Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Resetting tachometer and speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resetting tachometer and speedometer

Hi everyone,

Hopefully someone here may have some experience with this as I have not been able to find any help through google.

I have an 2011 Volvo XC60 and earlier this morning I was driving it to work at a decent speed when I hit an unexpected bump. It didn't see to be a very big jolt to the car, but I noticed that the electrical system in the car shutdown for a second or two all while the engine stayed on and I roughly maintained the speed I was cruising at. The system came back on by itself and everything seemed to be working. Everything except the speedometer and the tachometer which were reading higher spped and RPM then what I could tell the car was exerting. When I got to work I shut off the car and noticed that when the engine was off and the car was parked, the RPMs would sit at 30 and the kmp would rest at 20. Again this is with the engine off! Now when the engine is on the RPMs hop up to about 42. I believe the problem is that the gauges have been mis-calibrated when the system restarted as the car does not seem to running with a higher RPMs. It now seems that the gauge considers 30rpm what normally would be zero rpm.

I saw on this thread for another make and model car that this may be because of a spike in electricity or a battery being replaced. I think that maybe this is the case here but I am not sure.

Any thoughts on how I might be able to reset tachometer or maybe what else could be causing this issue?

Thank you!

P.S. I've attatched images of the gauges with the engine both on and off. The lower RPM pic is with the engine off and the higher is with the engine idling.

Attached Thumbnails Resetting tachometer and speedometer-img_20150622_054546985.jpg   Resetting tachometer and speedometer-img_20150622_054534419.jpg  
Old 03-23-2022, 01:58 PM
Default Terp

Originally Posted by terp
Hi everyone,

Hopefully someone here may have some experience with this as I have not been able to find any help through google.

I have an 2011 Volvo XC60 and earlier this morning I was driving it to work at a decent speed when I hit an unexpected bump. It didn't see to be a very big jolt to the car, but I noticed that the electrical system in the car shutdown for a second or two all while the engine stayed on and I roughly maintained the speed I was cruising at. The system came back on by itself and everything seemed to be working. Everything except the speedometer and the tachometer which were reading higher spped and RPM then what I could tell the car was exerting. When I got to work I shut off the car and noticed that when the engine was off and the car was parked, the RPMs would sit at 30 and the kmp would rest at 20. Again this is with the engine off! Now when the engine is on the RPMs hop up to about 42. I believe the problem is that the gauges have been mis-calibrated when the system restarted as the car does not seem to running with a higher RPMs. It now seems that the gauge considers 30rpm what normally would be zero rpm.

I saw on this thread for another make and model car that this may be because of a spike in electricity or a battery being replaced. I think that maybe this is the case here but I am not sure.

Any thoughts on how I might be able to reset tachometer or maybe what else could be causing this issue?

Thank you!

P.S. I've attatched images of the gauges with the engine both on and off. The lower RPM pic is with the engine off and the higher is with the engine idling.

I have the exact same problem. I see there's no reply to your question.

Did you end up sorting the problem?
If so, how did you do it please?

Old 03-23-2022, 02:23 PM
Received 599 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Grizzleydog
I have the exact same problem.
You may have a bad DIM (the instrument cluster) . Speedo and tach problems are a common failure. Symptoms courtesy of xemodex.com

https://xemodex.com/us/product/instr...-for-volvo-p3/

Old 03-23-2022, 02:36 PM

Thanks for that. My reason is a tad different though.
My positive terminal fuse blew when I was on the motorway. Instant cut of power 100%. That's why the needles still read wrong because they were sitting at where I was cruising when it dies. Now I've replaced fuse..the needles are out. Do you know how to reset needles to normal?

Old 03-23-2022, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Grizzleydog
. Do you know how to reset needles to normal?
Sorry, don't believe that's possible, your needles are not going to get stuck because you blew a fuse. There's an electronic problem with the instrument cluster.

Old 03-23-2022, 02:58 PM
Default Disconnect the battery

If I recall correctly, I had to disconnect the battery for about 15 minutes and then reconnect it. Doing so reset the meter to 0. Good luck!

Old 03-23-2022, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by terp
If I recall correctly, I had to disconnect the battery for about 15 minutes and then reconnect it. Doing so reset the meter to 0. Good luck!
Thank you, but I have tried this and no result sadly.

Old 03-23-2022, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by hoonk
Sorry, don't believe that's possible, your needles are not going to get stuck because you blew a fuse. There's an electronic problem with the instrument cluster.
Unfortunately it's the case.
Is there an instrument cluster fuse that might be blown? Or does one fuse run the whole cluster? Im hoping theres a specific needle fuse.. but then again theyre still working , just not going back to zero

Old 03-23-2022, 05:50 PM

I don't believe it is possible to "reset" the needles not that your situation is not possible. There is a fuse in the CEM for the DIM, have you checked that? I only have LHD wiring diagrams, I hope the location is the same. Wiring diagram also show a relay in the circuit, but its not listed separately - (it's inside the 4/56 dashed line box on the diagram) - that means it's internal and part of the CEM. (not replaceable by itself)

Last edited by hoonk; 03-23-2022 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-23-2022, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by hoonk
I don't believe it is possible to "reset" the needles not that your situation is not possible. There is a fuse in the CEM for the DIM, have you checked that? I only have LHD wiring diagrams, I hope the location is the same. Wiring diagram also show a relay in the circuit, but its not listed separately - (it's inside the 4/56 dashed line box on the diagram) - that means it's internal and part of the CEM. (not replaceable by itself)

thank you very much. Will check