Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

USB Media Player Madness

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 10:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USB Media Player Madness

Hi all,

My wife and I have a 2018 XC60 R-design, and the USB media player works differently than ANY other media player in the world, as far as I can tell, and I'm hoping someone has a solution. Specifically, it seems to only group songs by artist and album, such that it will only loop through the songs on a single album by a single artist. This becomes a huge problem with a compilation album, where each artist is different. In this case, I get ONE song that it continues to loop through. It never moves on to another album or artist. It just stays on that ONE song in that ONE album for that ONE artist. To get to another song, I need to manually re-navigate to another album/artist combination, to then hear that ONE song from that ONE artist on that ONE album. I tried creating a playlist, but Sensus (at least in this particular year/model combination) doesn't recognize playlists, as far as I can tell. I'm CERTAIN someone else has been aggravated by this weirdness in an otherwise amazing vehicle, so I'm hoping someone has come up with a solution.

Thanks for your time,

Frank

Old 09-22-2019, 10:22 AM

OK, so I was too impatient. It DOES recognize playlists! You just have to create a playlist in the Music\Playlists folder, and Sensus recognizes it. I used Windows Media Player to create my playlist. Once it read the USB drive (and waiting a little bit), there was then a "Playlists" option to the right after "Artist Composer Album Genre". Whew!

FYI, here's what the body of my playlist (KellyMusic.wpl) looks like:

<?wpl version="1.0"?>
<smil>
<head>
<meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Windows Media Player -- 12.0.18362.1"/>
<meta name="ItemCount" content="0"/>
<meta name="IsFavorite"/>
<meta name="ContentPartnerListID"/>
<meta name="ContentPartnerNameType"/>
<meta name="ContentPartnerName"/>
<meta name="Subtitle"/>
<author/>
<title>KellyMusic</title>
</head>
<body>
<seq>
<media src="..\Adele\Adele - 21\01 Rolling in the Deep.mp3" tid="{35B84B90-421C-4453-95B9-87D55B446C6A}"/>
<media src="..\Adele\Adele - 21\02 Rumour Has It.mp3" tid="{76B69377-72E8-4FDC-9D2C-9DE0C52774CD}"/>
<media src="..\Adele\Adele - 21\03 Turning Tables.mp3" tid="{3AB355C0-0142-4424-A31B-395329B7D594}"/>
<media src="..\Adele\Adele - 21\04 Don&apos;t You Remember.mp3" tid="{EDF63BDA-8DC6-40D0-8D15-55BFC19F6735}"/>
<media src="..\Adele\Adele - 21\05 Set Fire to the Rain.mp3" tid="{C83A403B-D08D-4882-B97D-94ECE7AF53B8}"/>
<media src="..\Adele\Adele - 21\06 He Won&apos;t Go.mp3" tid="{123640E2-343C-48D8-BA20-0743CA8B05CC}"/>
</seq>
</body>
</smil>

Old 11-11-2019, 07:40 PM
Default Hope this helps....

USB Music - my solution works!

Hi, I know this has maybe been discussed before but here is my solution to the limitations with using USB sticks to store music and play it. I have the B&W system and love it now.

Here goes so bear with me... I have tried to make this as clear as possible.

I had a USB stick originally but ran into capacity limitations so I now use a Samsung 500gb SSD (solid state drive) with no problem. It is showing as being nearly 90% full, so I believe that I have broken any "file limitations" BUT I'm not sure of my total number of highest level "folders)".

I did have to put all my music into a structure (folders) that is somewhat unusual (never had to do this with other cars) but it works all OK.
The structure I use is:
Folder Name (artist name - album name) -> Sound files (flac format) each album must also have a "m3u" index file and if required an album image file (jpg format about 500 x 500 pixels works well) if included it will show in Sensus.

It's important to edit the the list of files for each artist by selecting them and "right clicking" (mouse) and selecting "Edit Id-Tag", this will then give you a screen to edit the group of files where you MUST fill in:
Artist (name)
Album (name)
Title (song name)
Track (number, I use 1-> whatever)
Album Artist (same as artist name), I do not use any other sections even though some may be filled in (if they are I leave them but make sure they don't "clash with any of my info" if so I just remove it.

It's very important that your files are named the same as those in each directory (artist/album folder), and that each name is the same as the is the one you use for your "Edit ID-tag" information.
I use for example:
Beatles, The - A Hard Day's Night as the Folder Name
Each track is named: 01 A Hard Day's Night.flac, 02 I Should Have Known Better.flac, 03 If I fell.flac etc. etc.
Each track has a number that corresponds to the 01, 02, 03 but only using 1, 2, 3, etc. etc.
Title: A Hard Day's Night, I Should Have Known Better, If I fell etc. etc.
Contributing Artist: Beatles, The
Album: A Hard Day's Night

I also use a free program to create my "m3u" files called: Playlist Builder this will create the files you need to have in the same folder as the music tracks. NOTE, that sometimes it creates a file with a "m3u8" format has the same structure as a "m3u" but I rename it to "m3u" to ensure that things are the same.

If there are multiple albums for any artist, I have them also under the structured the same way.
Using Sensus it will then show up when you go to the LIBRARY selection as an A-Z listing for each artist, then when you select any artist "album images" will be displayed. If there are "multi albums" for that artist then it will show each album for that artist as well for you to then select.
Example folder structure names:
Beatles, The - A Hard Day's Night,
Beatles, The - Help
Beatles, The - Love
etc.etc.

These will then show is Sensus as "Beatles, The" when you go to the "library" but when you select "Beatles, The" it will then show each "album and it's image" in alphabetical order for you to then select.

I hope this helps! It's worth the effort! I have the B&W system and it's great. If I get a chance, I'll try and put together a step by step guide with images but it could be a file to download give me some time to work on it.
Please NOTE, I do NOT use Gracenote at all as after research this also plays havoc if your music is NOT on their database, I just turn it off.

David
Cheers from "down under" Australia... s5156
2018 XC60 D4 Inscription, Pine Grey, Premium Pack (B&W, Black Napa, Air Susp), Full Window Tint

Old 12-09-2019, 04:50 AM

I have a 2017 XC60 with a on-board hard drive as standard. I originally set it on "shuffle" so that it would randomly select the music tracks i'd previously down loaded.
However, it has suddenly changed in that it selects an artist and plays only those songs one after another and when it get to the last one, it shuffle back to the beginning. I tried using the USB, but get the same result. Has anyone had a similar problem and how do I resolve this??

Old 12-09-2019, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfpb
I have a 2017 XC60 with a on-board hard drive as standard. I originally set it on "shuffle" so that it would randomly select the music tracks i'd previously down loaded.
However, it has suddenly changed in that it selects an artist and plays only those songs one after another and when it get to the last one, it shuffle back to the beginning. I tried using the USB, but get the same result. Has anyone had a similar problem and how do I resolve this??
Hi Wolfpb
I note that you have a 2017 XC60 and my posting/message was directly related to the 2018 model with the large touchscreen Sensus system. I am unable to help you with your model as I suspect that it was a complete software/hardware update.
Cheers from "down under": David

Old 09-14-2021, 07:00 PM

I purchased a used 2018 XC60 in June 2021 and was very frustrated with this problem. I purchased a used iPod Nano (gen 3, $20) and loaded the music on it, plugged it into one of the USB ports and it works great. I did not use an old iPhone because I thought it would interfere with our personal (current) phones. Just select the iPod icon and on the top of the screen, at the far right, select 'playlists' It works.

Old 04-23-2022, 01:38 PM

I am the worst when it comes to computers and technology overall. I also wanted to do something similar with an important file from work. It contained numerous crucial business details. I have tried moving it, doing something to it. I pressed all the buttons I saw until I did the stupidest thing ever. I accidentally deleted it. I was so panicked and stressed. I imagined right there and then how I would lose my job because of this dumb mistake. Luckily, I found an expert specializing in data recovery, and he helped me get the file back. I suggest you be extra careful and not repeat my mistake.

Last edited by NicholasBlake; 04-25-2022 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-09-2022, 05:58 PM
Default XC60 USB Playlist rules

I have a 2020 XC60 R-Design. I have learned that playlists are available if all of these conditions are met:
  • USB is formatted for FAT32
  • USB flash/thumb drive capacity does not exceed 16GB (I don't know if it's different for a hard drive, or not)
  • Playlists are placed in Playlists directory, and that directory lives in the root
  • Songs in playlists are relative to root without a slash. For example: Band-name\Album-name\song, where Band-name is a folder in the root. I think you could put the songs anywhere so long as they follow this convention starting at the root. Unsure if forward slash / also works or not.

I thought perhaps the FAT32 requirement would work for any FAT32 volume size, but with a 32GB drive formatted for FAT32, no playlists are found in the library.

If anyone has better information, please speak up.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by franktate
Hi all,
My wife and I have a 2018 XC60 R-design, and the USB media player works differently than ANY other media player in the world, as far as I can tell, and I'm hoping someone has a solution. Specifically, it seems to only group songs by artist and album, such that it will only loop through the songs on a single album by a single artist. This becomes a huge problem with a compilation album, where each artist is different. In this case, I get ONE song that it continues to loop through. It never moves on to another album or artist. It just stays on that ONE song in that ONE album for that ONE artist. To get to another song, I need to manually re-navigate to another album/artist combination, to then hear that ONE song from that ONE artist on that ONE album. I tried creating a playlist, but Sensus (at least in this particular year/model combination) doesn't recognize playlists, as far as I can tell. I'm CERTAIN someone else has been aggravated by this weirdness in an otherwise amazing vehicle, so I'm hoping someone has come up with a solution.

Thanks for your time,

Frank