Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

XC60 Recharge Rear Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 06:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XC60 Recharge Rear Tire Wear

I have 11K on my car and the rear tires on the rear are materially worn compared to the front. The car seems jumpy when I hit a bump. Almost like there is tension between the rear and front wheels. I have taken the car in twice and they say nothing is wrong. I have flagged the car as unsafe. Driving into work during a heavy rains last week the rear end kept hydroplaning. Again like it was being dragged. Volvo master tech says there is nothing wrong with the car. Before winter I likely will need to replace the tires. Anyone else have any similar experience and/or guidance?

The following users liked this post:
andy xc60 (12-07-2022)
Old 09-11-2022, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

did they check the alignment or just inspect for possible suspension damage? I wouldn't assume that just because a car is new that it has a proper alignment. Its also possible there could be suspension damage or a bent part - either due to road hazard or the original shipping of the car from the factory. PS - whenever I have one of my cars aligned, I always request the print out for the before and after... Most dealers will comply (and if you insist they can propabably reprint from the alignment machine's computer.

Tbob (09-20-2022)
Old 11-27-2022, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XC60 Rear tire wear

I have had the same experience. The mileage is 15K and the front tires have probably 60% to 70% of the original tread whereas the rear tires have virtually no tread. I have meticulously checked tire pressure. The tread pattern shows even wear on the rear tires. I’m trying to decide on just replacing the rear tires or buying a set of 4.

Old 11-27-2022, 02:37 PM

Same problem here with my 2022 XC60 T6. At 20K miles rears are almost down to the wear bars. Tires are Continentals

Old 12-07-2022, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127
did they check the alignment or just inspect for possible suspension damage? I wouldn't assume that just because a car is new that it has a proper alignment. Its also possible there could be suspension damage or a bent part - either due to road hazard or the original shipping of the car from the factory. PS - whenever I have one of my cars aligned, I always request the print out for the before and after... Most dealers will comply (and if you insist they can propabably reprint from the alignment machine's computer.
Exactly the same problem with excessive rear tyre wear. My xc60 2021 has now covered 24k miles and is again in need of rear tyres....the third set...Once the tyres approach the wear bars the car is very unstable, jumping about overbumps, jumping sideways on rough corners. I haven't driven in in snow but I would expect it to be lethal. My car is front wheel drive so the only problem is obviously due to the regen system. Is there and way of disconnecting it.

Old 12-07-2022, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

Did you buy the same tires as OEM? You can use web sites like tirerack.com to compare the wear ratings for various tire makes and models. How often do you rotate your tires? I do mine every 5K miles and get a seasonal alignment following New England's official end of pot hole season... Keep in mind electric cars are heavier than ICE cars and regen braking does put some stress on the tires. Most electric cars offer a choice between single foot driving (which relies on regen braking to slow the car during throttle lift) or a standard mode where there's some coasting built into the throttle programming. The latter decreases efficiency but may save on tire wear. My suggest is to not mess with disconnecting anything and just choose your tire brand based on the projected wear rating. (You can inspect the sidewall of your existing tire to see what the UTQG ratings are. Wear ratings are a number that range from 100 (super gummy auto-cross ready tires that wear out in a flash) to something over 700 (hard as a rock, lasts forever). Most all seasons will be in the 500 range but some like the Conti CrossContact LX rated out a 740 for the 19 inch OEM size for your car.

Old 12-19-2022, 08:32 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

2022 XC60 B6 placed into service in December of 2021. With only 9800 miles on the car, both rear tires are at the minimum wear bar indicators. Car is at the Dealer for the 1st year service and will have the 2 rear tires replaced with OEM tires, which have a UTQG rating of 500, so they should last way longer than 9800 miles. The front tires have lots (75+%) of tread left, so the alignment seems fine there.

The Dealer is also doing a full alignment and inspection on the rear suspension. I'll get the results tomorrow when I pick up the car. My Service Advisor said they will ask Volvo to "Comp" the tires or a portion of them. In my view, if its just a bad alignment, it's an error from the factory as both rear wheels are off, and the fronts are fine. Thus I expect Volvo to pay for 75% of the new tires and an alignment that was bad from the factory.

I'll update this once I discuss further with the dealer when I pick-up my car tomorrow.

Update: Rear Tire alignment was grossly out of specification with significant Toe-In, causing both rear tires to wear out in less than 10K miles.

Bottom Line is that Volvo stepped up and replaced both rear tires and did a full 4 Wheel Alignment at no cost to me. I had expected to pay at least 25% of the cost of new tires as I had used them for 9800 miles, or about 25% of what you would expect for average tire life of these OEM Pirelli tires. So many points to Volvo for taking responsibility and making things right.

Last edited by 981KMAN; 12-21-2022 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Update
Cali_Thor (12-26-2022)