Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Water in front passenger footwell - 9/'10 XC60

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 10:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Water in front passenger footwell - 9/'10 XC60

Hi, I'm looking for some advice please as to where the problem might be with our 2009/2010 Volvo XC60. Car runs great, no issues on serving or anything - we love the car - but, we have been getting water coming in and filling the front passenger footwell. The sunroof has stopped working (potentially due to a broken fibre optic cable, although BMC shows no faults).

We have removed the carpet and the rubber foam underneath is soaked. I can now see the water is coming in on the left by the door when it rains and the car is stationary (see picture).

Has anyone seen this before? Can you help? I have cleared the drainage channels from the sunroof but water is still coming in. Someone suggested we might need to take the whole dashboard out! As it is by loads of wires, it needs fixing of course!

Thanks in advance.

This is where the water comes up. The foam is soaked.

Old 03-04-2021, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

did you check the sunroof seals and the firewall/tray on the cowling? have you tried spraying water on the cowling, then windshield then roof to see when the drips appear? I'd also do some research on how the drain tubing works to see if they may have disconnected

Old 03-05-2021, 02:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windscreen seal broken

I had same problem and it took a long time to fathom where water was coming from. Finally ....the windscreen needed resealing! Tiny gap had developed around seal. Took it to volvo dealer and they resealed for a reasonable price. Job done!!

Last edited by pablos48; 03-05-2021 at 02:57 AM.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:41 PM

Your A/C may be the culprit. Most cars have the A/C evaporator under the passenger side of the dashboard. As air passes through the (very cold) evaporator coils water condenses on the coils and runs down to the bottom of the evaporator. The more humid the climate the more water. There is a drain tube that runs from the bottom of your evaporator box through your firewall. This is why you will see a small puddle of clean water under your car by the passenger door after you've run the A/C for a while and parked the car. Your drain tube may be plugged up. Find it, remove it from the bottom of the evaporator, and see if it is blocked. If it is, problem found...

Old 03-06-2021, 01:26 AM
Default Windscreen seal

Further to my previous post. Another clue was....the water in my footwear only appeared if I was facing downhill when it was raining ! Worth checking before anything else!!

Last edited by pablos48; 03-06-2021 at 03:27 AM.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:30 AM
Thumbs up

Hi, thanks for all the replies. I wanted to come back here to update in the hope it helps someone else out there.

After looking into everything with a local garage (AC, drainage ducts, sunroof etc) we could not find out how the water was coming in. I then took the car to a Volvo dealership who identified that it was the windscreen that had come unbonded, which is a fairly common problem for 2010 XC60s apparently.

Now for the amazing part, and this is another reason why I love Volvos. As this was a known fault, the dealership made a request to Volvo HQ for the cost and they agreed to cover 100% of the costs to repair and labour restore to normal. We are in the UK. This might have helped by the fact we have another Volvo, but still this is incredible especially since the car is not new. We needed to take out all carpets and dry vac these, check all electrics, reseal the windscreen and retest.

The following users liked this post:
pablos48 (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 01:08 PM

Just as I said !

Old 04-05-2021, 07:51 PM

I had the same issue with water in the passenger floor after heavy rain with my 2010 XC60 with 145K mileage.
Realized it was the top of the windshield which always leaked a little for the past few years when going through a car wash, but was getting worse with more water as time went on.
I live in Florida and contacted Volvo Consumer Relations center a volvo1@mailac.custhelp.com They required for me to take the car to an authorized Vovlo dealer and have the windshield inspected. This was at O'Steen Volvo in Jacksonville Florida. The dealership inspected the windshield and confirmed that the top along the roof had come unsealed. However, they did not appear to know about this as being a common problem. Or did not volunteer that they knew. I then sent a copy of the invoice back to Vovlo Consumer Relations. (The dealer did not charge anything for the inspection). Volvo Consumer Relations then authorized the dealer to have the windshield resealed at no cost to me. Had to go through the back and forth, but was well worth the effort. This occurred during February 2021. I have heard of people paying significant amounts of money to have this resolved even at Vovlo dealerships.
NOTE: It took a week for O'Steen Volvo to get back to me to schedule the reseal. The service manager said the regional manager had to concur before the dealership could proceed with the repair.
Hope this helps save people money with this problem. Below is a copy of an email from Volvo Customer Relations Center after I provided the inspection invoice from the dealership:

2010 XC60 Windshield Leaking Concern/ VIN/CASE #

Feb 10 at 4:05 PMPrintRaw message

Volvo Consumer Relations Center <volvo1@mailac.custhelp.com>
To: xxxxxxxxxxxx
Antaneya 02/10/2021 04:05 PM Hello Steven,

Thank you for your clarification and document.

We will be in touch with O'Steen Volvo of Jacksonville to approve the windshield reseal.

Please continue to work directly with O'Steen Volvo of Jacksonville, as they will be in touch with you.

We thank you for allowing us to assist you.

Yours Sincerely,

Antaneya
Volvo Consumer Relations Center
800-458-1552

Old 04-05-2021, 07:55 PM

This is a common problem with the xc60. Contact Volvo Consumer Relation Center at Volvo Consumer Relations Center <volvo1@mailac.custhelp.com>
Had my 2010 XC60 windshield just resealed in February 2021 at no cost to me!

Old 12-02-2021, 07:38 PM
Default Volvo XC 60 leaking into footwell

My 2013 XC60, 190k, normally lives in a covered garage. Besides, it doesn't rain much in our part of Australia. However, this week in the mountains of Victoria the car has been uncovered and exposed to heavy and prolonged rainfall. Result, water in the footwell, mainly the driver's side (right side here). At one point I sat in the parked car while it was raining and watched water cascading down the A pillar, down the carpet just in front of the driver's door, around the hood pull. I didn't have my phone in the car with me or I could have made a video, but only really thought of that after the event.
Over recent years, I have seen a drip of water on the inside of the windscreen, but rarely; as I say, it doesn't rain much here. But last Friday the water cascading down the A pillar was much more. Needed two towels the next morning to soak it up from the footwell and a hair drier for half an hour to reduce the surface moisture. The removable floor mat was twice its normal weight and took all day to dry out in the sun.
Where is this water coming in? I reckon it's more than could come through failed windscreen seals. Could it enter from below the windscreen, from under the plastic moulding surrounding the wiper pivots? Would welcome suggestions. Thanks

Old 12-27-2021, 03:17 PM
Default sunroof drain clogged?

Hoping to see other answers to this thread, but do you have a sunroof, and are the sunroof drains potentially clogged? Apparently (as I found out) it's an issue with Volvo.

Originally Posted by VolvoMike46
My 2013 XC60, 190k, normally lives in a covered garage. Besides, it doesn't rain much in our part of Australia. However, this week in the mountains of Victoria the car has been uncovered and exposed to heavy and prolonged rainfall. Result, water in the footwell, mainly the driver's side (right side here). At one point I sat in the parked car while it was raining and watched water cascading down the A pillar, down the carpet just in front of the driver's door, around the hood pull. I didn't have my phone in the car with me or I could have made a video, but only really thought of that after the event.
Over recent years, I have seen a drip of water on the inside of the windscreen, but rarely; as I say, it doesn't rain much here. But last Friday the water cascading down the A pillar was much more. Needed two towels the next morning to soak it up from the footwell and a hair drier for half an hour to reduce the surface moisture. The removable floor mat was twice its normal weight and took all day to dry out in the sun.
Where is this water coming in? I reckon it's more than could come through failed windscreen seals. Could it enter from below the windscreen, from under the plastic moulding surrounding the wiper pivots? Would welcome suggestions. Thanks

Old 12-28-2021, 02:14 PM
Default 2010 XC60 wet floor remedy

I had this problem. (2010 XC60 with sunroof) I tried everything suggested in this forum with no success. With the carpets out, all the "tubes" clear (sunroof, etc. there are multiple) while taking it through the car wash I still got traces of water on the floor. It must be coming in a seam around a heater fan or dried, shriveled chalking somewhere.

My final remedy was to drill holes (heart breaking task to deface a perfect floor) at the lowest point in all four foot wells, rust proofing the holes but most importantly, I put a small 2-3 inch drainage tube in each of the holes leading down outside the car to prevent outside water from coming in. Worked perfectly, once the floor was dry it never became wet again. (drove it for 2 weeks with not carpet to test it) You have to put goop (sealant) around the tubes/holes when installing and the spray the area with rust inhibitor.