engine shut off functionality ESPECIALLY when the keys aren't in the car. This is basic safety functionality for most moder cars. SMDH...
I guess I'm just lucky. I've owned north of 200 cars in my lifetime (not all of them new), and only way to shut them off was to turn the key, push the button, or twist the ****. I've not read anything in the manual that if I leave my '21 XC60 running and just walk away, it will shut off. Now you can't lock it while it's running so that's not an issue (with exception of remote start while it's locked). In that case, I read somewhere it will shut down if you don't open it and get in. I guess my burning question is why would you want to leave it running and walk away??? Am I missing something here?

Last edited by Cruiter; 05-14-2022 at 10:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tontjenx (06-20-2023)
Old 05-15-2022, 08:54 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Is this a joke? I've never heard of anyone just walking away from a running car. It is illegal in my state (and most states (puffer laws). Take the extra 13 nanoseconds and shut the car off before you leave it.

The following 2 users liked this post by statman:
Cruiter (05-16-2022), Tontjenx (06-20-2023)
Old 05-15-2022, 10:04 AM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

The vehicle should display a warning / notification on the dashboard that the Ignition is still on when you open the door and it will also make a chime sound to get your attention (saw it just yesterday). There's a sequence of events (door open, foot on/off brake pedal, etc.) when exiting the vehicle that will auto shut-off or keep running.

I have no idea how a vehicle could run as long as the OP described since the engine turns off during standstill traffic.

edit: fixed a typo

Old 05-16-2022, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Gallego
The vehicle should display a warning / notification on the dashboard that the Ignition is still on when you open the door and it will also make a chime sound to get your attention (saw it just yesterday). There's a sequence of events (door open, foot on/off brake pedal, etc.) when exiting the vehicle that will auto shut-off or keep running.

I have no idea how a vehicle could run as long as the OP described since the engine turns off during standstill traffic.

edit: fixed a typo
That's the logic I was using to bring up the issue. If the engine turns off in stop-go traffc to help with emissions and gas mileage efficiency. It makes zero sense that it wouldn't turn off when the car is left unattended with no keys present. I tested it out again and the car was still running an hour after being left unattended. Something is certainly wrong because I can't imagine this is "working as designed".

Old 05-16-2022, 10:59 AM

That's the logic I was using to bring up the issue. If the engine turns off in stop-go traffc to help with emissions and gas mileage efficiency. It makes zero sense that it wouldn't turn off when the car is left unattended with no keys present. I tested it out again and the car was still running an hour after being left unattended. Something is certainly wrong because I can't imagine this is "working as designed".
I'm going back to your original post. Why on God's earth, would you leave the car running in a closed garage? That's what people trying to commit suicide do! You actually thought you could do that and it would shut itself off ??? You're a very lucky person. Buy a lotto ticket while your lucks running good. If I were you (and I'm not), I'd contact the moderator and try to remove the whole post string. Just my six bits.

Old 05-16-2022, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I'm going back to your original post. Why on God's earth, would you leave the car running in a closed garage? That's what people trying to commit suicide do! You actually thought you could do that and it would shut itself off ??? You're a very lucky person. Buy a lotto ticket while your lucks running good. If I were you (and I'm not), I'd contact the moderator and try to remove the whole post string. Just my six bits.
Are you freaking kidding me? It was an accident! HENCE the need for the safety feature to PREVENT ACCIDENTS!

You make it seem like leaving a car running is some whackadoodle impossibility that should never, ever happen!

Good Grief, your lame attempt at sarcasm and wit fell flat, and miserably so. Nice try tho...

Last edited by wvanellis; 05-16-2022 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:06 AM

Agree with you on this. If the keys were removed from the vehicle after being put in “Park”, then the car should account for user error, do a countdown and shut itself off.

I went looking through Volvo’s online owner manual for that error message I saw on the dashboard, but couldn’t find it. Would be good to have a picture posted of that if someone can replicate it and other posters are on the same page.

Also, Any idea how to report this Volvo? Seems like a software bug.

Old 05-17-2022, 06:26 AM
Received 88 Likes on 86 Posts

Interesting. It's kind of sad how much we need to rely on technology for simple daily tasks.

Old 05-17-2022, 06:45 AM

Yup. And the technology is getting more and more complicated too.

Old 05-18-2022, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Dingus1
Interesting. It's kind of sad how much we need to rely on technology for simple daily tasks.
And that's not a bad thing. We've all heard stories of people leaving cars running in attached garages and accidentally killing their whole families. Having tech in a car to prevent that or the tech of a trusty CO2 monitor in your house which only became a requirement in 2013, is tech well worth "relying on".

Old 05-18-2022, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Gallego
Yup. And the technology is getting more and more complicated too.
Yep, and that's certainly a problem.

Old 05-18-2022, 05:56 AM

And that's not a bad thing. We've all heard stories of people leaving cars running in attached garages and accidentally killing their whole families. Having tech in a car to prevent that or the tech of a trusty CO2 monitor in your house which only became a requirement in 2013, is tech well worth "relying on".
I do think it's a bad thing because it's not just this one situation. We NEED lane keep assist, blind spot detection, parking monitors, etc because so many people cant focus on just driving for more than 2 minutes without having to check their phone. Look at what all this technology cost us on a global level. Chip shortages everywhere because we use so many in places where they don't belong. Precious metal shortages because of the increase in wiring required. Sure the pandemic played into it a bit, but it's not the sole source of the issues.

When you NEED technology to do basic daily tasks for you, it becomes a problem. It's a good back up, sure, but relying solely on it, is problematic.

It's pathetic that I NEED a dash cam otherwise I have to kick rocks if anything happens to me while driving on my daily commute.

Old 05-18-2022, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Dingus1
I do think it's a bad thing because it's not just this one situation. We NEED lane keep assist, blind spot detection, parking monitors, etc because so many people cant focus on just driving for more than 2 minutes without having to check their phone. Look at what all this technology cost us on a global level. Chip shortages everywhere because we use so many in places where they don't belong. Precious metal shortages because of the increase in wiring required. Sure the pandemic played into it a bit, but it's not the sole source of the issues.

When you NEED technology to do basic daily tasks for you, it becomes a problem. It's a good back up, sure, but relying solely on it, is problematic.

It's pathetic that I NEED a dash cam otherwise I have to kick rocks if anything happens to me while driving on my daily commute.
I agree with your point as it relates to technology thrusted upon us, but you don't "need" a dash cam. You chose the dash cam. You can easily reject that technology and do what you did before the dash cam was invented, "kick rocks".

You shouldn't throw out the baby with the bath water. I'm not defending every technological advancement, although it seems that you are poo-pooing every technological advancement. There are certainly technological advancements/rules that are thrusted upon us that make no sense. For example, you can't use the infotainment panel when driving to navigate music, but you can sure use it to change climate and adjust your seats. How has it been proven that the use of the infotainment screen is a distraction when driving only when it comes to music and nothing else? However, on the flipside, there are tech advances that are thrusted upon us that are good, e.g., my example about the CO2 detectors.

The point I was trying to make since the initial post is that it's a safety hazard and a "green" contradiction for Volvo to not have auto-engine shut off for a parked car, when they already have that technology for when the car is in stop-go traffic.

Old 05-18-2022, 07:22 AM

I'll agree to disagree

The following users liked this post:
Cruiter (05-18-2022)