Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Thinking of making my first Volvo purchase (2018 XC60)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of making my first Volvo purchase (2018 XC60)

I'm impressed with the features and look of the new 2018 XC60 and am considering a purchase. It would be my first Volvo and I have no experience with the brand.

Any advice? Reasons to purchase Volvo? Reasons not to?

Thanks.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:54 PM

Just finished a somewhat disheartening online chat with a VOLVO USA representative on the subject of Scheduling Charging. For reference, here in California we buy our electricity from Pacific Gas and Electric. In order to encourage EVs they have a tiered billing schedule which is time-of-day based, not total-usage based.

To get you to schedule your usage when demand for power is at it's lowest, they drop their rates to approx 1/3 to 1/4 the price of peak usage hours; during 11:00 PM to 7:00 AM on Mon thru Fri, and 7:00 PM to 3:00 PM on Sat, Sun, and Holidays. Our current vehicle is a 2015 Ford Fusion Energi Plugin Hybrid which allows you to input these times with the dash's touchscreen or the Ford iPhone app.

We have just put a downpayment on the new 2018 XC60 T8 AWD Plugin Hybrid and I decided to read through ALL of the VOLVO manuals related to this vehicle, and On Call, and Sensus. Close to 1,000 pages! I could NOT find any reference to scheduling charging.

That is when I decided to try contacting VOLVO USA directly with an online chat. The upshot of the very lengthy chat was NO, that capability does not exist in the XC60, which, BTW, costs almost twice as much as a Ford Fusion Energi. It was suggested that I install an AeroVironment charger, which costs another $600 to $800 and then possibly another $200 or so to have an electrician run a 240V line if it is also needed. I have an email in to AeroVironment to see if they really can do the equivalent to Ford's software.

Very Disallusioned,
Bob

Old 11-20-2017, 11:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We bought the 2018 XC60, coming from a 2007 XC90 that we bought from my father several years ago. The 07 hasn't really had any reliability issues. Our main reasons for upgrading were primarily safety related. My wife (who will be the primary driver) has a fondness for talking on the phone while driving. We felt that the 2018s were easier to use hands-free and had safety features that the 2017s lacked. This is the first new car I have bought since 1995, having purchased used in other cases. We plan to keep this one a long time so we are counting on it being as reliable as the 2007 (which we still have) has been.

We briefly considered the Audi, and driving a Mazda 3 myself, I steered her toward the Mazda CX-5. While she liked them both, her heart went with the Volvo. In fairness, she did a LOT of research over the past months so she was pretty confident with her decision.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:54 AM

I have a 2015 XC60 that has generally been a good car. I get great gas mileage, I find the seats very comfortable, it's quiet, and I generally enjoy driving it. However, I've had lots of minor problems and at 3.5 years and 55,000 miles I just had to replace both cam shafts and the thermostat, about $3k. Honestly I wish I would have just gone with a MDX or Highlander like I originally wanted to. I let the great gas mileage of the T5 (I average about 30mpg) dissuade me since gas was at an all time high around when I bought. I'm debating now whether I want to trade it in before some other sort of major repair is needed in the event I got a lemon.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:43 PM
Default Really?

Originally Posted by chilla
I have a 2015 XC60 that has generally been a good car. I get great gas mileage, I find the seats very comfortable, it's quiet, and I generally enjoy driving it. However, I've had lots of minor problems and at 3.5 years and 55,000 miles I just had to replace both cam shafts and the thermostat, about $3k. Honestly I wish I would have just gone with a MDX or Highlander like I originally wanted to. I let the great gas mileage of the T5 (I average about 30mpg) dissuade me since gas was at an all time high around when I bought. I'm debating now whether I want to trade it in before some other sort of major repair is needed in the event I got a lemon.
Really, Guy? The manufacturers warranty is for 4 years or 50,000 miles. How’d you get a lemon because you had to make repairs after the warranty runs out?? You should bought an extended warranty. Pretty simple

Old 12-25-2017, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by tom.quinn@adherentlabs.com
I'm impressed with the features and look of the new 2018 XC60 and am considering a purchase. It would be my first Volvo and I have no experience with the brand.

Thanks.
I purchased my first Volvo in Feb 2012, a 2012 XC60. My wife was the primary driver until last year when I retired. We have been very happy with the vehicle to date. It has 60,000 miles on it and I've no issues at all.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:07 PM

I purchased my first Volvo, 2018 XC60 R, 2.5 weeks ago. After owning BMW's for the last 25+ years. Best decision I've made in years! IMO, great vehicle, you'll never second guess yourself.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:28 PM
Default two time owner

I bought my first XC60 in 2011, purely for peace of mind and safety after my husband was killed by a wrong way driver. Loved the car, no problems. Handed it down with 100K miles to my son three months ago and bought a 2017 XC60 R design. Don't love it quite as much. Don't need some of the sport features, but more importantly I have a safety issue with the shift paddles on the steering wheel . Two days ago while making a right turn, one of the paddles (which have a bit of a hook shape) became entangled in my winter coat. I was unable to turn the steering wheel and had no control of the car until I figured out what was going on and freed the paddle from my coat. Luckily I was going at a low speed and not making a left turn across traffic. Trying to deal with Volvo for a solution to a car I am no longer confident driving......

Old 12-31-2017, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by jrgarbo
I bought my first XC60 in 2011, purely for peace of mind and safety after my husband was killed by a wrong way driver. Loved the car, no problems. Handed it down with 100K miles to my son three months ago and bought a 2017 XC60 R design. Don't love it quite as much. Don't need some of the sport features, but more importantly I have a safety issue with the shift paddles on the steering wheel . Two days ago while making a right turn, one of the paddles (which have a bit of a hook shape) became entangled in my winter coat. I was unable to turn the steering wheel and had no control of the car until I figured out what was going on and freed the paddle from my coat. Luckily I was going at a low speed and not making a left turn across traffic. Trying to deal with Volvo for a solution to a car I am no longer confident driving......
You could simply drive with clothing that doesn't get in the way of the controls. Seems like a pretty good idea anyhow . . .

Old 01-01-2018, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremiah Pierucci
You could simply drive with clothing that doesn't get in the way of the controls. Seems like a pretty good idea anyhow . . .
Good point. Rather silly of me to wear a winter coat in 9 degree below zero weather. I really should plan my wardrobe around the paddle shifters.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:02 PM

We just bought our New 2018 Volvo XC60 Inscription AWD Two days ago with all the options except the Air suspension system. We are having trouble with the Home Link being very Weak and cannot open the garage door at 5 feet away. Once you are in the garage and parked, it works great. Open & Closes the garage door every time. Leave the garage and can't get the home link to work! We programmed another PB on the mirror ( the middle one) and it does the same thing. I extended the antenna from 6 inches to 20 inches and this did not help either. We had a Honda 2016 CRV AWD, 2014 Kia Sorento AWD and the home link worked on all of those about 100 feet away. The remote works fine at 100 feet away.
Anyone else having this problem? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank-you, Ted

Old 01-14-2018, 08:39 AM

Yes, I am having a similar problem. We should move this to a new thread.

Last edited by WatersideBob; 01-20-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by jrgarbo
Sounds like you overlooked how the paddles are going to affect your wardrobe choices.
If you didn't need some of the sport features, you should have bought an Inscription or Momentum instead.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:15 AM

Coming off my second Mercedes lease (E350 and ML350), I wanted to try something new. On my list was BMW X3 or Audi Q5 along with a few others, but not Volvo. Bad traffic detoured us past a Volvo dealer and decided to see what they offer. Was impressed with the looks and came back for a test drive a few days later. Loved it so much that i came back with my wife to do an extended drive. Liked it both and made a deal, but dealership could not find color combination we wanted and so we ordered one from the factory. Ordered it Feb.1, 2018 and estimated delivery is first week of April. If the car lives up to the promises, we should be happy.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:08 AM

Congrats on your purchase. I have just ordered our 7th Volvo & we have loved every one of them. However, I ordered 2 weeks before you (Jan 23) & tentative delivery is Jun 21 (5 months).
Extended production time is due to Volvo moving XC60 production from Sweden to China. So unless your car has already been built & is being located somewhere in the inventory system, I would be cautious about such an early delivery. I even asked about the possibility of my order being slipped in if an existing order gets cancelled or is for dealer stock & was told that the previous week (Jan 15) was the cutoff. I then asked about waiting for a 2019 & was told not until July/August.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:57 PM

For those of you that said their dealer did not have the right color/option combination, check Volvo's website and it can show you inventory of dealers in other cities and other states.

My local Volvo dealer was not willing to negotiate a lower price so I found the same car 2hrs away and bought it for less!

https://www.volvocars.com/us/shoppin...arch#inventory

Old 02-26-2018, 03:00 PM
Lux

Originally Posted by tom.quinn@adherentlabs.com

Thanks.
Thinking of the same. I have a lease ending on a vehicle this year and I want my next one to be even nicer.

I tend to lease vehicles. I see fairly poor reliability from the Volvo late models, but as long as I am very sure not to hit 50,001 miles (50k is the warranty limit), I'm not really bothered by that. The cars look amazing, reviews are spectacular across the board on all the new Volvos. They really are beautiful cars to look at now, the interior's are very clean, and I'm a sucker for the tech.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by njlime
Congrats on your purchase. I have just ordered our 7th Volvo & we have loved every one of them. However, I ordered 2 weeks before you (Jan 23) & tentative delivery is Jun 21 (5 months).
Extended production time is due to Volvo moving XC60 production from Sweden to China. So unless your car has already been built & is being located somewhere in the inventory system, I would be cautious about such an early delivery. I even asked about the possibility of my order being slipped in if an existing order gets cancelled or is for dealer stock & was told that the previous week (Jan 15) was the cutoff. I then asked about waiting for a 2019 & was told not until July/August.
We are currently driving the 2015 BMW i3 and looking to turn it in a the end of the lease on 10-1-18. We are hoping to order a fully loaded 2019 T6 Inscription Grey/Blonde in July/August for delivery before the end of the year. We would also like to do the overseas delivery in Sweden. It really comes down to when the 2019 would arrive.

#VolvoOverseasDelivery

Old 03-15-2018, 07:21 AM
Default Volvo Overseas Delivery

[QUOTE=macmovieman;457708]We are currently driving the 2015 BMW i3 and looking to turn it in a the end of the lease on 10-1-18. We are hoping to order a fully loaded 2019 T6 Inscription Grey/Blonde in July/August for delivery before the end of the year. We would also like to do the overseas delivery in Sweden. It really comes down to when the 2019 would arrive.

#VolvoOverseasDelivery

I am certainly not the official authority on this but Volvo is currently in the process of moving XC60 production from Sweden to China & will produce other models in Sweden. As such, my understanding is that the Overseas Delivery Program has been stopped, at least as far as the XC60 is concerned. Check with your dealer when you re ready to order.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:00 AM

Wow. That is disappointing and thank you for the update. I have not really engaged with the local Volvo sales department yet to let them know I plan on buying the XC60 since the purchase date is so far out.

Quick Reply: Thinking of making my first Volvo purchase (2018 XC60)