Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

New Volvo owner + Old Volvo = ???help!??

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Volvo owner + Old Volvo = ???help!??

Hi Guys. I'm new here and new to Volvo so be gentle with me if (when) I ask a stupid question, K.

There seem to be a bunch of knowledgable common sense posters here with a good amount of Volvo history and personal experience under their belt so I thought I'd ask.

So here's where I am.

I Purchased a 2001 Volvo V70 xc AWD with 115k. I really like the car but naturally at 115k there are some things that need tended to. I know there is a time to take the car to the dealer but I would rather try to knock out (no pun intended) the simpler things and become familiar with the vehicle before I expose my posteior to a sparsly lubricated dealer probing .

#1. There is a "klunk" when shifting from R to D and back. I've read about a "fix" for this using front axel bolts for a V90. The part number is 30714142. Does anybody kniw a good place to get these bolts or "screws" for a reasonable price?

If these bolts can fix the problem it seems like a no brainer. If they don't fix it,....I guess I'll move to the CV joints.

#2. Front end "knock" or "rattle" when a small bump is incurred. It sounds like it's coming from the area of the struts. I plan on doing the front srtuts but I'm confussed about what will fit my V70 xc because of the listing discrepencies of some retailers and the slight differences in struts among very similar models (v70 xc, xc70, v70-4wd, v70-awd).

I've already gotten new mounts and seats since I'll be in there anyway. Do I need to service or replace anything else while I'm into the front end, IE: sheaves, bushings, linkages? Any special tools I'll need or "things I might break" while doing this I should have replacements on hand for?

Any recomendations on brands of struts. Mid grade, no Konis. KYB, Bilstein maybe even Monroe.

#3. Tansmission shudder. The tranny usually shifts fine but in mountain cutbacks and grade changes it sometimes feels like it can't decide which gear it wants. It's annoying and it just doesn't feel like it's doing the car any good.

Any "fix" advice on this? Could there be internal selenoids sticking? Is it possible that any type of tranny cleaner / conditioner could "free up" a stuck selenoid? I've heard of a dealer reprograming of the tranny. Anybody have this done? If I have the tranny reproed are there other "computer" settings I should have done at the same time?

There is also a thumping that seems to come from under the driver side but behind the driver seat when going over small bumps.

I'll be doing the rear suspension after I get the front done. I see different shock specs there too. How do I know if I have the Nivomat SL shocks? What parts should I replace or service while I'm into the rear end?

Any advice or recommendations on these, or any other V70 xc related knowledge, are greatly appreciated.

P.S. What online retailers are the best bet for ording Volvo parts, getting the right part and having them in stock?
Thanks. Nick

Old 10-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

The one I can definitely help with is the front end clunk, after going through this with my wife's 01 XC-70. Be sure to change out the sway bar end links! They are easy and fairly cheap, and stopped our clunk. As for struts, I changed them out as well. Go with the best you can afford at the time. Check out www.fcpgroton.com or myswedishparts.com for good deals on parts and supplies.