Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo XC70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/)
-   -   ac blower fan (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/ac-blower-fan-22688/)

ktkamm 09-03-2008 04:24 PM

ac blower fan

For the last 6 weeks or so the blower fan on my AC will stay on for prolonged periods after the engine is shut off. In order to kill it, I have to pull the fuse. My wife also says that when driving the car for an hour or so, the ac blower works erratically. The only thing I can trace the problem back to is when I gave my dad's car a jump start. I am afraid I fried something. Any and all help to remedy this would be much appreciated. At my "last" service check at the dealer where it looks like they topped off fluids, etc for a mere $600+, they did look at the AC and said nothing was wrong. Needless to say, my wife was neither impressed or pleased. Thanks in advance. Kieran

tech 09-03-2008 07:47 PM

RE: ac blower fan

I would say the resistor is bad.

ktkamm 09-03-2008 07:56 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Is replacing the resistor a difficult thing to do. I don't mind a bit of a challenge, however, I would leave a more involved job to a mechanic.

tech 09-03-2008 07:58 PM

What year is the car?

ktkamm 09-03-2008 08:14 PM

2004 xc 70

tech 09-03-2008 08:23 PM

You have to pull the blower motor out and the resistor is in with the blower motor.

ktkamm 09-03-2008 08:28 PM

I am ignorant as to what pulling the blower motor entails, however, sounds like it may be a large job and one I may want to defer to a local mechanic. Thanks for the input.

tech 09-03-2008 09:14 PM

It isn't that bad. Remove lower dash panel 2 screws. Then look for the black blower motor. You will also have to remove the glovebox to get the motor out.

ktkamm 09-04-2008 05:21 AM

Thanks. I think I will go ahead and give it a try. Is thrre any way to test the resistor before odering a replacement. I have an ohm meter. Thanks again for the help.

ktkamm 09-04-2008 08:29 AM

In follow-up, I had my old mechanic look at it. He has an aftermarket code reader. No codes showed up as abnormal in the climate control, etc., area. Pulled some relay in the passenger side foot compartment which appeared to be the relay for the resistor. seemed to have very briefly reset things. He thinks it is probably best to bring it back to the dealer. Any additional thoughts?

tech 09-04-2008 06:51 PM

I haven't really messed with the Ohm readings for the resistor. It is just a common thing usually there is codes leading to it.
An average scanner cannot read climate codes on these cars.

ktkamm 09-04-2008 08:33 PM

I broke down and brought it to the dealer today. They will be replacing the resistor. I hope that is the issue. Thanks again for your help.

tech 09-04-2008 08:44 PM

I am 99% sure that is the problem. Yes please let me know how you make out.