Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

XC60 Completely Dies when coming to stop (Start/Stop)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XC60 Completely Dies when coming to stop (Start/Stop)

I have a 2016 XC60 T5 that I got new in 2016.

Around the 10k mile mark, my XC60 started to die completely once I would come to a complete stop and when the auto stop/start would engage. To be clear, not just turned off like the stop/start does, but completely dies to the point where I have to put it back in park, and restart the car. No warning lights or anything at any point. This would only happen on rare occasion, definitely not a common occurrence like every time I stop.

This happened 4-5 times and before I could get in to the dealership to have it checked out, it happened again. This time, it didn't start back up. I had to get it towed in and ultimately they replaced the starter. Pretty rare for a brand new XC60 with 10k miles. It actually died on an off-ramp from the interstate, which was quite scary with cars flying off.

Fast forward 10-12k miles (22k total), it starts happening again. Shutting off randomly. I take it in, they say it has something to do with not getting enough power and they either replaced the battery or the starter battery, not sure.

Fast forward another 8k miles, just a couple weeks ago it started happening again. Took it in and they couldn't find any reason why it would be happening, couldn't replicate it (which isn't surprising because it happens infrequently - only once since it happened 2 weeks ago), and therefore couldn't diagnose any issue. Long story short, there is nothing they can do for me. They said next time it happens, to not restart it and have it towed in. That's quite the inconvenience and also betting on it not causing an accident or some other severe injury.

This seems to be pretty rare, but something has to be wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions? It's frustrating that I don't have any recourse (lemon laws aren't applicable) and the dealership doesn't seem to be willing to help.

Before anyone tells me to just turn start/stop off, I do sometimes, but don't always remember since you have to do it every time you start the car. I also didn't pay a premium for a car that has these extras, just so I can't use them.

TIA

Old 09-08-2018, 08:20 AM

Because of the infrequency, this will be tough as hell to diagnose. I would say take some video the next time it happens to show some evidence of the current state of the car (status of all dash displays, shifter, etc.). I know you won't capture the moment it happens, but it may prove your point. Replacing the battery and starter sound like good steps to take. Doesn't sound like a software glitch, otherwise others would be affected.

Hopefully the next time this happens, Volvo will get you a loaner instantly and they take the time to replicate the problem themselves and finally fix it. The safety angle (stranded in an unsafe location) will be good to emphasize to show the urgency in finding the root cause.

Old 02-06-2022, 06:32 PM
Default Did you figure this out?

I am having the same problem with my 2017 xc60. Did you figure this out?