Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

xc60 tailgate problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xc60 tailgate problem

hello ,, Dear.

I have problem with my xc60 2010 tailgate door. it is open electronic with hydraulic until reach the top then fall down.

kindly, anyone can help to solve this problem

Old 06-27-2019, 12:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clean and lubricate the hydraulic door struts with WD40 or similar. It fixed mine when one strut was getting stuck and not opening all the way. Otherwise, if the struts are bad and can’t hold the weight, you will need to replace them.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:45 AM

On mine I replaced both struts and that did not fix the issue, so I replaced the pump. After replacing the pump (with a used one from Erie Vovo with lifetime warranty), the tailgate stayed up, but the down button didn't work, so I swapped the module from the old pump to the new/used pump and the down button works again. We don't know if the issue was incompatible software in the new module, or just the new/used module had a glitch with the down button, but if your down button works now, I would buy a used pump assembly (or just the pump itself) and try that. I wasted a few hundred bucks on a new hydraulic strut for the pump, and another $60 or more on the right side strut, both of which must have been fine. A used pump is cheaper. To order a new pump is almost $1000 just for the pump motor. The issue seems to be a bad valve or solenoid in the pump. Try disconnecting the hoses from the top of the pump when the tailgate is all the way up (after just being pumped up), and see if it stays up. I discovered that when the cylinder is full of oil still from being pumped up, as soon as I disconnected the hoses (which have pressure valves on the end), that the cylinder held the tailgate in the place. So it's losing pressure once it's connected to the bad pump/valves. You could also look at where the hoses connect to the cylinder on the tailgate to see if you are losing fluid there, but that might be obvious, you'd see a lot of red fluid leaking.

Last edited by aaronlife; 03-02-2020 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would bleeding the hydraulic system help? Does it need to be bled? Just wondering

Old 11-17-2021, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Eaglecrash2
Would bleeding the hydraulic system help? Does it need to be bled? Just wondering
Unfortunately, couldn’t solved it . Always suffer from tailgate Fall down on my head.
But would you think drainage little amount of hydraulic liquid may fix it ?

Thanks in advance …

Old 11-17-2021, 01:08 PM

I don't think bleeding it would help. If there's air in the lines, it will just get in again. Look for obvious leaks on the hoses and fitting ends.

I would start by disconnecting the hoses from the pump by removing the inside panel of the hatchback (with hatchback up after using the pump to lift it, so it remains full of fluid), and see if the hatchback stays up.

If it stays up, disconnected from the pump, then the issue is the valve inside the pump. In that case, the easiest thing to do is call ErieVovo give them your part #s and year etc., and install the new pump with lifetime warranty.

If the hatchback doesn't stay up when disconnected from the pump, then the issue must be something else; maybe the supporting strut, or maybe a bad hose or lift cylinder.

Old 08-17-2022, 10:25 AM
Default replace liftgate struts on 2012 XC60 electric with gas

Hi,
I am having problems with the power liftgate on my 2012 XC60 , sometimes works mostly dont. The dealer said its a1200$ job to fix. Is it possible to replace the electric struts with manual gas struts and what type would I need ?

Thank you for any information

Old 08-17-2022, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by WillKremer
Hi,
I am having problems with the power liftgate on my 2012 XC60 , sometimes works mostly dont. The dealer said its a1200$ job to fix. Is it possible to replace the electric struts with manual gas struts and what type would I need ?

Thank you for any information
Does it stay up? If it's just the electric motor that isn't working but the pressure in the system holds, you should be able to use what is there manually. I don't know which strut you would need to replace the power strut.

Describe the symptoms, maybe we can help. Dealer wanted that much to fix mine too, I replaced all my struts, it wasn't that, I just had to order a used pump with lifetime warranty from Erie Vovo and swap it out, not too difficult if you have some tools. If you have an indy mechanic, you could get the pump motor for a couple hundred and pay them an hours labor to swap it if you trust their work. The computer module might have to swap from your old to the new, I had to swap mine, different years were different, even if the pump is the same.

Old 08-17-2022, 11:25 AM

Hey ,
Thanks for getting back so quickly with the advice
The liftgate opens with assistance using the button but not from the closed position by itself , depressing the button while raising it manually works and its the same when closing.
The dealer did say it was the pump, I will shop around for a pump and install it myself

Old 08-17-2022, 11:40 AM

Call Erie Vovo they have a lifetime warranty on parts. (814) 878-2500

Old 06-21-2023, 01:58 PM
Exclamation Volvo XC60 Liftgate opens/closes 12" at a time

Has anyone else had the issue where the tailgate/liftgate will only open approx. 8-12" at a time? In other words, we have hit the open/close button numerous times to close the tailgate and finally manually close it. Any advice on how to fix? I've already examined the fuse box and the relevant fuse appears to be in order.

thanks in advance!
Mike

Old 06-21-2023, 02:53 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mike91183
Has anyone else had the issue where the tailgate/liftgate will only open approx. 8-12" at a time? In other words, we have hit the open/close button numerous times to close the tailgate and finally manually close it. Any advice on how to fix? I've already examined the fuse box and the relevant fuse appears to be in order.

thanks in advance!
Mike
You could try this:
https://www.volvocars.com/en-bh/supp...a801510088fcc1