Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Cannot use SIM on 2023 XC60 Recharge

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot use SIM on 2023 XC60 Recharge

On my previous XC 40, I had my own SIM card inserted in the modem and I was able to use AT&T data services and have my own WiFi using the car modem. I just acquired a 2023 Volvo XC60 Recharge and I noticed there is a SIM card slot overhead near the central lights. I also noticed that the car seems to have its own internal "modem" (used by Volvo on Call and Google services). According to Volvo I cannot use my own SIM and Google using ESIM does not provide WiFi services. So while I may advance in the model I am moving back in technology. Almost all new cars have WiFi in the car --except for my high tech Volvo.

Old 02-24-2023, 07:42 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the same issue with my 2022 XC60 B5.... most disappointing not to have this functionality --- a big loss. What was Volvo thinking ??

The following users liked this post:
watson58 (02-24-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 12:52 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I never understood why you need a car to have it's own WiFi... and pay for the extra cell service, when you have WiFi (hotspot) on your phone that you are already paying for? We simply use the Hotspot on our phone to provide WiFi to our passengers that need it, and don't have to pay for the cell data from the car that we may or may not ever use.

So we can understand that the new Volvo has its own sim (cell connection) to use with Google OS, and we don't need the car to provide WiFi as we already have it on our phones. I am open to hear any benefits to having a car with its own WiFi that you have to pay for......

Old 02-27-2023, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
I never understood why you need a car to have it's own WiFi... and pay for the extra cell service, when you have WiFi (hotspot) on your phone that you are already paying for? We simply use the Hotspot on our phone to provide WiFi to our passengers that need it, and don't have to pay for the cell data from the car that we may or may not ever use.

So we can understand that the new Volvo has its own sim (cell connection) to use with Google OS, and we don't need the car to provide WiFi as we already have it on our phones. I am open to hear any benefits to having a car with its own WiFi that you have to pay for......

OK so here is a scenario. I am away from home by myself, I stepped into my car and turned on my phone. What WiFi am I connected to on my phone? If I need to connect my phone to WiFi what WiFi can I connect to? Some of my apps on my phone won''t work unless I have WiFi.

So basically, I am not talking about the car being able to tether to my phone but rather my phone being able to connect to WiFi. In my XC 40, I just select WiFi on my phone and connect to the car WiFi.

Old 02-27-2023, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by watson58
OK so here is a scenario. I am away from home by myself, I stepped into my car and turned on my phone. What WiFi am I connected to on my phone? If I need to connect my phone to WiFi what WiFi can I connect to? Some of my apps on my phone won''t work unless I have WiFi.

So basically, I am not talking about the car being able to tether to my phone but rather my phone being able to connect to WiFi. In my XC 40, I just select WiFi on my phone and connect to the car WiFi.
Why do you need your phone to connect to WiFi (Cellular Data) from the car when your phone has it's own Cellular Data service that you are paying for? Whether its Cellular data from the car or Cellular data from your phone, it's still cellular data that you are paying for. Why have 2 Cell plans when 1 will work?

Some Apps you can switch to only work with "WiFi" which ASSUME that the WiFi is a land based internet connection to save you $$, so you reduce your cellular data (needed unless you have unlimited Cell plan). Yet in your example it's still Cellular Data.
I'm still confused

Old 02-27-2023, 03:07 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I disagree.... On our cell plans (2 phones, both unlimited text, unlimited data), adding hotspot access would require different cell plans. Changing plans would cost significantly more than what I used to incrementally pay the provider for the car modem in my 2019 XC40.

The following users liked this post:
watson58 (02-28-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by hshlevin1
I disagree.... On our cell plans (2 phones, both unlimited text, unlimited data), adding hotspot access would require different cell plans. Changing plans would cost significantly more than what I used to incrementally pay the provider for the car modem in my 2019 XC40.
OK, sounds like you need different cell plan. I also expect adding Hotspot to your phones will probably cost less than a 3rd cell plan with unlimited data and Hotspot capabilities for the car with todays plans.

We have 2 lines, both Unlimited Data, Talk, Text, & Hotspot. Each line costs $29.99 per month including all taxes and fees. (Spectrum Mobile).

Something you might want to price out. Might save you some $$

Old 02-28-2023, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
Why do you need your phone to connect to WiFi (Cellular Data) from the car when your phone has it's own Cellular Data service that you are paying for? Whether its Cellular data from the car or Cellular data from your phone, it's still cellular data that you are paying for. Why have 2 Cell plans when 1 will work?

Some Apps you can switch to only work with "WiFi" which ASSUME that the WiFi is a land based internet connection to save you $$, so you reduce your cellular data (needed unless you have unlimited Cell plan). Yet in your example it's still Cellular Data.
I'm still confused
Look, I'm not going to get back and forth with this issue. I thought my explanation should've "unconfuse" you since Im pretty clear about my need. Again, some apps, downloads, real time data requires connection not through cellular but WiFi services. Regardless on what your stand is, my question is WHY it wasn't included in the XC 60 especially when it does have a SIM card and that it is available on the cheaper brother the XC 40.