Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Water sloshing behind driver's seat

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Water sloshing behind driver's seat

Have just seen this thread https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...r-floor-90267/, same problem, but no replies/ideas. So decided to refresh using another thread....

Does anyone know about an issue of water sloshing under the floor in an XC60 (2009)? I found one thread with the same, but no responses.

The noise is behind the driver's side seat, sounds to be inboard of the door opening, under the floor. Sloshes on braking. Sound is limited to just that area. I think the floor pan on this model is a double skin with a gap between. There seems absolutely no way to see what's going on, either from inside or outside.

In terms of common reasons found on forums for water sloshing:

- the car has no sunroof, so it's not the blocked sunroof drain problem

- the carpet is not wet (anywhere) (except occasionally as next...)

- I don't think it's coming from a windscreen bonding failure. We might well have that problem as the carpet locally just behind the accelerator pedal area has been a bit wet now and again, but I too the A-pillar trim off outside and drenched it and strangely although we initially saw some water coming in (down the lower A-pillar structure), it actually stopped after a while. This was back at the start of Summer so it might have been that the warmer weather affected it. When we had this very minor leak, we had the screen mist up on that side only when the car was unused, but the misting stopped too. It might just be re-starting now the cold weather is back, with some misting up, but no wet carpet, as yet. But the water sloshing has continued all summer and is definitely rain-related.

- I had a suggestion it could be the drain pipe from the AirCon coming adrift and leaking water between the two floor panels and then running back, but if you look under the car when the aircon is on, you can see the condensed water draining nicely.

In extended dry weather, or if we garage the car and not let it get wet at all, the sloshing stops, but will return with the onset of rain.

Ideally, I'd like to know that there's a known fault e.g. the roof rails leaking.

Can't go drilling experimental holes as there's electrical stuff everywhere!

Might have to take it to Volvo, but that could be expensive!

Last edited by Cliff_G; 11-11-2017 at 02:41 PM. Reason: url missed
Old 12-28-2017, 11:01 AM
Default Dick

Originally Posted by Cliff_G
Have just seen this thread https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...r-floor-90267/, same problem, but no replies/ideas. So decided to refresh using another thread....

Does anyone know about an issue of water sloshing under the floor in an XC60 (2009)? I found one thread with the same, but no responses.

The noise is behind the driver's side seat, sounds to be inboard of the door opening, under the floor. Sloshes on braking. Sound is limited to just that area. I think the floor pan on this model is a double skin with a gap between. There seems absolutely no way to see what's going on, either from inside or outside.
H
In terms of common reasons found on forums for water sloshing:

- the car has no sunroof, so it's not the blocked sunroof drain problem

- the carpet is not wet (anywhere) (except occasionally as next...)

- I don't think it's coming from a windscreen bonding failure. We might well have that problem as the carpet locally just behind the accelerator pedal area has been a bit wet now and again, but I too the A-pillar trim off outside and drenched it and strangely although we initially saw some water coming in (down the lower A-pillar structure), it actually stopped after a while. This was back at the start of Summer so it might have been that the warmer weather affected it. When we had this very minor leak, we had the screen mist up on that side only when the car was unused, but the misting stopped too. It might just be re-starting now the cold weather is back, with some misting up, but no wet carpet, as yet. But the water sloshing has continued all summer and is definitely rain-related.

- I had a suggestion it could be the drain pipe from the AirCon coming adrift and leaking water between the two floor panels and then running back, but if you look under the car when the aircon is on, you can see the condensed water draining nicely.

In extended dry weather, or if we garage the car and not let it get wet at all, the sloshing stops, but will return with the onset of rain.

Ideally, I'd like to know that there's a known fault e.g. the roof rails leaking.

Can't go drilling experimental holes as there's electrical stuff everywhere!

Might have to take it to Volvo, but that could be expensive!
Have you had any replies or have you managed to fix the problem? I have exactly the same issue on my 2011 XX 60. Thanks

Old 12-29-2017, 10:11 AM

i had this issue in my c30. when i purchased my car i let the garage fit aftermarket parking sensors to the rear. they removed the rear bumper and fed the wires at the top of the main gromet in to my car so everytime it rained or i hit a puddle the car filled up with water.

Old 03-04-2023, 06:25 PM
Default Water sloshing under drivers seat

Originally Posted by Dick Fontayne
Have you had any replies or have you managed to fix the problem? I have exactly the same issue on my 2011 XX 60. Thanks
I have sloshing water under my drivers seat spilling onto rear drivers foot well😫, it’s a 2013 Volvo XC60.

Old 01-05-2024, 07:20 AM
Default Video for drain hole location

It is in the passenger footwell near the center console. If you take the lower trim piece off the console, then pull the carpet back a bit toward the driver's side, you will see a flexible black tube that goes into the driveshaft tunnel. Pull that out and disconnect from the hoses.
https://www.google.com/search?q=volv...kwadEJ8kA,st:0

Last edited by dalejackson753; 01-05-2024 at 07:22 AM.