Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

OBD Scanner for Volvo

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD Scanner for Volvo

I'm looking for a OBD scanner that will work with a 2015 XC60. I've heard something about Volvo requires some kind of expensive computer that pretty much only the dealer has. Any truth to that rumor? If not, any recommendations on an OBD scanner? The nearest dealer is about a 2.5 hour drive away from here (Memphis TN) and I try to do any maintenance/repair that I can without having to resort taking something to a shop. I'm a retired mechanic who's about a decade out of date on modern electronics.

Thanks in Advance

Old 08-18-2018, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

The idea of OBD-II is to have a universal standard so the suggestion that Volvos require a special tool (ie VIDA DICE) is not quite true. The OBD data is divided into different code sets - P codes are your power train codes to diagnose engine or emissions issues and even a $39 Harbor Freight will read those. There are separate code sets for the chassis (ie SRS (airbag) codes, HVAC codes, ABS codes etc - just about anything that uses a computer in the modern car will record fault codes for its sensors and switches. These require a more expensive sophisticated code reader, some of which will read both the standard OBD codes as well as the additional proprietary codes. My guess is you can get a fully functional shop code reader (say like the ones SnapOn sells) in the $300 range or you can shop for the cable+PC app version which are probably the best value at $100 to $150. What the factory tool can do that code readers do not is all the proprietary software configurations and codes like pairing keys, installing software updates etc. One of the other features the more expensive readers have is the ability to read live data (ie while the engine is running you can check mixture etc). For your interests, I'd look into the PC/phon app + cable. For example, check out Bluedriver.com

Old 08-18-2018, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! I've been saying for a few years now, I need to get one. I had a check engine light scare (gas cap) the other day and has got me to looking for one so I don't have to go to a parts store to get it read.