Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Just picked up 2022

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 10:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Just picked up 2022

Just picked up our 3rd Volvo today, 2022 XC60 B5 Inscription in Black.

The car is wonderful but the software so far is…very incomplete. Almost nothing at all shows in the gauge cluster. No Car Play or Android Auto. No SiriusXM. Just a few sketchy options in the Play store. Many options missing in the settings. Can’t even figure out if I have AM radio available.

Here’s hoping there are a lot of updates coming soon because these cars aren’t going to sell on their good looks alone! Anyone have any experience with the ‘22s yet? I assume I’m not alone in this…

The following 5 users liked this post by Jnox3:
Chrissie (10-01-2021), EllonLeopard (01-01-2023), GOONER (10-24-2021), Ljackson (08-24-2021), Ros (12-03-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congratulations to you! I'm planning on getting the same model as you but would like to know more. I understand its on Google Automative and have seen some videos complaining about the above but am largely curious to know if Google Assistant and Map, GPS etc are working without a hitch? No lag, smooth experience? Connection to phone all good?

Old 08-14-2021, 10:52 AM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Not sure when Volvo stopped adding AM reception on their radios but my two month old XC60 T8 2021 doesn't have it. But everything else seems to work well. I've loaded the 'larger' owners manual onto my cell so I can sit in the driveway and look everything up while playing with/adjusting all the settings. So many computers in this car I've officially named it 'Watson 2'. The 1st Watson was my Z51 C7 'Vette.

The following users liked this post:
dgb1948 (08-18-2021)
Old 08-14-2021, 12:15 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe all T8's do NOT have Am radio. https://www.xc90.org/threads/fyi-no-...w-xc90-t8.209/

Old 08-15-2021, 10:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jolv
congratulations to you! I'm planning on getting the same model as you but would like to know more. I understand its on Google Automative and have seen some videos complaining about the above but am largely curious to know if Google Assistant and Map, GPS etc are working without a hitch? No lag, smooth experience? Connection to phone all good?
Yes, everything that is there works flawlessly. There's none of the lag or long start up delay that my daughter's '21 XC40 has. I haven't run into anything that looks like a bug and this is definitely going to be a nice step up for Volvo...eventually.

Phone connection is only through bluetooth as near as I can tell, but it has LTE built in so you don't really need the phone except for calling. One of the USB ports has the white outline like the previous years, but it doesn't do anything like the Android Auto or Apple Carplay. You're limited to the apps that you can download through the radio and there are VERY few of those. I've taken to using Spotify + TuneIn as my replacement for Sirius XM. Spotify works great and the Harmon Kardon sound is fantastic.

Other things that are missing (or I can't find!) that I'm used to in the Inscriptions:

- Can't change the layout of the digital gauges at all, no audio status there, nothing. It really looks unfinished.
- There aren't any drive modes, I can just make the steering "firm" or not
- Can't adjust the sensitivity of the auto headlights
- Can't adjust the interior lighting
- Virtually no status gauges for temperature/oil/mpg/etc.
- The phone app doesn't work, so no auto start, remote unlock, etc

It doesn't feel broken at all, it just feels incomplete and as it is now, I don't think it's going to be very competitive against Audi, MB, etc. I'm hopefull that there are going to be updates (which apparently come over the air) that add a few of these features back.

Obviously none of them are deal breakers for me and I'm learning to live without them, but if you've had Inscriptions in the past then this will definitely feel like a bit of a step back until the software evolves a bit

Old 08-16-2021, 03:54 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default got 2022 xc60

Originally Posted by Jnox3

The car is wonderful but the software so far is…very incomplete. Almost nothing at all shows in the gauge cluster. No Car Play or Android Auto. No SiriusXM. Just a few sketchy options in the Play store. Many options missing in the settings. Can’t even figure out if I have AM radio available.

Here’s hoping there are a lot of updates coming soon because these cars aren’t going to sell on their good looks alone! Anyone have any experience with the ‘22s yet? I assume I’m not alone in this…
felt same way !! unfinished infotainment! .. I even faced instrumental panel , wireless charging glitch ..had to hard reset to fix those !!

dealers kept saying carplay / android auto may come with next update .. no legit information!

Barnstablerw (01-12-2022)
Old 08-17-2021, 05:00 AM

Additional question; did they remove anything due to chip shortage? I'm hearing power tailgate is removed whereas elsewhere might lose out on blind spot monitoring

Old 08-18-2021, 07:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ordered a 2022 Inscription last night. Currently still on a ship heading to Halifax before being delivered sometime late September / early October. From speaking to the dealer there is supposed to be a major update coming sometime this fall. Adding new features to the instrument screen. For Sat radio the hardware is called out as being on the car but has a red star leading the dealer to believe it will be added in at sometime with a software update. But there still seems to be very little information to dealers about timelines on this. Agreed the system is still very unfinished but i do think given this is the future system for all volvos they will be pushing updates as quickly as they can

Ljackson (09-07-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 07:53 AM

For the one I just ordered nothing has been removed

Old 09-04-2021, 10:22 AM
Default I recently bought 22 XC60 as well…

Saw this yesterday in Boston (Polestar)

My new XC60 is very nice but… As others have said, the software is definitely incomplete and it feels as though they rushed to get it out. My 2015 XC60 was totaled so I was a little rushed into buying as well. It feels like I’m driving the Death Star. I miss the 300 HP my old car had but yesterday I averaged 33 mpg on a trip to Boston with traffic and city driving without being particularly careful. Google maps works wonderful. Missing some features that the phone app has but that’s to be expected.

Last edited by Jayd; 09-04-2021 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Forgot to say…
Old 09-05-2021, 10:59 AM
Default Try connecting your phone with USB to see if CarPlay shows on infotainment

Try connecting your phone with USB to see if CarPlay shows on infotainment

longhaul (09-27-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 12:16 PM

Hello, I just picked up my new 2022 XC60 B5 Inscription as well and find the media center archaic and frustrating. Understanding that this is a known issue there really should be some information provided in writing during the sales process that outlines the plan Volvo has to bring the car up to date. I hate every aspect of using Bluetooth. It's noisy for phone calls and audio quality is less than it could be not to mention the inability to load all of the song details and art. Also being an Apple person I couldn't care less about options tailored to Google..

Old 09-20-2021, 12:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Picked up 2022 XC60 T8 Inscription with auto-kick tailgate. Absolutely love it. Also experiencing incomplete or buggy software. Used "call" button to find out why all the bugs. Volvo supposed to release a new software update OTA this week (20-24 Sept 2021). Dealer said she hoped Apple Car Play and Sirius XM will be added by the end of the year. I am guessing Volvo pushed this out knowing all these bugs can be fixed later.

My issues:

- Volvo Cars App on iPhone 7 - able to log in once, but "on-call" service had me reset software (hold down home button) and car s/w (hold down windshield defrost button until "LTE connection signal goes away) and now cannot open app - still says to pair phone, but already is. And cannot clear "next step screen" had to force app to close. Only feature working was "lock" and "unlock". On-Call said there should be 5 icons on bottom, mine has 3.
- Was able to get "climate control" working from app. But, cannot get past page which says "Start pairing". On other screens my iPhone 7 says paired and connected.
- Volvo Car App on iPhone 11 - Charge status gets stuck at various %-age levels and never reports 100%. Open car door and charge is at 100%
- Not much of a deal available. Got 5% below MSRP in Southern NJ. Some dealers are selling above MSRP, so feel I got a deal.
- Window Sticker does not describe details of car - I really wanted rear heated seats as part of climate package, but car came with bolster seats instead. Sticker mentions heated rear not on bolster seats, but sticker does not say what you actually have. Bought car sight unseen since it had everything else I wanted. Same thing with ventilated seats. Had to figure out all leather seats are ventilated.

Great things:
- Beautiful looking, solidly built, everything feels solid and premium - down to crystal gear selector
- Very quiet electric and gas engine. Can only tell gas engine on without looking at instrument cluster is moderate acceleration.
- very comfy seats
- driver assist features galore, BMW only has steering wheel shake instead of active assist. Pretty cool - car will steer in turns by itself, although it tells you to keep hands on wheel.
- Large rear seat legroom, trade-off is smaller luggage area (than BMW and others). Rear seat down - luggage area now similar to similar in class
- 46empg on 154 mile trip!
- swipe to open moon/sun roof and interior lighting
- headlamp steering has larger swing and brighter path than BMW3 series.

I know these techy and safety are not new to XC60 T8, but new to me based on my previous 2016 BMW 3 series and current 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia. OF course, paid about $15K more for the Volvo (before PHEV tax credit.

Old 09-23-2021, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by joetallyho
Picked up 2022 XC60 T8 Inscription with auto-kick tailgate. Absolutely love it. Also experiencing incomplete or buggy software. Used "call" button to find out why all the bugs. Volvo supposed to release a new software update OTA this week (20-24 Sept 2021). Dealer said she hoped Apple Car Play and Sirius XM will be added by the end of the year. I am guessing Volvo pushed this out knowing all these bugs can be fixed later.

My issues:

- Volvo Cars App on iPhone 7 - able to log in once, but "on-call" service had me reset software (hold down home button) and car s/w (hold down windshield defrost button until "LTE connection signal goes away) and now cannot open app - still says to pair phone, but already is. And cannot clear "next step screen" had to force app to close. Only feature working was "lock" and "unlock". On-Call said there should be 5 icons on bottom, mine has 3.
- Was able to get "climate control" working from app. But, cannot get past page which says "Start pairing". On other screens my iPhone 7 says paired and connected.
- Volvo Car App on iPhone 11 - Charge status gets stuck at various %-age levels and never reports 100%. Open car door and charge is at 100%
- Not much of a deal available. Got 5% below MSRP in Southern NJ. Some dealers are selling above MSRP, so feel I got a deal.
- Window Sticker does not describe details of car - I really wanted rear heated seats as part of climate package, but car came with bolster seats instead. Sticker mentions heated rear not on bolster seats, but sticker does not say what you actually have. Bought car sight unseen since it had everything else I wanted. Same thing with ventilated seats. Had to figure out all leather seats are ventilated.

Great things:
- Beautiful looking, solidly built, everything feels solid and premium - down to crystal gear selector
- Very quiet electric and gas engine. Can only tell gas engine on without looking at instrument cluster is moderate acceleration.
- very comfy seats
- driver assist features galore, BMW only has steering wheel shake instead of active assist. Pretty cool - car will steer in turns by itself, although it tells you to keep hands on wheel.
- Large rear seat legroom, trade-off is smaller luggage area (than BMW and others). Rear seat down - luggage area now similar to similar in class
- 46empg on 154 mile trip!
- swipe to open moon/sun roof and interior lighting
- headlamp steering has larger swing and brighter path than BMW3 series.

I know these techy and safety are not new to XC60 T8, but new to me based on my previous 2016 BMW 3 series and current 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia. OF course, paid about $15K more for the Volvo (before PHEV tax credit.
Joe, congrats on your new machine. Mine is a 2021 so much of the 'new model' malady's many seem to have thankfully not been present in mine. I believe you do get more miles per charge than I do however most of my miles are still electric as I'm retired and stay pretty much in the local area. For that reason my average since day one is an enviable 73.3 mpg LOL. I'm about 70% battery use over gas. I'm sure that will go down when I make my 1st out of town trip which should be in the coming month.
It's a great ride, hope you enjoy it as much as I am.

Last edited by Cruiter; 09-23-2021 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-23-2021, 05:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Joe, congrats on your new machine. Mine is a 2021 so much of the 'new model' malady's many seem to have thankfully not been present in mine. I believe you do get more miles per charge than I do however most of my miles are still electric as I'm retired and stay pretty much in the local area. For that reason my average since day one is an enviable 73.3 mpg LOL. I'm about 70% battery use over gas. I'm sure that will go down when I make my 1st out of town trip which should be in the coming month.
It's a great ride, hope you enjoy it as much as I am.
This version of the 2022 is only cosmetically different than your 2021. But, huge change from SENSUS to Android. As others have said, Volvo seems to have pushed this Android ahead before it was ready. Probably to get more cars available for the PHEV Fed TaxCredit - a huge selling point for me for the T8. I am enjoying so much that during a roundtrip to pickup our dog in heavy rush hour traffic I stayed in right lane, let the Auto brake do its thing - just to stay in the car longer!

Old 09-24-2021, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by joetallyho
just to stay in the car longer!
Yea, Definitely know what you mean :-)

Old 09-27-2021, 11:33 AM
Default XC60 T8 MPG after 140 miles round trip

Well the weather was beautiful yesterday so we took a trip from Roswell to Athens GA w/approx 140 miles round trip. I knew my average mileage would drop some, it had to but I still can't be anything but impressed over the way the car's computer managed the gas and battery over the trip. The secret was following the instruction manual in setting a destination into the Nav (Sensus) system. When doing that it tells the cars computers not only distance, but expected speeds over the roads, elevations and grades, and temps along the route. I did it coming and going. On the 1st leg, I let the computers manage the trip the whole way and I could see in the display that when I got there (approx. 70 miles) I was still showing 73.3 average mileage and arrived w/right at 50% of charge left. Coming back, I just said "take me home best route" and when I got to the highway I set the computer to 'charge' the battery. I could feel something different start working under the hood then and over the period of about 20 miles my average mpg

dropped down to 69 mpg. At that point I turned off the 'charge' in the system and went back to just 'hybrid' and let the computers manage everything. When I got home it still showed an average of 69 mpg overall. IMHO, it works really great entering a destination into the NAV, driving reasonably, and enjoying the drive. From where I live to pure highway driving was roughly 10-12 miles and the same returning. Where I went was only two miles off the highway. Part of the route was a state hwy going to Athens and had several lights (I think they knew I was coming and set them all on red) so several full stops along that part of the route. 1st image was awhile back when MPG was higher, and 2nd image was from end of yesterday's drive. I thought it was a good indicator of what CAN be achieved if you want to just relax and enjoy the drive on cruise control with the 'pilot control' on.

Old 09-30-2021, 11:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bear with me, I’m new to the forum!

Picked up my ‘22 XC60 B5 loaded Momentum on Friday, 9/17.

My garage smelled like fuel all weekend.
After getting the run around from the dealer like we—my husband and I—were crazy, and a call to Volvo Corporate, we finally got it in and sure enough, there was a leak in the fuel line. That took two days to order and 1/2 day to install. No problem, these things can happen.

Three days later the engine light was on with a warning about the Tire Pressure System. Back to the dealer. “Software update issue.”

Today (three days after I was at the dealer) and halfway on the way home from a three hour drive, the sound cut out entirely. No radio, GPS sound, Apps, nothing, not even a blinker sound. At one point I pulled off and exited, turned off the ignition and restarted, but to no avail.

90 very quiet minutes later, I picked up my hound from the dog sitter—that took 10 minutes or so—and it was working again.

I can say it’s wonderfully quiet on the road!

I love this car. It drives beautifully! I’m in sales and I need these seats where I don’t get sore, and know I’m safe up and down the interstate. The leather upgrade is gorgeous (amber, so nice) and the climate package is great. I’ve played my Sirius XM app via Bluetooth while I wait for the software update, works fine. I was told the update would be next February, by the way.

But this quirky stuff is driving me crazy! I can’t be going to the dealer every four days.

I read another thread about resetting something in the Settings. I’ll try it. Any advice is welcome! Thanks all.

Old 10-01-2021, 11:14 AM

Wow, there seems to be some growing pains with the new 'Google' system. I'm sure Google wasn't in anyway involved with your fuel line issue but maybe the other??? If you do the 'reset' can you note after you start if it offers comments or instructions through the process? And I hear from a service writer it can take some time so I'd plan on being in the car with ignition on through the entire process. Let us know your experience please and best of luck. And all the systems it seems to update during the process???

Old 10-01-2021, 11:15 AM
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I am impressed you got a call from Volvo corporate. I have sent two emails, called the helpline twice, been assured I will get a callback -- nothing. Can I ask you PM with what number you used if it's not the one available over the web? Or anyone?

Keep your fingers crossed the next over-the-air update doesn't break your GPS. Be aware if it does, there are no stored maps in the vehicle, so you have *no* GPS in the car. Oh, and no CarPlay either...

Quick Reply: Just picked up 2022