Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

New starter wont disengage when starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New starter wont disengage when starting

Hi all, long time lurker....
Well now I have an issue I need help with, my 2010 XC60 3.2 was having issues starting, (not to mention the 6 inches of water in the car floor whenever it rains, that I assume is leaking in from the bad winsheid seal) at fisrt I thought it was just the batt again as the day I drove it off the used car lot, an error on the dash popped up saying "charging failure serivce urgent" that would go away after a little while and it didn't ever seem to be an issue, fast forward a few yrs and some times it would start up fine and other s not so, it was little I had to hit the start button just right after pressing on it repeatedly. Anyhoo it got to the point no tricks would get it to start again, so I replaced the starter thinking that the most likely part fail.
So now when I start the car, it starts but the starter does not disengage when engine is running.
I've checked the wiring is correct, made sure to have a fully charged batt in the car...
I'm at an impass, not sure what to look at next or even how to go about diag'ing the issue. I sure as hell dont want to take to a dealership and have them try to run down some flaky electric issue. I hope someone here can, please point me in the general direction of getting this running again.
Thank you

Old 01-10-2023, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

check to see if the install requires shims and whether the new starter is identical to the old. Sounds like the gear may be too close to the flywheel and is not able to release fully. If you went after-market, you may need to revert to OEM new or an OEM rebuild to get the exact fit