Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

T5 vs T6

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T5 vs T6

I am considering purchasing a 2018 XC60 Inscription. This will be my first Volvo and its a splurge for me, but I am doing a bit of traveling and want to feel safe and comfortable. I tend to keep my cars for a long time, I'm coming from a 2007 V6 Toyota RAV4 limited. I would like to ask those of you that have experience, the practical differences between a T5 and a T6. I tend to lean towards the T6, but its a bit of extra money that I wouldn't mind saving. I would find any comments that you might have helpful. Thank you. Pat

Old 01-27-2018, 11:00 AM

We have the T5 FWD. Can't compare to the T6 but I have not wanted for more power. Had a few regrets about not getting AWD when the first snow flew, but have installed a set of 4 snow tires and the car behaves as if it is AWD. I wouldn't have believed it but it was like night and day driving in the snow. So I am very happy with the T5 FWD and figured the tires were less then the cost of the T6 AWD, and I believe my MPG is better too.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:41 PM

For cruising the highways you probably won't notice much of a difference with the T6 over the T5. The T6 will get you up the on-ramps a bit quicker. Comfort and safety wise the two will be the same depending on the trim and addon features. AWD is a must, in my opinion, PilotAssist is a must for trying to cruise in traffic.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:56 PM

I wanted the T5. However, here in Canada, most of the options that were of interest to me on the T5 were almost as expensive as getting the T6. Here the T6 includes those options.
So, did I want a T5 and add options or get a T6 which includes those options for basically the same price.
So, I chose the 2018 XC60 T6. One thing you should know is that you MUST use premium Gas with the T6. However, with the T5 premium Gas is only recommended. The reason is because the T6 has a turbo and supercharger and the inboard computer will adjust the timing but can’t align the supercharger and will then subject the motor to damage. At leased that’s what was explained to me by the Volvo Head Office.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:03 AM
Default Premium Gas

Volvo is now recommending the use of Premium gas on the T5 model also. From what I understand, they have been having some kind of issue with the use of Regular gas on the T5. There is a current campaign on the T5 to replace the spark plugs to address this issue along with instructions to use Premium fuel.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:28 PM

I decided to get a T8 rather than the T5 or T6. In the USA there are still federal and state tax rebates. I got the T8 for just about the same price (after rebates) as the T5. It's a great way to tip toe into the electric market, save time and money at the gas pump and have amazing power when you want it. (over 400 horsepower when you use both gas and electric together). The range when using all electric is low (around 18 miles) but usually enough to get around town. The Inscription model is worth the $. Truly beautiful.