Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Installing Apple Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 03:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing Apple Carplay

Is there any way to install Apple Carplay in my 2017 XC60? I don't want to lose my built-in navigation for back up camera. The dealer says they can't do it.

Thank you.

The following users liked this post:
ezequielnyc (03-14-2021)
Old 10-31-2019, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have thought about this for my 2015 xc60 but have not tried it yet. https://www.navtool.com/volvo-xc60-2...e-carplay.aspx

Old 12-07-2019, 12:25 PM

You could find some solutions on ali express or bangood, but I have no knowledge if they work properly. I am looking for a solution as well.
If you have the new shape, then there is a volvo part that can make it happen, but I guess it doesn't apply for the older shapes.

Old 05-01-2020, 06:50 AM

Hi All - this issue is plaguing me as well. I just bought a used 2018 Volvo V60 T5, which are among the few models that don't have carplay, and also do not have a aftermarket or retrofit package option. However as luck would have it I happened to be searching youtube and someone just posted this video. It appears to have been posted just yesterday. April 30, 2020. check it out:

there's no information regarding the unit itself that is show being installed (part number, manufacturer, ect) but it looks promising.

Old 05-03-2020, 04:02 PM

Here is the link to the store US shoppers: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...40be214aujJv3X

Old 06-19-2020, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by apwaterman
Hi All - this issue is plaguing me as well. I just bought a used 2018 Volvo V60 T5, which are among the few models that don't have carplay, and also do not have a aftermarket or retrofit package option. However as luck would have it I happened to be searching youtube and someone just posted this video. It appears to have been posted just yesterday. April 30, 2020. check it out:

there's no information regarding the unit itself that is show being installed (part number, manufacturer, ect) but it looks promising.
I purchased one and ended up trading in my 2017 XC60 for a 2020 model. I have the unit and will sell it if anyone is interested in it.

Old 07-20-2020, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Fred Rocha
I purchased one and ended up trading in my 2017 XC60 for a 2020 model. I have the unit and will sell it if anyone is interested in it.
I am interested in the unit.

Old 07-20-2020, 03:45 PM

I'm sorry, I listed the unit on eBay and it sold. Thank you for asking.

Old 12-18-2020, 12:09 PM

Anyone have any information or experience on performance, functionality, etc on the unit shown in the video above?

Old 12-28-2020, 04:58 PM

This would work well. It's a plug and play unit.

https://cplay2air.com/products/cplay...saAhnZEALw_wcB

Old 12-28-2020, 05:38 PM

That is only if you already have CarPlay- The unit at the top of the post enables CarPlay on the model years that don't have it.

Old 01-14-2021, 10:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Works well- just installed today

Originally Posted by quinniusmaximus
Anyone have any information or experience on performance, functionality, etc on the unit shown in the video above?

I installed this CarPlay unit from Kremersino. I bought it at AliExpress (China). Delivery was about 1 month. I reviewed the videos for my Volvo at their site. I also looked for a video on YouTube for my 2015.5 XC70 that explained how to disassemble the center console. I also purchased a set of plastic interior trim tools, so i could take apart my interior without damage. With enough patience and caution, I was able to do it well.

My unit does have an issue where the video display was not working. I have been able to chat with the support on their website, in real time. They gave me a work-around which has temporarily fixed the video display issue. They will contact me tomorrow about a permanent fix (or send me a new unit).

It took a little troubleshooting to get the audio to work correctly. It turns out, that I had to disable the Bluetooth connection to MyVolvo. Once I selected “Forget This Device” (Settings>Bluetooth>My Volvo>scroll to bottom) then the audio works great. Siri, texting, phone calls, maps all work fine.

Another issue: I am still waiting to find out about my Volvo factory backup camera. Right now, I have to exit the CarPlay to see my camera. To exit CarPlay I long-hold the Exit button on my steering wheel. To return to the CarPlay, long-hold the Exit button again. I want the camera to come on automatically when I put the car in reverse. Kremersino sends a cable for camera input with a wire labeled (reverse detection). So, I assume there is a way to make this happen, I just have not found any instructions on-line. Kremersino is based in China, they are 13 hours off of EST, so they are closed right now.

I can’t speak to how long it has taken, because my car it still apart 😏. It took me about 3 hours to get it apart and install the unit (after watching all the videos a few times. 👍 The instructions from Kremersino do not say to disconnect your battery, but it seemed like a wise choice to me....

Kevin

Old 01-29-2021, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Keandau
I installed this CarPlay unit from Kremersino. I bought it at AliExpress (China). Delivery was about 1 month. I reviewed the videos for my Volvo at their site. I also looked for a video on YouTube for my 2015.5 XC70 that explained how to disassemble the center console. I also purchased a set of plastic interior trim tools, so i could take apart my interior without damage. With enough patience and caution, I was able to do it well.

My unit does have an issue where the video display was not working. I have been able to chat with the support on their website, in real time. They gave me a work-around which has temporarily fixed the video display issue. They will contact me tomorrow about a permanent fix (or send me a new unit).

It took a little troubleshooting to get the audio to work correctly. It turns out, that I had to disable the Bluetooth connection to MyVolvo. Once I selected “Forget This Device” (Settings>Bluetooth>My Volvo>scroll to bottom) then the audio works great. Siri, texting, phone calls, maps all work fine.

Another issue: I am still waiting to find out about my Volvo factory backup camera. Right now, I have to exit the CarPlay to see my camera. To exit CarPlay I long-hold the Exit button on my steering wheel. To return to the CarPlay, long-hold the Exit button again. I want the camera to come on automatically when I put the car in reverse. Kremersino sends a cable for camera input with a wire labeled (reverse detection). So, I assume there is a way to make this happen, I just have not found any instructions on-line. Kremersino is based in China, they are 13 hours off of EST, so they are closed right now.

I can’t speak to how long it has taken, because my car it still apart 😏. It took me about 3 hours to get it apart and install the unit (after watching all the videos a few times. 👍 The instructions from Kremersino do not say to disconnect your battery, but it seemed like a wise choice to me....

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

Thanks a lot for the detailed post of your experience. Do you think its working good for you now? I want to make sure before I place an order. As you said that they sent you a cable for reverse sensing, so now the reverse camera is working when you are in carplay mode? Also I was going through their website and one thing I didn't understand about the OEM microphone which I am pasting below.

"About OEM Microphone

Why we cancel OEM microphone function at small models"

Do they mean above that they cancel OEM microphone for "some" models instead of "small". Was this the case in Volvo? or do you use the original Volvo mic?
Please let me know so I can go ahead and order. Its hassle to order from China cos if there are any issues then shipping, returning everything takes months. (Website screenshot below....)

Last edited by Tarun Katariya; 01-29-2021 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:19 PM

Hello Tarun,

As of right now (1/29/21) they have not fixed the issues I was experiencing. They were extremely easy to communicate with and they were genuinely interested in helping me. Here is what I learned which, I think, will answer your questions:
1. They updated the box in the last few months of 2020. Because it is so new, they have not tested it on every Volvo model and every year of that model. They have to find a car locally at a car dealer and ask to use it for testing...
2. There were some model year XC60’s which they discovered a few bugs. They fixed those bugs and updated the software.
3. My 2015.5 XC70 is the first car of that model/ year to try the new update. Unfortunately, it was discovered that the bug effects my car too. So, they have to correct the software, test it, and send out an update. The “bug” is that the video display will not turn on automatically. They provided a temporary way around it, but it involves installing a switch under the dash. I have to flip the switch each time I turn on/off the car. With this temporary switch under the dash, the unit works fairly good.
4. Another bug is that the Reverse Camera does not turn on with my CarPlay. They have acknowledged it, and will fix it with the update. Again, it seems it may only effect certain model/ years that have not been tested.
5. With the new update the OEM Microphone has been corrected completely. You do not need a secondary mic. The new box uses my Volvo mic. It sounds great. Everyone says the voice quality is excellent. The representative I chatted with said the put high grade components in the new box to improve this feature.
6. I find my car does not always automatically connect to my phone. I have to manually go into my iPhone/ Bluetooth settings and select the CarPlay box to connect about 25% of the time.

Hope this helps

Old 02-02-2021, 05:18 PM
Angry

Hello Tarun,

As of right now (1/29/21) they have not fixed the issues I was experiencing. They were extremely easy to communicate with and they were genuinely interested in helping me. Here is what I learned which, I think, will answer your questions:
1. They updated the box in the last few months of 2020. Because it is so new, they have not tested it on every Volvo model and every year of that model. They have to find a car locally at a car dealer and ask to use it for testing...
2. There were some model year XC60’s which they discovered a few bugs. They fixed those bugs and updated the software.
3. My 2015.5 XC70 is the first car of that model/ year to try the new update. Unfortunately, it was discovered that the bug effects my car too. So, they have to correct the software, test it, and send out an update. The “bug” is that the video display will not turn on automatically. They provided a temporary way around it, but it involves installing a switch under the dash. I have to flip the switch each time I turn on/off the car. With this temporary switch under the dash, the unit works fairly good.
4. Another bug is that the Reverse Camera does not turn on with my CarPlay. They have acknowledged it, and will fix it with the update. Again, it seems it may only effect certain model/ years that have not been tested.
5. With the new update the OEM Microphone has been corrected completely. You do not need a secondary mic. The new box uses my Volvo mic. It sounds great. Everyone says the voice quality is excellent. The representative I chatted with said the put high grade components in the new box to improve this feature.
6. I find my car does not always automatically connect to my phone. I have to manually go into my iPhone/ Bluetooth settings and select the CarPlay box to connect about 25% of the time.

Hope this helps
Thanks Kevin for the update. I also have a 2015.5 but XC60. I think the upsides are more than the downsides of OEM Volvo Sensus Angry. I should bite the bullet and order it. Once I have it, I may ask you some questions if I hit a snag during install Talking. Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
GermanRedrum (06-19-2023)
Old 02-08-2021, 06:56 PM

Yes, that is fine. I'm happy to answer any questions if I can.

It's been a few weeks since I installed it and I absolutely feel the upsides are worth the issues I am experiencing. However, I don't mind messing around with technology. My wife, on the other hand, would not use it if she is driving the car because she hates messing around with the technology. For her, it had better work correctly as soon as she gets in the car.

I feel that once they get the two or three bugs fixed, it will be flawless.

Just hit the "speak" button on your steering wheel and Siri turns on. Then say something like "Directions to 'so and so'" and the map immediately pops up on the screen with directions to someone in your contacts or to an address you give it. This works much better than the Volvo Map system which rarely understands what I say. Phone calls, text messages, music playlists - all of them work perfectly. Press the "speak" button on the steering wheel and say what you want.

My Tacoma uses Apple CarPlay too, but it is a Touch Screen. Truthfully, I like the touch screen better than using the voice commands. I know you have to take your eyes off the road more, but for me it is less distracting. I have to contemplate HOW to say something to Siri before using it...slow brain, I guess.

Kevin

Last edited by Keandau; 02-08-2021 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:31 AM

Hello Tarun,

... The “bug” is that the video display will not turn on automatically. They provided a temporary way around it, but it involves installing a switch under the dash. I have to flip the switch each time I turn on/off the car. With this temporary switch under the dash, the unit works fairly good.
I am experiencing the same bug (display not turning on). Kremersino support is rather slow in replying to my support request. Could you tell me how exactly this workaround is established?
Update 2021-05-10: Kremersino is not responding at all, not via email, supportform, Skype and so on. The online chat has been off line for a week now.

Last edited by -KJ-; 05-10-2021 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:31 PM

I'm experiencing the same issue in my Volvo: a black screen. Kremersino doesn't reply to messages via email, Telegram, Skype and the support form on the website. The support chat has been down for over a week now. Could you please share the workaround they gave you?

Old 05-15-2021, 07:06 PM

Hi, I sent a private message to you a few days ago, but perhaps you did not see it...

Connect a 20 gauge wire to a fuse under the dash (use a fuse that turns off when the car is off!) and attach the wire to the red wire in the bundle which comes out the back of the box. This red wire has a tag on it which reads 12V. Once that wire is connected, the display works great.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-16-2021, 05:35 AM

Thanks! I see no messages in my inbox on the forum, but thank you for replying in this topic also. I finally got in touch with Kremersino and they suggested exactly the same workaround as you descibed. They say they are working on a permanent solution via software. My aftermarket front and rear cams also not working as there seems to be no detection of the R and D canbus signal from the automatic gearbox. This is also under investigation.

Quick Reply: Installing Apple Carplay