Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Software update 2.1 released today

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 03:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Software update 2.1 released today

I received an email this morning that software update 2.1 had been released today. It doesn't appear to include Apple carplay.Updates in software version 2.1

(This OTA update excludes cars running on software version 1.8. These customers are welcome to visit their retailer to receive the latest software.)
  • Driver display visual update to improve consistency and clarity. The update includes changes to the following elements:
    • Calm and Navi mode dials
    • Fuel and battery level indication
    • App menu
    • Notifications
    • Slightly reduced map size for improved separation from other display elements
  • Scheduled charging bugfix. Driver display charging settings do not reset between drives.
  • Tire pressure monitoring system adjustments. The system may display a stored pressure-message after the update depending on the car’s configuration.
  • Brake system diagnostics bugfixes and adjustments.
  • Drivetrain optimisation adjustments.

The following users liked this post:
Vpa6672 (05-29-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 09:59 AM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Owned our 2022 XC60 since December of 2021. We are on software V1.81. Have never received any OTA updates, or emails on updates available.

How do we get these updates other than the dealership?

Old 05-30-2022, 10:24 AM
Default Bring the old dashboard back

I just updated to 2.1 and only have bad things to say about the new driver dashboard!
  • The map no longer flows in the middle of the gauges. It is confined and lacks breathing space
  • Icons are bolder which acts as a distraction, creating different attention points in different places defocusing the overall experience
  • Visuals like the battery level is bold and bright white, also the icon is now composed of different icons in situations where e.g. you have locked the battery
  • The dashboard is now delimited by something like a squared-corners rectangle that the gauges create
  • We used to have that blueish color being applied, even on the map, which is gone, making things not so interesting
  • Gauges thickness as well as outside numbers are using much more space than what is needed
How can we complain to Volvo? I bought a car that now start to change into something I don't like and makes me feel bad. I know these are small things but they make a difference.

What is your opinion?

The new ugly and "un-improved" dashboard

MR_DEEZZ (10-11-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 10:24 AM

Mine has always come in over the air. I would contact your dealership or reach out to Volvo through their website and see if they can help you. I would also make sure the, "Automatic Software Download," button in settings is checked. You can get there by going to Settings and then to Software Update. Good Luck!

Old 05-30-2022, 01:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Missing battery icon from tachometer

In the new design I lost the battery indicator.
with previously design you could see if car is working with battery (battery icon) or with gasoline (drop icon).

Now only drop icon is available on tachometer, no matter which driving mode is active.

But the drop is now moving around the tachometer with a logic that still I cannot understand.
It moves from the middle of the tachometer to the top. If I am not wrong is not moving to the bottom at any case.

Netivski (05-31-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked up my new 2022 XC60 Inscription B-5 on Friday 5/27. Seeing this, I'm hoping the software was updated before I picked it up. I see from some of the other threads that CarPlay has been promised as "coming soon" for a very long time. I had CarPlay on my 2019 XC60 and I have an iPhone, so the Google/Android world is new to me. I have a couple questions about software and functionality. Should I be able to download any app from the Play Store? I am currently interested in Audible and Waze. Play Store via my computer has both, but neither will come up in a search in my car.

In trying to solve that problem, I read in a few places that your car has to be in Comfort Control Mode. I am not seeing that my car has that capability. Is it only in some models? And if it is not in my car, how the heck do I download apps?

Part of the problem may be that I live in a dead zone for cell service, and I'm also not able to pick up my home wi-fi network, so I'm wondering if it has to be connected via wi-fi in order to do these things?

Old 05-31-2022, 02:34 PM

I see the same thing when in "hybrid" driving mode...not clear what drop icon moves with tachometer ?

Old 05-31-2022, 02:58 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Very few apps available on 2022 model

In the United States we are limited to the few apps showing on the car now; I don't know if this is true for other countries. You cannot download all the apps that are available on your computer's Play Store. Waze and Pandora are not available in the car's Play Store at this time. No one knows if or when they will ever be available.

Old 05-31-2022, 11:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Australia Market

Mine one xc60 recharge(T8 extended range)
was showing to update to 2.1 3 days ago.
but now is not showing anymore.
looks like Volvo suspended the update at least for my car.
Even if I search on for updates still showing that 2.0 is the latest one.

maybe they suspended here due to some complains.

Old 06-02-2022, 09:32 PM
Default I do not like it. Why did they change it?

Originally Posted by Netivski

What is your opinion?

The new ugly and "un-improved" dashboard
I brought the car for service and got it back with this installed - I do not get how this is an improvement. From all the things I am struggling with this new google integration- the blending of the map and the gauges I actually thought they got right and now it is gone. They also removed the little animation when toggling between navigation view that used to shift the gauges left and right and make them smaller. It looks very boxy and bright now. The new gas gauge screams “look at me”. Why not make this user selectable like it used to be before google?

Last edited by onfus; 06-02-2022 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Shortened quote for easier reading
Old 06-03-2022, 01:58 AM

You just said it perfect : selectable

One of the main privileges of digital displays is that you allow to the user to choose which one he prefers. In my XC60 MY2017 I had the option to choose among 3 different designs.

On this one, well I still can select, between this... and nothing.
Even before the latest update the graphics were different if you chose "Power" mode.
Now pretty much all the same.

Really, why they don't let us choose?
Why they canceled the option of selecting your favorite?

This is really stupid mentality Google!!!

Old 06-08-2022, 08:22 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I completely hate the new driver console too. I need a way to revert back to previous version

Old 06-08-2022, 09:04 AM
Default Is the dimmer working for you after 2.1?

I noticed last night that I no longer have the ability to adjust the brightness of the dashboard with the dimmer switch. I feel that the screen is particularly bright after the update - are you experiencing the same or is it just me? Thanks!

Old 06-08-2022, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by onfus
I noticed last night that I no longer have the ability to adjust the brightness of the dashboard with the dimmer switch. I feel that the screen is particularly bright after the update - are you experiencing the same or is it just me? Thanks!
I will check that and share my experience.
What I have noticed is that there is delay from darker (when you enter into a tunnel), back to brighter. I have caught myself trying to see the display which is too dark, after exiting a tunnel, and only after a couple of seconds (or more) it goes back to brighter light. I cannot recall having the same experience all the previous months before the update with the old graphics.

Old 06-08-2022, 04:05 PM
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Same here. Didn't think it was possible to be more annoyed with this car and Volvo than I was from all the untrue things they've said about ApplePlay (coming soon... since Sept). But this new dash is awful. And too bright. Less intuitive. UGH.

Old 06-09-2022, 10:39 AM
Default 2.1 update

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
Owned our 2022 XC60 since December of 2021. We are on software V1.81. Have never received any OTA updates, or emails on updates available.

How do we get these updates other than the dealership?
Your may need the dealer to do the update this time but when you get up to a certain version, the auto update should work. I’m on 2.0 and I was able to do the last 2 updates in my driveway. XC60 2022 B5 (Northeast U.S.). Oddly 2.1 has not popped up on my screen as available yet.

Old 06-11-2022, 03:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question OTA update or wait for dealer to install the update?

Hey all, just want an opinion on if I should go ahead and perform the 2.1 update OTA or just wait till my next service interval and have the dealer do it? I have ready many unfortunate posts about what 2.1 provides in terms of the new instrument cluster (loss of certain icons such as battery) and I've also read some posts where folks have attempted the OTA install and something going wrong which renders the vehicle undriveable and needing to be towed. I just purchased my 2022 XC60 T-8 R-design Recharge back in March so won't need to take it in for service for another couple of months at least. Just hoping for some suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-11-2022, 03:47 PM
Default I’ll say wait.

Originally Posted by web4fun
Hey all, just want an opinion on if I should go ahead and perform the 2.1 update OTA or just wait till my next service interval and have the dealer do it? I have ready many unfortunate posts about what 2.1 provides in terms of the new instrument cluster (loss of certain icons such as battery) and I've also read some posts where folks have attempted the OTA install and something going wrong which renders the vehicle undriveable and needing to be towed. I just purchased my 2022 XC60 T-8 R-design Recharge back in March so won't need to take it in for service for another couple of months at least. Just hoping for some suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
If you are not having any issues now, the upgrade doesn’t seem to add any obvious functionality - so you might as well wait and have the dealer do it.

In my case, though I had the opposite problem, had the car towed in and the upgrade, supposedly, was the fix.

Old 06-11-2022, 04:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the advice! Makes perfect sense.

Old 06-18-2022, 12:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My 3 month old T-8 R-Design extended range lost all it's safety systems and all control from the touchscreen after a supposedly successful OTA upgrade. I barely made it to the dealership with it. It really infuriates me that it's not the mechanicals. The car is great, comfortable, quick, quiet (mostly, some engine noise), fun to drive and a real sleeper, plus, I haven't had as many compliments on a car since my Audi S4, and it's a SUV!!! The software though makes me want to trade it tomorrow. The safety systems are a work in progress. The cruise is nice, but I've gotten half a dozen "imminent collision" warnings on clear roads with absolutely no traffic. Blind spot warning is intermittent at best. And I am forced to turn off the auto-brake every time I enter my garage. The dash is uninspired (read boring) and information and display options are abysmal for a vehicle of this level, the TPMS won't even tell you the actual tire pressures, kinda important when the dealership can't fix the nail in your tire and doesn't have a replacement, so make sure you have a good tire pressure gage. This is my first experience with Volvo and I'm torn, love the car, abhor the software and support. One of the only intelligent persons at the dealership told me that "pressing and holding the defrost button should reset the head unit", not much detail, has anyone else heard of this specifically? After all that I would say be careful with the OTA's. Hopefully Volvo will hire some new software programmers and at least put out something decently stable.

Quick Reply: Software update 2.1 released today