Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

Do I really need a new transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I really need a new transmission?

I have a 2002 V70 XC with 120k that I just left at the dealership. They told me that I need a new tranny, "without a doubt", which will run me $3690. Ouch!!! Well, after having read through a bunch of posts on this forum regarding the transmission problems on this model, I have my doubts. Let me describe what's up - I really need your opinions on the best course to take:

As others have described with this model, I was having some hesitation going between 2nd & 3rd (high rpm), then after a long road trip (1500 mi), the thing started shuddering when going from a standstill, clunking hard into 1st from park, feeling like it's slipping, etc. Now I have a "Check Engine" lght and "Transmission Service Urgent" message, and when I pulled up to the dealer, I put it in park from semi-manual and it still read "4" I the gear display. Weird.

So - service guy says that the transmission fluid was black, there were several error codes, and that the tech was, therefore, "afraid to do a stress test" because he didn't want to blow it out and "total the car". I pressed him on it, and he told me that the problems were due to a bad valve body, but he said that the valve body replacement won't help because they're receiving gear ratio errors: the rpm going in to the tranny are slower (I think he said) than the rpms coming out, meaning that there's something slipping inside. He admitted that doing a tranny flush might help, but was dubious, saying that the blackness of the fluid is most likely actually gear material that's been stripped off.

So - could it be something as simple as needing a good transmission fluid flush? All fluids break down over time, and if the fluid is bad, it's not going to provide the correct pressure for the internal hydraulics, thus causing problems and giving error codes - right? Or does that not make sense?

So - opinions, anyone? I'm kinda desperate here, because I don't HAVE $3700 for a new tranny, and it seems like the dealership is just giving me an easy answer without really trying.

Thanks in advance - ANY help at all would be awesome!!!

Old 03-24-2009, 11:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used ones are available from car-part.com for around $1000. Tech, could you fit the transmission from an '03 or later model into the '02? Does the car need programming after installing a new/used transmission to allow it to work or can you just fit it and go?