Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC60 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc60-51/)
-   -   Radiator Anti-Tamper Device (RTD) (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc60-51/radiator-anti-tamper-device-rtd-97754/)

jzmm 09-11-2018 12:54 PM

Radiator Anti-Tamper Device (RTD)

I own a 2010 XC60 3.2 non tubo and I'm having issues with the RTD not communicating with the ECM . The DTC ECM - U028600 is being logged. Using my scanner I can clear but randomly it reappears. If anyone can provide some guidance in troubleshooting this issue I would certainly appreciate it.

James

tony1963 09-11-2018 02:51 PM

I have no idea what you are talking about. Radiator anti-tamper device?

jzmm 09-11-2018 04:42 PM

Sorry if I didn't give sufficient details. On my particular yr and model volvo and I assume others, they have a sensor on the radiator that detects if the radiator has been tampered and or replaced with a non Volvo radiator. It appears mine is bad and therefore not communication with the ECM. Scanning for DTC's I get the code ECM - U028600. I can clear the code but it reappears randomly.....maybe a few hours or sometimes days.
My question is has anyone dealt with this particular issue? If so what is required ie replace the sensor or is this a problem only the dealer can fix with a software update.

tony1963 09-11-2018 05:37 PM

I had to do some checking as I haven't had that issue on any cars yet. It seems that there is some type of sensor in the upper passenger side of the radiator. From the diagrams, it does appear that the sensor is a separate part.

Sorry that I can't be of more help.

jzmm 09-11-2018 05:48 PM

thanks for quick response. I will post with an update with details once I get a resolution....

mt6127 09-13-2018 05:15 PM

Did you check with a dealer to see if there's any recall or service bulletins on that code?

jzmm 09-13-2018 05:44 PM

The dealers didn't want to provide to much info over the phone....basically said to bring the car in so they can run a diagnostic scan ( of course at a cost). I am not employed at the moment so I am trying to fix this issue on my own. However, I was able to download a Tech Service Bulletin (TJ27910) while researching the web... for the most part it describes my problem but it doesn't address the intermittent MIL Charging system ...service urgent message or something along those lines. I called a few independents and one stated that a bad RTD can cause an intermittent charging problem. Long story short I bought a replacement Volvo RTD ( p/n 31321504 $52 including shipping) and should receive it in few days. I plan to install it and hopefully it will correct the DTC and the charging message/ problem. I am new to the forum and I am not familiar as to how to attach the Tech Serv Bulletin (.pdf) otherwise I would.

jzmm 09-13-2018 06:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tech Service bulletin TJ27910 attached

tony1963 09-14-2018 06:21 AM

I would have done the same thing on a car coming through our system. Let us know how it works out.

KellyfromVA 09-14-2018 05:05 PM

Of all the stupid things to put a "tamper" sensor on: "If the owner tries to replace the stock radiator with an aftermarket one, we'll catch them red-handed!"

ES6T 09-16-2018 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by KellyfromVA (Post 465511)
Of all the stupid things to put a "tamper" sensor on: "If the owner tries to replace the stock radiator with an aftermarket one, we'll catch them red-handed!"

It's because the radiator has a special coating on it for emissions. So installing one without the coating would be against the law, technically. Thank California for this.

KellyfromVA 09-16-2018 10:10 AM

What sort of emissions? Heat? Seems odd because that’s what radiators do.

ES6T 09-16-2018 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by KellyfromVA (Post 465564)
What sort of emissions? Heat? Seems odd because that’s what radiators do.

It is a coating that converts smog into oxygen basically. So not the emissions of the vehicle, but I'm pretty sure it is regulated by federal emissions laws.

tony1963 09-16-2018 11:03 AM

I have to admit that I know nothing about this. Are you saying that the coating is on the outside of the radiator and it ends up acting like a catalytic converter of sorts when heated up, pulling air through it and eliminating smog?

Doing a little research, I found this article.

http://europe.autonews.com/article/1...ating-radiator

It seems that Ford also looked into this technology and while it is effective, it doesn't involve enough air in volume to solve a pollution problem. I guess that it is a green move of sorts. That move is bound to add a lot of cost to the vehicle's service.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2010-2...1420683925339/

ES6T 09-16-2018 11:31 AM

Yep, basically. I'm no expert on it either. I'm pretty sure California is the reason behind it. Like the cars with steel gas tanks instead of plastic. Plastic could allow a very, very, very small amount of fuel vapor to escape through the plastic. So some cars have steel fuel tanks. I guess if enough cars have it, it can make a difference. But I'm no scientist.

tony1963 09-16-2018 12:06 PM

I didn't see in any of the articles that it was a "requirement" since the EPA is not monitoring or managing anything other than emissions. Catalyzing ozone into oxygen appears to be voluntary and someone decided to take advantage of the heat generated by the radiator to perform a service without any further drain or adjustment in performance.

I suppose that the same kind of coating has been applied to other parts that get hot, like the condenser, but not sure. From what I have been able to gather, the sensor itself is probably the failure, not the radiator.

jzmm 09-16-2018 12:24 PM

Thanks to all who contributed to this discussion.....now we all know the reasoning behind this technology. This lead me to research the topic to answer the questions how does sensor detect a fault condition. The following youtube explanation answered all my questions.

Update: I just received my replacement part.....will open the box once I complete this message

ES6T 09-16-2018 12:26 PM

If a car comes with the Premair radiator, replacing it with a non-Premair radiator would be tampering with the vehicles emission system which is a federal offense. Like removing a cat.

Volvo has used this coating for a while without an anti-tamper sensor. I don't know why they added it for a brief time. But yes, it is usually the sensor causing the fault.

tony1963 09-16-2018 01:31 PM

Well isn't that special. I have a 2008 E550 that same color as the video and didn't realize that this technology has been going around. I haven't had any radiator failures on cars lately other than a 2005 Volvo. It had no sensor on the radiator.

jzmm 09-16-2018 06:53 PM

I received the Volvo RTD part so I am ready to install this baby. I re-read the Tech Bulletin paying close attention to the installation procedure. First thoughts was really do I need to disconnect the power steering hose from the pump as per the instructions. I didn't want to open that can of worms so I basically winged on my own using the Tech bulletin as a guide.
I disconnected the battery connections, unscrewed the top cover of the breather box with the MAF sensor and tucked that unit to the side. I then removed the hard plastic tube from the breather box to the ETM. I disconnected the electrical connections to the RTD and the fan motors.
I proceeded to try to remove the fan shroud assembly. I needed more clearance so I disconnected the mounting support brackets ( 2 places) that supported the power steering hose. This gave some front to back clearance. After numerous attempts it became apparent to me that I wound need to remove a radiator hose to get the side clearance I would need. I really didn't want to drain the fluid in order to remove the fan shroud.
I decided just to prop back the fan shroud to provide just enough room to work on the old RTD, In the Tech bulletin they indicated to use a pipe wrench to remove the old part. Really a pipe wrench. After reviewing the clip locking direction on the replacement part it was my conclusion that the only way to remove the old part was to cut the clips. I used a square bladed xacto blade with handle and basically used a small hammer to tap cut through the clips. This worked well. Now it appeared the part was loose but the thermal probe was glued into the radiator housing orifice. So basically I twisted the RTD body off which left the thermal probe glued within the radiator. There is no way this RTD is re-useable as a few radiator suppliers told me if I were to just replace the radiator.
I improvised a short drill pin vise to drill out the thermal probe. I carefully drilled out the probe and cleaned the excess glue around the seating area. Now I am ready to install the New RTD. Oops I forgot, I need to buy the special heat resistant glue ( the video indicated $40.00) . The glue is almost as much at the part.
Hey does anyone know of a good low cost heat resistant adhesive? I will finish the installation once I get the adhesive. Volvo should really supply the mounting adhesive with the part. Better yet Volvo should drop the tamper sensor altogether but keep the Eco-Radiator. The failure of this part causes more problems than it's worth....In my case it causes a alternator charging error in addition to the annoying DTC. This is really an error in the design!!!!