Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

XC60 With New Battery Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XC60 With New Battery Won't Start

Hey all,

Went away Labor Day weekend and left my 2013 XC60 in the driveway for about 4 days. Came back and it wouldn't start. I tried jumping it with a friend's car and it wouldn't work. Called for a tow and the driver tried using his portable jumper and it worked. Took it out for a drive to charge up the battery and came home and turned the car off and then tried restarting it and it wouldn't. I ordered a jumper on Amazon and used it for a few days to get to and from work. Saturday came and I called AAA to come out and install a new battery. They installed and had me start it up and it worked with no problem. Didn't take the car out until the next day (Sunday) and it started again with no problem. We went to head home after visiting my brother-in-laws and the car wouldn't start. And now the jumper wouldn't even work. Called AAA and they came out and checked the battery and said the battery and alternator were fine. So I towed it to a mechanic. The mechanic just called and said it was probably the starter or the motor (?!). So now I'm freaking out that the motor is somehow bad even though it was running beautifully with no issues the past year that I've had the car. Car has 155k on it. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 09-26-2023, 03:58 AM

Hi JayC,

I had a same problem, you will laught on me....
turn off the auto lighting of the car manually on the left side!
wait a littlebit and try the starting button. Ok i know sounds so stupidity, but for me working...

Cheers,
Gabor

Old 09-26-2023, 11:43 AM

If you replaced the battery you need to rest the BMS (Battery Management System) so that it knows the battery is new and will properly charge it. If you do not reset the BMS the battery life will be significantly shortened.

1. Switch on ignition (do not start engine)
2. Switch on low beam headlights
3. Press 5x the rear fog light button (do not switch 5x on and off the rear fog light)
4. Press 3x hazard lights button (do not switch 3x on and off hazard lights)
5. Then the battery symbol in the speedometer should flash 3x quickly.

You may also have developed a parasitic current draw that pulls the battery down while the vehicle is off.