Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Dead XC60 running v2.5

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 03:22 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

My car upgraded to v2.5 a couple of weeks before it died on the driveway (apparently v2.5 was sold as the fix for the dead car woes)

It’s may just be coincidence that v2.5.2 has been seen in the US and v2.6 is now available and v2.7 is even being discussed, all hot on the heals of v2.5. Maybe v2.5 has turned out to be troublesome and has not fixed the spontaneous dead car syndrome.

Old 02-02-2023, 01:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Looks like TCAM issue

Dealer now says that it was the TCAM communications with the TCAM batteries and battery system that caused main battery to drain. Software patch applied as per the Technical Service Bulletin. Dealer advised that our particular chassis was not included in the original recall for this issue ! Not sure I fully understand it all yet , still awaiting the full diagnostic report before taking the vehicle back Will update this thread when we get the report. Fortunately, after some hassle and poor comms with Volvo Assist we did get a replacement vehicle.

Originally Posted by Zeta2
Really sorry to hear of your nightmare (at least mine died on the driveway, but next time it could be anywhere.)

My MY22 XC60 is still with the dealer after two weeks – most of this time being taken up trying to argue that Volvo UK should cover the replacement of the 12v battery under warranty, which they eventually did in the end of last week. But the definitive cause has still not been discovered.

From my conversations with my dealer and conversations on the Volvo forums, there still does not appear to be one definitive reason for what is causing the ‘spontaneous dead car syndrome’.

So far there have been a number of possible culprits identified:
  • TCAM damage due to roof seal leak
  • Software version bugs
  • False charging system and its communication between the 12v and 48v battery making the battery think it’s charged

What version software are you currently on?

Out of the three possible culprits above, I’m beginning to lean towards the false charging issue as my car died after a long 250 mile run – a bit like your long run.

Volvo must conclude this issue as the number of people suffering spontaneous dead car syndrome is growing.

Old 02-02-2023, 02:32 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JohninUK
Dealer now says that it was the TCAM communications with the TCAM batteries and battery system that caused main battery to drain. Software patch applied as per the Technical Service Bulletin. Dealer advised that our particular chassis was not included in the original recall for this issue ! Not sure I fully understand it all yet , still awaiting the full diagnostic report before taking the vehicle back Will update this thread when we get the report. Fortunately, after some hassle and poor comms with Volvo Assist we did get a replacement vehicle.
I would be very interested to know exactly what (Software Patch?) was applied and what (Service Bulletin?) they are following. My car was the same – not included in the original recall for TCAM.

I got the car back from the dealer yesterday – with a new 12v battery fitted and the TCAM battery recharged, but concerningly after weeks of testing the car, they cannot find anything wrong with it. The car is still on v2.5 as v2.6 has not yet been released to UK dealers.