Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

01 xc axle shaft questions/ angle gear etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 xc axle shaft questions/ angle gear etc

hello amigos,

Does the passenger side axle shaft pass all the way through the angle gear, hooking onto the tranny output shaft? I've searched all over and can't find the right picture with both components in it. I willl pick up the axle tomorrow but i dont have the angle gear yet and am wondering if I have to wait for all parts to arrive to be able to drive it around.

My story is that I have abused my car badly and am now trying to make good with repairs. 185K miles. i guess i ran all the oil out of my angle gear and have destroyed it. (4 days ago) I disconnected my prop shaft so i can drive while waiting for parts. I drove it today and I could hear the last gasp of the pinion gear being ground away. The car drove quietly for another 20 miles and i was pleased.

Arriving at my destination, my brakes groaned as I rolled to a stop. Upon a quick inspection after smelling burnt rubber I find that my strut spring has conveniently snapped and also spied the bare knuckles of my inner CV joint.

As this wasn't my first time to the broken spring rodeo, I quickily mounted my spare donut tire which allowed just enough room to clear the errant spring coil and i limped her home 40 miles.

I had a lot of time during the ride home to reflect on what a bad owner I am so I thought I would join the forum, start a thread and generally get my act together.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody had any idea? Just in case somebody lands here from a search with the same question the answer is....

you can completely extract the angle gear and everything down stream that drives the rear differential. You just reinstall the passenger side drive axle into the tranny. i put a small collar around the shaft to keep the splined sleeve that sticks out of the trans from migrating to the right, not sure if it was nee