Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Engine turns over but won't start

Old 07-17-2018, 02:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine turns over but won't start

Good day,

I am having a strange issue with my 2009 Volvo XC60 D5. The first time I experienced this issue was +- 3 years ago, where the engine would crank but not start after returning to the car when it was parked and locked. This happened twice, the first time I towed it home and the next day it started without any issues. The second time I towed it home as well, but continued to remove the fuel tank to check if the fuel pump was dirty / blocked.

I did not find much wrong with the fuel pump, returned it and all was fine until the past weekend. After returning from a long trip, the car was parked, some luggage unloaded and upon return to the vehicle, it once again would not start. The car was towed home again with the plan to remove the fuel tank again the following day. Come the next day, tried starting it just to make sure and it once again started.

This seems to be unrelated to the fuel pump, except if the waiting period some how dislodges whatever is causing the pump not to provide fuel. The last time we removed the fuel tank, I connected "spare" wires to the fuel pump's input, to allow us to manually test the pump when this occurs. While it wouldn't start, I tried manually operating the pump by connecting it to a battery, but there was no sound from the pump, leading me to believe that it was already under pressure, thus no need for the pump to pump, or something blocking the pump to prevent it from pumping.

Does anyone know if this could be the work of the immobiliser? Maybe some weird signal is detected from the key and this places the car in a "time lock" state, where only after x amount of time has passed, the car can start again? I am now using the spare key to see if that makes a difference.

Thank you,
Loutjie

Old 07-17-2018, 02:10 AM

I totally forgot that I already had a thread created for this issue, which I experienced in 2016, thus 2 years ago as apposed to the 3 years mentioned in my post. My last post indicated that I believed the cleaning of the fuel pump system to be the solution, but I have since started questioning this again, since it happened again now. I will be trying to better troubleshoot the issue this time around.

The thread mentioned can be found here: https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...-issues-88225/.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:24 AM

A final update on this thread, the problem was solved. The solution to the problem is explained in the other thread that I created for this problem. https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...-issues-88225/