Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

Left and right lower forks

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2021, 11:25 AM
flo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left and right lower forks

Forks to be changed as per dealer!! What are the signs of wear? Also the canister kit to be changed!
Should the distribution kit be done replaced also?
thanks and Merry Christmas!
2012 c70

Old 12-26-2021, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 487 Likes on 468 Posts

What part on your C70 are you referring to as a fork? the lower control arm? Assuming they are referring to a suspension arm, the signs of wear will be loose handling, thumping or noises when going over bumbs, visible cracks/tears in the rubber bushings. Replacment bushings can be pressed into the control arms and suspension links but typically the dealer will simply install a replacement unit complete with new bushings.

what engine do you have and what "canister kit" are they referring to? Same with "distribution kit". Are they referring to the cabin air filters or EVAP system cannister or perhaps the PCV oil separator here? For the "distribution kit" are they referring to the timing belt? Timing belts are due at 10 years or 120K miles, which ever somes first, so if that's what they are referring to, then that is a "must" maintenance item and should be done on schedule.

These are not typical US market terms for the parts so its hard to help without some added info.

Do you have any issues like a check engine light or fault codes showing up in a scan?

How many miles on your car?

Is this being recommended as part of a standard maintenance interval?

Old 12-26-2021, 01:27 PM
flo
Default C70

Originally Posted by mt6127
What part on your C70 are you referring to as a fork? the lower control arm? Assuming they are referring to a suspension arm, the signs of wear will be loose handling, thumping or noises when going over bumbs, visible cracks/tears in the rubber bushings. Replacment bushings can be pressed into the control arms and suspension links but typically the dealer will simply install a replacement unit complete with new bushings.

what engine do you have and what "canister kit" are they referring to? Same with "distribution kit". Are they referring to the cabin air filters or EVAP system cannister or perhaps the PCV oil separator here? For the "distribution kit" are they referring to the timing belt? Timing belts are due at 10 years or 120K miles, which ever somes first, so if that's what they are referring to, then that is a "must" maintenance item and should be done on schedule.

These are not typical US market terms for the parts so its hard to help without some added info.

Do you have any issues like a check engine light or fault codes showing up in a scan?

How many miles on your car?

Is this being recommended as part of a standard maintenance interval?
Hello, thanks for the answer.
2.5 l engine, car is in Mexico now....I think is the EVAP SYSTEM CANISTER as there is a check engine light on....cabin air filter has been changed.
Yes I think is the control arms ad there are some banging noises going over bumps.
Distribution kit I do not know exactly I thought they are talking about changing the Distribution cap and wiring because they will change the spark plugs also.
Car has 145000km...so under 100000miles.
I think the EVAP kit is not that critical as there are no emissions controls here.
​​here.The language barrier is big as when I translate to English it does not make sense sometimes.
thank you.

This is the quote i got. The brakes will need done soon ....

Old 12-27-2021, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 487 Likes on 468 Posts

I googled "kit de distribution" and it does indeed look like a recommendation to have the timing belt serviced. Since your car is a 2012, you've come up to the 10 year mark so their recommendation is consistent with the factory interval (10 years or 120K miles - whichever come first). Typically the service includes replacing the timing belt, tensioner and possibly the serpentine drive belt and any idler wheels should they show signs of play. For cars with variable valve timing, there's an extra .5 to 1.0 hour labor to set the cam gear correctly. My guess is that this job should run $600 US (250 parts + 350 labor) give or take $100 assuming no other issues are found.

Old 12-27-2021, 01:14 PM
flo
Default C70

Hello again,
Thank you for your input!