Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Volvo XC90

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Volvo XC90

I just bought this car from a friend about a month ago. Ok, so I know now that what I did was utterly stupid, but I need help please...if possible. I only have one key for this car. It's a large black fob with an actual metal key for the ignition slot .... not a push button start, and the fob has all the typical buttons (lock/unlock, open trunk/rear, panic button). I did not know about the anti-theft devices on this car OR that i HAD to have the fob to start the car. I wanted to remove the actual key from the fob and put it on my key ring. I broke the fob apart to remove the metal key. That was last night. My daughter said the car was making weird noises and lights were flashing on and off. I thought nothing of it at the time. Today, the car won't start. After trying a couple times, I suddenly realized it may be the missing fob. I put a new battery in it, snapped it all back together (with the exception of a small spring and small broken plastic piece) and then place the metal key back in its place....then I duck taped around it so the key won't fall out. I followed every step in a different thread ( put the key in position II five times, disconnect the negative on the battery for a bit, etc...) and none of these have worked. I am currently (after removing ALL fuses that are connected to the ECM) waiting for a bit before placing them back. I am PRAYING that this will "reset" things and my car will start. If not, I am out of options and too broke to have the car towed 5o miles to the nearest dealership. Is there ANYTHING ELSE I can do to disconnect this aggravating anti-theft feature in the hopes of getting my car started? I highly doubt that it is a mechanical issue or faulty part. The car was working and starting just fine until I stupidly broke the fob apart to remove the key. Please help if you can!!!

Old 04-18-2020, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

if it doesn't start with your duct tape repair, you will need a new key and that needs to be paired to your car. There are some options worth exploring to save a few bucks 1) price out a new key using a dealer web store. tascaparts.com has the best prices for genuine parts. You may also find something a an eBay or Amazon store online. 2) Next is look around for an automotive locksmith or a Volvo specific repair shop and call to see if they can program keys. You may get lucky finding a local shop with the software tool to do that. 3) find a friend with a large pick-up and a tow hitch and price out renting a car trailer from U Haul to get your car to the dealer... hot wiring the car is not an option...

The following users liked this post:
nandrews1231 (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 05:58 AM

I was wondering, if the lock/unlock and panic buttons on the fob still work on the car, wouldn’t that indicate that the car still “recognizes” this key? Is it possible that all the fob buttons will still work but it won’t actually start the car?
( I wasn’t sure if this could be an indicator that there might actually ‘coincidentally’ be a faulty part preventing it from starting.)

Old 04-24-2020, 11:47 AM

I'm wondering when you took the fob apart you might have left or lost the little chip that was in it, i just had spare keys made for my xc90 by a moble key maker, cost 250, to program 4 keys, he couldn't program the fob he said i would have to take to a dealer, not sure where you live but this was done in the Athens ga area ( i had to have 1 original key to do this)

Old 04-28-2020, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127
if it doesn't start with your duct tape repair, you will need a new key and that needs to be paired to your car. There are some options worth exploring to save a few bucks 1) price out a new key using a dealer web store. tascaparts.com has the best prices for genuine parts. You may also find something a an eBay or Amazon store online. 2) Next is look around for an automotive locksmith or a Volvo specific repair shop and call to see if they can program keys. You may get lucky finding a local shop with the software tool to do that. 3) find a friend with a large pick-up and a tow hitch and price out renting a car trailer from U Haul to get your car to the dealer... hot wiring the car is not an option...
My daughter found the chip...it had fallen out of the fob. I tried to place it back in its place but accidentally crushed it. However, I gently taped over it real well and it works! Praise God! Trying to sell or trade the car now. It is clearly beyond my ability to afford. Maintenance and repairs are just too expensive for my budget. Thanks for your help!