Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

electrical issues, sunroof/interior locks

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation electrical issues, sunroof/interior locks

Hello all, I am glad to be here, I was a lurker for a few days but am here for good. I have an 01' V70xc. I really love my car and so does my dog! Nonetheless, I got in it Thursday morning and it would not start, just made a clicking noise. Jump started it and ran it for 45 minutes. While doing so noticed the sunroof would not come down from vent. position, door locks would not work, keyless entry would not work. Lights come on fine and go off when door closed. Checked ALL the fuses, they are o.k. REALLY weird. Any advise I can give my great private mechanic? Thanks

Old 08-22-2010, 09:42 PM

OK, I read some more posts on volvo.com as well as here. The battery isn't holding a charge. failed to start twice today after leaving it sit for a while. I think time to replace as it may have been done maybe 5 years ago. Ended up having to do the sit in the car and use the keys to lock and unlock and finally got the sunroof to close and the door locks on the drivers side door to work and then died again. Put a reader on it and was testing at 9-10 amps and after jumped back up to 13amps. Will replace the battery first and then look at other issues if that doesn't work as I can't recall since I've owned it if I ever replaced the battery.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:00 PM

I have had similar issues for the last month. I did not replace my battery at first because my regular mechanic said he had put another battery in it when working on it and that drained, too. I took it to an auto electrical shop and they showed nothing draining the battery, but that I did have a dead cell. I replaced the battery today and will see what happens over the next few days.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:09 AM

I highly recommend that you replace your battery on these cars as a preventative maintenance measure. Like 3 maybe 4 years. They are expensive, I know we own one, but the car has many voltage sensitive components and a bad battery will pull the DC bus voltage down and problems like this could arise.

Not to mention one of Volvo's clever features that turns on the cabin fan on to dry condensation on and around the evaporator 20min after the car is turned off. It's a great feature but I was a bit alarmed when we first bought our V70 and I walked outside 20min after turning the car off and the cabin fan was blowing full blast all on it's own. I thought the car had an electrical problem. This may in fact be what is causing your battery to drain.

Last edited by Bobec; 09-02-2010 at 11:16 AM.