Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

XC 60 – How to close the sunroof / panoramic roof manually.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 06:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default XC 60 – How to close the sunroof / panoramic roof manually.

Good day all.

I am a fairly new owner of a XC60. Recently the sunroof opened fully, would not respond to the sunroof controls and I needed to close it manually as rain was forecast. After extensive googling I could not find a how to specific to the XC 60 so I have decided to write one in the hope that someone in the unfortunate position of having a stuck open sunroof will find it of benefit.Use the how to below at your own risk as it is written by a desk jockey!

The how to:-
Firstly, remove the panel that houses the sunroof switch and overhead lights from the roof lining. It is only held in by a few clips so it can be removed by hand.

I started by gently pulling down the section closest to the windscreen then worked my way around the edges.

Caution is advised. Do not try and move it laterally. Only vertically. The panel has a number of electronic pins/contacts that fit into the roof section and if you move the panel laterally, you may bend/break the pins, never a good idea. Once the panel has been removed you will see the motor for the glass section of the sunroof. Towards the rear of the exposed area you will see a circular hole in the plastic with an aluminum component in the middle.

Here is a close up of the component.

You need to insert a HEX bit into that hole to manually crank the sunroof.

I used a 4mm hexbit, but it is still a little loose in the fitting I suspect a 4.5mm will be better.

If my recollection is correct, crank anticlockwise to get it to close. Once closed you can carefully reattach the roof panel by pressing it vertically back into is clips (be careful of those pins), or leave it off and get the dealer to do it when you take it in for the repair!

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by ROOKIE-XC60; 03-12-2019 at 02:58 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ROOKIE-XC60:
Beauvo (01-18-2021), rafiki (10-10-2021)
Old 05-18-2019, 12:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Rookie-XC60

Thank you for the post. I have a 2010 xc60 diesel, the sunroof is a panoramic one which has stopped working.

I removed the control panel and there's some corrosion, but the lights work.

Did you manage to fix the sunroof controls? Is your one working again?

Old 05-21-2019, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by mr_t
Hey Rookie-XC60

Thank you for the post. I have a 2010 xc60 diesel, the sunroof is a panoramic one which has stopped working.

I removed the control panel and there's some corrosion, but the lights work.

Did you manage to fix the sunroof controls? Is your one working again?
Hi mr_t.

The lights worked on mine as well, its just the sunroof controls did not work. There was no corrosion on mine that I could see though.

Mine is working again, but I had to buy a new roof console from the dealers. I took it into them to fit it and reset all the faults on the BCM.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:41 AM

[QUOTE=ROOKIE-XC60;473802]Hi mrTh
Thank You! For posting this..saved us from a soggy mess.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:51 AM

[QUOTE=r.trahant@yahoo.com;477248]
Originally Posted by ROOKIE-XC60
Thank You! For posting this..saved us from a soggy mess.
Pleasure. Glad it helped someone.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:04 PM
Thumbs up Bump Thanks

Nice, just got home from a week of travel... XC60 was parked where I left it but the sunroof was wide open for no reason I could fathom. Looks like this is happening all over again. But at least I have VIDA now...
*Edit* Panel does smell like some of the magic smoke has gotten out... and I just recently started finding pooling in Front Passenger Footwell (only there, for now) "Curious-er and Curious-er"

Last edited by His400; 10-29-2019 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Added info!
Old 10-30-2019, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by His400
Nice, just got home from a week of travel... XC60 was parked where I left it but the sunroof was wide open for no reason I could fathom. Looks like this is happening all over again. But at least I have VIDA now...
*Edit* Panel does smell like some of the magic smoke has gotten out... and I just recently started finding pooling in Front Passenger Footwell (only there, for now) "Curious-er and Curious-er"
Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your errant sunroof. Just some info that might help. In my case, I found the passenger side sunroof drain was crushed when the A pillar trim was fitted at factory. That resulted in water overflowing the sunroof surround and into the roof console, shorting the controls, which opened the roof fully. Water also pooled in the foot well.

I would also highly recommend that you lift the passenger carpet if it is pretty wet as a fair amount of water pools under there and enters the rear AC ducting that runs under the carpet. In my case, while the carpet only felt damp, when lifting it, I found close to 500ml of water under it.

Old 05-06-2020, 12:09 PM

My XC60 sunroof opened all by itself and now will not close. I am about to try this, fingers crossed it works!! Thank you so much for the post, I was at a loss!!

Old 06-06-2020, 01:45 PM

OMG - thanks for the tip. My sunroof auto-opened and wouldn't close. All with a thunderstorm coming. Cranked it closed with minutes to spare.

Old 06-16-2020, 01:05 PM
Default XC60 sunroof horror

My 2013 XC60 sunroof was working fine last year. However, last week I saw water dripping from the roof control panel. So I prised it off and a few drops fell off the circuit boards and roof would not open, blown fuse changed only to pop again.. On previous occasions I noticed water on the passenger foot well and last winter with car parked uphill on my drive I had a lot of water in the rear tailgate section..First thought was rear hatch door seal. Now the front wet areas I suspected the screen was leaking. I then noticed the sunroof rubber seal was not sitting correct but I couldn't open the roof to check it. Local garage had a look after the mot and he removed the motor which was dripping wet, sized and plug connector welded to the motor body. He removed the motor and refitted the drive mechanism so as to manually open the roof. Cause I believe was front left drain blocked causing water to overflow and run into motor area...for now I can live with the sunroof closed but want to open the internal sun shade.. Is there's way of sliding it back?? Does the shade operate from a separate motor and where is it?? I can't find much info online.. maybe next step is to remove complete headliner to see how it works.

Old 10-13-2020, 03:36 AM

My 2013 XC60 has all of a sudden developed AI !, so CCTV confirms car locked up at 7:05am and 8 mins later, the sunroof is open !, no input from me in bed and no one hanging around the car trying to defeat its security, another day, unlocked car and sunroof opened as if by magic.

No 2 weeks ago, drivers footwell was sodden with no apparent cause and the console that houses the switchgear for the sunroof was saturated. so i suspect water is getting in around the sunroof.

Sunroof now inoperative, so have manually cranked it shut again. is it possible to crank the blackout ceiling screen too ?
opended car

Old 10-13-2020, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Volvoxc60diehard
My 2013 XC60 has all of a sudden developed AI !, so CCTV confirms car locked up at 7:05am and 8 mins later, the sunroof is open !, no input from me in bed and no one hanging around the car trying to defeat its security, another day, unlocked car and sunroof opened as if by magic.

No 2 weeks ago, drivers footwell was sodden with no apparent cause and the console that houses the switchgear for the sunroof was saturated. so i suspect water is getting in around the sunroof.

Sunroof now inoperative, so have manually cranked it shut again. is it possible to crank the blackout ceiling screen too ?
opended car
Common problem judging by all the posts including mine. I had same problem, flooded motor and it burned out. I manually opened my glass roof but screen stayed put. I found near side front drain hole blocked so I cleaned both front with a cycle cable and hot water. There are 2 for the rear which I accessed via rear side panels in the boot. I pulled them off their drain connection and blew thru. The water was dripping into passenger side on a stormy day prior to my fix so I removed the A panel and found the drain tube was also crimped....leak cured. I bought a motor from a Volvo breaker so the glass roof now works but the screen will not open. I managed to prize the roof liner enough to see that there is another motor to operate the screen. It's a bit like a roller blind. That's as far as have gone so far. Next job will be to remove the headliner completely to get in further. I saw a youtube vid on how to remove sunroof on an Audi....looks very similar

Old 10-13-2020, 04:45 AM

sorry to be a pain, but are you able to email me a pic of the drain holes that you refer to ? email addy swreynolds@hotmail.com.

Old 10-10-2021, 03:32 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello all,
Yesterday I had to pass this nightmare scenario finding my 2015 XC60 with sunroof fully open during autumn rain. Fortunately, I was able to find this thread, and to close sunroof. Sunroof motor looks dead, so now I need to find way to open it, in order to inspect drain pipes.
Is it possible to manualy open sunroof using the simmilar tehnics as for closing? I tried to turn it in opposite direction, but nothing happens
BR

Old 12-15-2022, 06:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rafiki
Hello all,
Yesterday I had to pass this nightmare scenario finding my 2015 XC60 with sunroof fully open during autumn rain. Fortunately, I was able to find this thread, and to close sunroof. Sunroof motor looks dead, so now I need to find way to open it, in order to inspect drain pipes.
Is it possible to manualy open sunroof using the simmilar tehnics as for closing? I tried to turn it in opposite direction, but nothing happens
BR

​​​​​Did you ever figure out how to open the panoramic sunroof manually? Volvo dealership is saying that they can't open it due to burnt out motors and therefore they cannot clear either drain and I am supposed to deal with leaks on the driver and passenger foot well along with coming through the passenger visor and sunroof control panel

Old 12-15-2022, 07:36 AM

Hi,

Yes, manually opening of sunroof is possibie - exactly the same as in the first post in this thread, just in opposite direction. Issue I had was that sunroof motor was dead (and stuck) so it was very hard to open/close sunroof. I removed motor assembly from car (it's held in place with 3 screws), then detached motor from the rest (detached metal cylinder with electrical motor inside from the black plastic box). Then I re-attached just black plastic box back too the car and I was able to manually open/close sunroof with very little effort.
You just have to be carefully when dismantling/mounting plastic box, not to move (push or pull) cables that move the sunroof. If you move one of them (as I did ), the sunroof may not close completely. One corner didn't lay flush to the car roof (it was around 1-2mm higher that it should be), and was producing whistling sound on higher speeds. At some time (months later) I removed plastic box from the car, pulled one cable a bit, and managed to get much better closing (still not ideal, but at least there is no whistling noise anymore).
BR

The following users liked this post:
twistab4pudd (12-16-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 07:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rafiki
Hi,

Yes, manually opening of sunroof is possibie - exactly the same as in the first post in this thread, just in opposite direction. Issue I had was that sunroof motor was dead (and stuck) so it was very hard to open/close sunroof. I removed motor assembly from car (it's held in place with 3 screws), then detached motor from the rest (detached metal cylinder with electrical motor inside from the black plastic box). Then I re-attached just black plastic box back too the car and I was able to manually open/close sunroof with very little effort.
You just have to be carefully when dismantling/mounting plastic box, not to move (push or pull) cables that move the sunroof. If you move one of them (as I did ), the sunroof may not close completely. One corner didn't lay flush to the car roof (it was around 1-2mm higher that it should be), and was producing whistling sound on higher speeds. At some time (months later) I removed plastic box from the car, pulled one cable a bit, and managed to get much better closing (still not ideal, but at least there is no whistling noise anymore).
BR
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. My situation sounds so similar to yours. I'm trying to go through insurance before I mess with anything and see what happens. I know there is a front motor and rear motor and I keep thinking (hoping) it's only going to be an issue with the front motor. In this case you only replaced the front motor, recalibrated and everything was fine and you didn't have to mess with the rear motor? You didn't have to change any fuses, or relays? Thanks again!!

The following users liked this post:
Mohsen (10-12-2023)
Old 12-19-2022, 02:06 AM

Hi,
You're right: I just replaced front motor (the one in overhead console), and did calibration after. No fuses or relays were impacted in my case.
BR

Old 10-12-2023, 11:37 PM
Default Does the volvo xc60 2010 has 2 motor for the sun roof and sun shade?

Hello

I got a volvo xc60 2010 and the sunroof is not working at all since I bought it and I have realised that from outside the sunroof has been sealed. It seemed the previous owner took the motor off. So I bought a used original sunroof motor and replaced it and didnt worked and I realised I got a short circuit and lost the lighting inside the car. I did replaced the fuse and the light came back.

So I did some research and called here and there and even went to a volvo mechanic and beside getting attitudes from them and wasting my time as if they are a benteley mechanic eventhough Volvo is also consideredluxury... they couldnt do much. Anyways I realised that with an allen key I could manually open the sunroof, but I realised that the sunshade below the sunroof is operated with a second motor and will not be open with the 1st motor with an allen key.
Therefore I am wondering if there is a way to simply open the sunroof's sunshade manually or if possible simply opening and closing the sunshade with power without having to open the sunroof????

Originally Posted by twistab4pudd
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. My situation sounds so similar to yours. I'm trying to go through insurance before I mess with anything and see what happens. I know there is a front motor and rear motor and I keep thinking (hoping) it's only going to be an issue with the front motor. In this case you only replaced the front motor, recalibrated and everything was fine and you didn't have to mess with the rear motor? You didn't have to change any fuses, or relays? Thanks again!!

Old 03-31-2024, 08:52 AM
Default Hex screw too hard to turn (Easter vacation ruined)

Same issue here with my 2014 xc60. It’s stuck open and randomly works, opening on its own in the middle of the night.

I have the tool to manually turn it, but it’s so tight it feels like it’s going to break. Is that normal?

Also, someone on here said there are two motors for the glass portion. One near windscreen (the one I’m working on) and one in the middle of the roof under the light. Is that right?

Quick Reply: XC 60 – How to close the sunroof / panoramic roof manually.