Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Engine mount locations

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine mount locations

I am getting a low rumble in the cabin when in reverse and disappears in drive. I had replaced the torsion bar and now I am looking for the motor mounts locations. The passenger side top looks fine. The drivers side I havent "dug" in on that side yet. I had looked at the passenger side lower mount and I'm skeptical however, what I am looking at has the axle thru the middle of it. So I am looking for mount schematic. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Old 09-18-2019, 10:24 AM

The mounts may look fine but they could be worn and rubber became loose.
I just replaced both the left side and right side engine mounts on the 2012 XC60. Comparing the new and old mounts, the passenger side mount's top has lowered slightly,no oil leak. The driver side mount still looks good, no oil leak but it flexes a lot more than the new mount. To replace passenger side mount is fairly easy, just lift coolant tank and remove upper torque rod. To replace driver side mount, it's harder. You need to remove battery, battery box, air intake filter box, wiggle and slide fuse box sideways and the lift up sightly to access the two small bolts under the fuse box. The driver side mount is under the bracket beside the bottom of the fuse box. Be careful of the hood lock cable, I carelessly routed it so it stretch too tight. Make sure it's loose.

The reason I replaced them is this car has 125k miles and experienced some symptoms. Sometimes, it makes a clunk noise when shift between PRND. Also during these shifts, I noticed the whole car's body bounced back and forth slightly ~ half inch.
After the replacements, the above symptoms are gone. I also noticed the engine is a lot more responsive to the gas pedal and feels sporty. It also solved one small problem. Previously, when I stopped on slight uphill at traffic light, when I let go of brake and press gas pedal, the car momentarily rolled back slightly before going forward. After changing both motor mounts, this issue seems to be fixed. It maybe due to the loose engine mount causing the engine to lose some initial torque.
The upper torque mount's rubber is half broken, I will replace it next. I inspected two torque mounts at the bottom of the car, the rubber portion still look very good. They are easier to change. No rush to do them yet. Maybe next year.

Last edited by cloud7272; 09-18-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:27 AM

Than you for the information. I'm not getting any clunking but in reverse there is weird noise, sounds like motor is making a grumble that goes away in drive. My thought it was a mount causing the motor to hit the firewall. I need to dig in but not sure where to look now. But they are original with over 200k on them.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:34 AM

Check out these two videos:
S80 is the same for XC60. Same engine.
This guy jacked the engine under the bottom torque rod bracket and the engine moved a little. I don't think that's a good spot. I jacked at the edge of the oil pan using a block of wood.
No need to disconnect the two small coolant hoses.

Last edited by cloud7272; 09-18-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:00 AM

The second video is very very similar to what I have going on. Thanks for posting the videos!

Old 10-28-2019, 11:21 AM

Turned out the noise was from the passenger side upper mount. Sounds great now.

Thank you