Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Installing Apple Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kevin thanks for the great info you've provided, I'm close to a decision on this Kremersino CarPlay for my 2016 XC60.
Just a couple of things holding me back if you (or anyone who has it) could clarify:

With the CarPlay unit running:
- Do you still get Volvo warning sounds, like park assist, backup assist?
- I assume you cannot see controls that show up on the Volvo screen like Temp setting, radio volume?
- Can you easily switch back to the factory radio/screen with the long press on Exit? And I assum it just disables the CarPlay?
- Can you have your iPhone maps, Waze or whatever, working at the same time as listening to radio or CD?
- I assume there are still issues with the backup camera not working it - but was that on only certain year XC60s?

Thanks for any info!

Jerry

Old 05-18-2021, 08:40 AM

Kevin thanks for the great info you've provided, I'm close to a decision on this Kremersino CarPlay for my 2016 XC60.
Just a couple of things holding me back if you (or anyone who has it) could clarify:

- With the CarPlay unit running:
- Do you still get Volvo warning sounds, like park assist, backup assist?
- I assume you cannot see controls that show up on the Volvo screen like Temp setting, radio volume?
- Can you easily switch back to the factory radio/screen with the long press on Exit? And I assum it just disables the CarPlay?
- Can you have your iPhone maps, Waze or whatever, working at the same time as listening to radio or CD?
- I assume there are still issues with the backup camera not working it - but was that on only certain year XC60s?

Thanks!

Jerry

Old 05-18-2021, 03:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Someone was asking more questions about the Kremersino CarPlay box. Here is a copy of the conversation, in case it helps anyone else..

Originally Posted by Fender2551
Hi Kevin - sorry for the private message I've tried adding this post in the Forum but can't seem to get it approved.

Thanks for the great info you've provided, I'm close to a decision on this Kremersino CarPlay for my 2016 XC60.

With the CarPlay unit running:
Do you still get Volvo warning sounds, like park assist, backup assist? --- Yes, I still get all car/driving alerts

I assume you cannot see controls that show up on the Volvo screen like Temp setting, radio volume? --- That is correct. My heated seats also show on the screen, so I have to switch back and forth to adjust the temperature and the seats. This is really the most annoying part of the whole thing...

Can you easily switch back to the factory radio/screen with the long press on Exit? And I assum it just disables the CarPlay? --- Long press the Exit button switches your screen between both systems. They run parallel with each other. Both the Factory System and CarPlay are functioning at the same time, but you can only see one system at a time on the display.

Can you have your iPhone maps, Waze or whatever, working at the same time as listening to radio or CD? --- Yes, you can, but at a cost... The speakers in your car can only process one system at a time. To use the CarPlay, you select the "Aux" for your sound system. Using this, you can hear the Maps/ Waze turn-by-turn instruction, use Siri to turn on music, make calls/ texts. Since both the Volvo system and the CarPlay system are running at the same time, you can have your CarPlay on the display and have the Volvo system on CD/Radio instead of Aux. BUT, you cannot hear the turn-by-turn, Siri, or phone calls or any other CarPlay sounds.

I assume there are still issues with the backup camera not working it - but was that on only certain year XC60s? --- My back up camera still does not work while CarPlay is running. I have a 2015.5 XC70. The people at Kremersino told me that the issue only effects certain vehicles/ years. I do not know about a 2016 XC60. Sorry.

Thanks!

Jerry

The following 2 users liked this post by Keandau:
Darius Sh (05-22-2021), Fender2551 (05-19-2021)
Old 05-22-2021, 07:17 AM

does anyone have a firmware update for the Kremersin device. maybe you can share?

Old 05-22-2021, 07:50 AM

I have the update. However, after installing it, my CarPlay box still needs the 12V wire hooked up and my reverse camera will not work in CarPlay mode. So, I am not convinced the update will be of any use.

If they sent you the update, the instructions which came with the update may have said you need to 'format your USB drive with FAT (or FAT32)'. This is not correct. I had to format my USB drive with NTFS. After that, the update happened just as they described- but without the problem being fixed.

Really, I don't care about the 12V issue. I just connected to a fuse that turns off when the ignition turns off and the CarPlay box functions perfectly (except for the reverse camera). I think the idea is, it is one more step that they did not originally intend. They want it to work without the need for the added 12V. But once I connected the 12V, there really is no need to update and remove the 12V wire...

Still hoping for a reverse camera fix. Right now, I just long press the Exit button before backing up and press it again when moving forward.

Kevin

Old 08-03-2021, 03:16 PM

I found this vid on YouTube. Cant see the brand name tho.

Old 08-04-2021, 05:47 AM

Yes, I saw this one too before I ordered my unit. The one in this video does not look like mine and I do not think it is from the same manufacturer

As of now, my unit still does not have reverse camera and the company has stopped responding to my emails. They sent me a software update, but when that did not fix the issue, they went silent.

Old 08-09-2021, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Keandau
Yes, I saw this one too before I ordered my unit. The one in this video does not look like mine and I do not think it is from the same manufacturer

As of now, my unit still does not have reverse camera and the company has stopped responding to my emails. They sent me a software update, but when that did not fix the issue, they went silent.
Totally lame.

Old 06-15-2023, 08:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear camera issue

Curious if anyone has found a fix for this, I just installed mine today.

The following users liked this post:
David STTO (12-28-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by quinniusmaximus
That is only if you already have CarPlay- The unit at the top of the post enables CarPlay on the model years that don't have it.
So then I assume my 2015 T6 won't work with that unit.

Old 12-27-2023, 09:29 PM
Default Upgrade full screen carplay

Originally Posted by ccourt08
Is there any way to install Apple Carplay in my 2017 XC60? I don't want to lose my built-in navigation for back up camera. The dealer says they can't do it.

Thank you.
there are many CarPlay adapters available that support a reverse camera. It might be helpful to check out this video for more information or to explore an alternative upgrade option:

Last edited by David STTO; 12-28-2023 at 12:24 AM.