Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

XC60 2022 GPS stoped working

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2021, 07:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation XC60 2022 GPS stoped working

After my last over the air update (4 days ago), my GPS on Google Maps stoped working (searching for GPS message). Reading in the different forums, I did a system reboot (holding the Home button) and a cell reboot (holding the rear defroster button once the Valve word appeared on the screen until the LTE letters appeared for a 2nd time), but the GPS still isn't functioning. Anyone got a solution prior calling the dealer? Tks

Old 01-22-2022, 01:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hi, I had the same problem but i think the correct button to cell reset is the front windshield heater/defrost not the rear one. It worked for me.

The following 3 users liked this post by dlee39:
CoKroVolvo (02-01-2022), Cornfield (01-26-2022), rtwendel@me.com (02-02-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 07:43 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My wife said she had no navigation. I did the “Home & Front Defrost” reset and it worked.

Old 01-28-2022, 02:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Are these reset procedures documented anywhere?
What do you do exactly - hold the Windshield heater button for a while? it, together with the home button under the main screen?

Old 01-28-2022, 06:19 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Vee
What do you do exactly - hold the Windshield heater button for a while? it, together with the home button under the main screen?
I was wondering the same thing... searching the owner's manual didn't yield any hints.

Old 01-29-2022, 06:16 AM

I’m glad that forums like this exist. Hold the “Home” and “Front Defrost” buttons at the same time till the main screen reboots and says “Volvo”.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So holding both buttons at the same time didn't help.
Defrost alone, whether front or back, didn't work either.
Holding just the home button works, something clearly reboots, but apparently not the modem.
For me, three days ago the Internet access stopped working (wifi stopped working too); today the GPS stopped working and then the rear view camera, too. The camera icon is just no longer there (in the bottom left corner). And also I can't do a factory reset: nothing happens when I click the reset button in the final confirmation pop up.
Fingers crossed the car survives until my dealer appointment on Tuesday!

Old 02-01-2022, 11:17 PM
Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Vee
They are not documented anywhere. And, in case you haven't spent enough time with the manual yet, it sucks. Badly. And is inaccurate.

Hold the front defroster button for 30 seconds. My service department told me about 6 weeks ago that it was the "secret" reset button and wasn't normally told to customers. However, a few weeks ago Volvo issued a service update, suggesting that the dealers/service department tell customers to start using that reset for GPS/SIM/Connectivity issues instead of just the home button reset.

Old 02-04-2022, 02:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is exactly what’s happening with my 2022 XC60 in addition to the fact that Wi-Fi stopped working with a strong signal and even with my iPhone Hotspot enabled.

The following users liked this post:
rtwendel@me.com (02-08-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 05:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GPS, WI-FI, and my clock magically returned. I went through all procedures above in addition to a procedure suggested by Volvo Customer Care in Sweden. The only thing I did, which may not have any correlation, is delete all Offline Maps I had stored. Go figure and fingers crossed.

CoKroVolvo (02-08-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by GrayB
GPS, WI-FI, and my clock magically returned. I went through all procedures above in addition to a procedure suggested by Volvo Customer Care in Sweden. The only thing I did, which may not have any correlation, is delete all Offline Maps I had stored. Go figure and fingers crossed.
Don't get too comfortable. None of these solutions are working for me today. I'm on Day 2 of no signal and hoping to get to the dealer today to see what they can do.

Bottom line. This should not be happening. Resetting every week/day is not a solution to the underlying problem.

rmo54 (04-12-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 11:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same problem here with the GPS. Have tried all these supposed "fixes" but it worked once and showed me I was home but then conked out again. It shows I'm offline and my GPS location is always home. So annoying for a brand new car to have any kind of issues. Don't release the car until everything works properly. Also anxiously awaiting Apple car play. Now I hear that's not coming til april.

Old 02-16-2022, 08:27 AM

Our GPS went out again a few days ago. I did the Home button, front defrost,lock the doors and the other “resets” as suggested to no avail. I had an appointment to drop it off at the dealer this morning. Of course, this morning the GPS works,Google too. The dealer said “Bring it in anyway”.
I told the service writer that I knew it wasn’t his fault. He looked straight at me and said “Thank you”

CoKroVolvo (02-16-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have same problem. Did this work? We just purchased car last week. Thanks

Old 02-16-2022, 11:52 AM

Just did the above update of holding defrost and home buttons. This seems to work. I'll keep you all posted. Just a question, do any of you have google accounts associated with your maps? I don’t. Thinking if this could be a problem.

Last edited by mbsjshad; 02-16-2022 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Did an add to question
Old 02-16-2022, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by mbsjshad
Just did the above update of holding defrost and home buttons. This seems to work. I'll keep you all posted. Just a question, do any of you have google accounts associated with your maps? I don’t. Thinking if this could be a problem.
Google does not differentiate accounts between services. If you logged in with a gmail account, that is the same account for Google Maps, YouTube Music, etc.

Not clear on what it is that you are asking 'if it could be a problem.' Regardless, not having an account would not preclude the GPS from working. It would just prevent your location from being associated with your Google account.

Old 02-21-2022, 09:25 AM

What I am suggestion is that if the driver (user) does not have a google account associated with the google system in the car (as we didn’t) could the system lose information being its not saving to the google history. We have had no problems since rebooting the system and creating a google account associated with the car.

Old 02-22-2022, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by mbsjshad
What I am suggestion is that if the driver (user) does not have a google account associated with the google system in the car (as we didn’t) could the system lose information being its not saving to the google history. We have had no problems since rebooting the system and creating a google account associated with the car.
It is saving to the Google history. Just a different account. And you have the password. Its no different than having husband@gmail and wife@gmail.
Its not associating your location or music you play in the car (mycar@gmail) with your personal Gmail account (myname@gmail).

However, you'd be losing all of the benefits of having the Google services. You wouldn't have access to your playlists, for example.

Shouldn't be an issue. The car doesn't work differently for mycar@gmail than myname@gmail. And it supports multiple users. husband@gmail has different preferences than wife@gmail.

Old 02-22-2022, 04:37 PM

Yes I understand that and thanks for the reply. We were using google maps with no google account which you can do. Thanks again ! I always enjoy the conversation.

Old 02-22-2022, 06:40 PM
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I’ve been having the same issue for 3 days. VOLVO on call recommended to hold the defrost button for 60 seconds, then leave the car, lock the doors and let it sit for at least an hour. Didn’t help.
i also tried to hold the home button to reboot the screen and hold front defrost and home button at the same same to reboot the system. None of this helped.
Next available appointment with my dealer is March 15🤦🏼‍♀️

when should you leave the car and lock the doors if you do home button+front defrost button? I did it, waited for “volvo” logo on the screen, the screen then went back to normal (still no gps connection). After that I stopped the car, left t it and locked the doors. Is that right?

I’m planning a family trip in the begging of the next month and really cant’s do it with the maps being off.

CoKroVolvo (02-22-2022)

Quick Reply: XC60 2022 GPS stoped working