Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

Can you change speedometer display in 2008 XC70 from Imperial to Metric?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you change speedometer display in 2008 XC70 from Imperial to Metric?

Hi,

I'm new to the forum so my apology if this question has already been asked in the past. My wife and I live in California and I'm thinking about purchasing a 2008-2009 XC70 for her when the lease on her BMW will end. There is a possibility that we will move to Europe and I wanted to see if it's possible to switch the speed display on the XC70 from MPH to KPH if we were to take the car with us? I didn't pay much attention to this when we test drove the XC70, but I think that the display was only in MPH. That's a little different since both of our current cars display speed in MPH and KPH.

Thanks in advance for your input on this!

Old 10-20-2009, 06:57 AM
Default KPH for a USA spec XC70

HI - we have a USA spec 2008 XC70 in Europe. Although the speedometer is in miles - there is a display that can run all of the time that gives a digital display of kilometers per hour. Works well for us.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:44 AM

teising, thank you for your note. It has been a while since I posted this question and I thought that no one will respond. We actually starter looking at the new Subaru Outback as an alternative because I figured that it would be very costly to change the speed dial display in the XC.

Quick question; how do you turn on this digital kilometer display and where exactly is it displayed? Once I have this info I will go to a local Volvo dealer and see how it works.

Thanks a ton!

Old 10-26-2009, 04:29 AM

So, there are two large dials in the instrument panel - the left one has the speedometer in miles and this is also the one where things like the cruise control "on" symbol appears and also the miles setting for a current cruise speed.
The right dial is the tachometer and the "information center" is in the center of the tach, so here is also the time and the outside temperature. In the center of this dial, one can choose the other information to be displayed - for example instantaneous miles per gallon - also one of the choices is kilometers per hour. Here in Europe, I keep the "kilometers per hour " reading showing almost exclusively.
On the left column stalk that also serves as the turn signal arm, there is a roller dial that allows you to choose the "kilometers per hour" reading. The reading will stay on as long as the engine is running but it will be interrupted by a low miles gasoline available warning is the gas tank gets to the low warning point.