Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

All wheel drive issue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All wheel drive issue?

Has anyone felt
like their all wheel drive system is not working properly? The last 2 times I have driven in the snow my 2022 handled like a front wheel drive. The rear slid right out on me (not icey!). I have had multiple all wheel drive cars from other brands and never felt that I could not trust my car…

Old 03-08-2022, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

Not sure if anything has changed in recent years but Volvos are essentially a FWD car until the tracs control senses tire slippage - each wheel has its own speed sensor and if the fronts are sending a different speed from the rears, it will lock the center differential to share power to the rear wheels. That said, you could have a speed sensor issue, a differential locking issue or no issue at all - because the wheels were rotating while sliding sideways. I'd expect any issues with speed sensors of the differential would throw a fault code, but since your likely still under warranty, have the dealer check it out. Since you didn't mention seeing any blinky tracs lights or warning codes, I'd be inclined to blame the tires. AWD is not a replacement for winter tires since those are what lets you turn and stop. Sure not all cars are balanced the same, so not all AWD cars will perform the same in snow. At one point in time I owned a Grand Cherokee and an Audi Quattro. I'd throw 100 lbs of water softener salt bags in the trunk of the Audi to get it close to what the Jeep would do...

The following users liked this post:
Matzaobie (03-09-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 09:54 AM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Matzaobie
Has anyone felt
like their all wheel drive system is not working properly? The last 2 times I have driven in the snow my 2022 handled like a front wheel drive. The rear slid right out on me (not icey!). I have had multiple all wheel drive cars from other brands and never felt that I could not trust my car…
On my 2020 V90 Inscription T6, there's something called "ESC Sport Mode". While ESC cannot be disconnected, by selecting this option, will give the car more free-style driving dynamics. Not sure if your 2022 model has this. Suggest checking your car's settings.

Here's the info from my manual:

"Electronic Stability Control in sport mode The stability system (ESC6) is always activated and cannot be switched off. However, the driver can select ESC Sport Mode, which offers more active driving characteristics. With the ESC Sport Mode sub-function selected, intervention from the system is reduced and more lateral movement is permitted, giving the driver more control of the vehicle than usual. When ESC Sport Mode is selected, the function may seem to be disabled even though it continues to assist the driver. NOTE When ESC Sport Mode is selected, the trailer stabilizer (TSA7 ) is switched off."

Further, at least in my car, if "Sport Mode" is selected the following is noted i the manual:

"Activating or deactivating Sport mode for Electronic Stability Control The stability system (ESC8) is always activated and cannot be switched off. However, the driver can select Sport mode, which offers more active driving characteristics. Activate or deactivate the function using this button in the center display's Function view. • GREEN button indicator light – the function is activated. • GRAY button indicator light – the function is deactivated. When ESC Sport Mode is activated, this symbol will illuminate with a steady glow in the instrument panel. It will remain on until the driver deactivates the function or until the engine is turned off. The system will return to normal mode the next time the engine is started. The ESC Sport Mode function cannot be selected when any of the following functions are activated: • Cruise control • Adaptive Cruise Control* • Pilot Assist*

Old 03-12-2022, 12:35 PM
Received 614 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by Matzaobie
2022 handled like a front wheel drive. The rear slid right out on me (not icey!).
Is your B5 an AWD car? They are sold in FWD only.

Have you looked to make sure you have a rear diff and axles to the rear wheels?.

Old 03-12-2022, 02:09 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hoonk
Is your B5 an AWD car? They are sold in FWD only.

Have you looked to make sure you have a rear diff and axles to the rear wheels?.
Actually, the 2022 XC60 B5 was sold in both FWD and AWD configs.

Old 03-12-2022, 02:29 PM
Received 614 Likes on 579 Posts

Yes they are,