Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 XC90 T6 Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 XC90 T6 Transmission

I have an 04 that had the modfied GM transmission. I had it replaced for free by my Volvo Dealer. They said they didnt put another GM transmission in there and i totally forgot to ask what type of transmission they put in there. is there anyway of me finding out by looking under my car or something what type of tranmission it or can someone tell me what it was most likely replaced with?

Old 06-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It more than likely is the GM transmission, and it will probably fail again in a matter of time.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:05 AM

your kidding me right? is there anyway that i can actually check?

Old 06-15-2010, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why don't you justr ask them?

Old 06-16-2010, 07:28 AM

i decided to take my business elsewhere therefore I cannot ask them. what happened was i had to get my engine overhauled and for some reason or another they didn’t do too good of a job putting it back together those plastic components that lead to the turbo pipes weren’t put back on properly so therefore my turbo weren’t kicking in right I finally figured out the problem when I got under the hood and checked things out I guess no one should work on my car except me. Not to mention that they failed to mount my power steering fluid box on properly. I unfortunately was away on business for a while and my girlfriend picked up the car I didn’t get back until it was to late and they refused to believe that they had anything to do with it therefore i took my business elsewhere. a loaner car was issued to me at this time and my girlfriend took my dog to the vet cause he was sick and he took ill in the loaner car. Then the car began to make noises while turning so she took it to the service center to be looked at they noticed a smell in the car. Now i did have the car totally cleaned i told her to take it to a detailing center and get it cleaned totally the car went back smelling like a rose but they put in my account at the Volvo dealer that I "hurt" their loaner car and that they wouldn’t give me another one in the future if needed one. After these atrocities i decided that this Volvo dealer just wasn’t doing it for me. I mean how indecent can a place be my parents were costumers of that Volvo dealer they bought 2 Volvos from them well 2 and ½ because they paid for half my car and I paid the other half.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:10 PM

I think there is only one that fits in there buddy and it is the 4t-65, BY GM.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:58 PM

I actually read on a different site that in aug 09 they starting replacing bad tranny's with a new model. I will try to find the article. It has a new part number than the old ones. Im new to my volvo so am still learning.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:04 AM

I guess it was just this:
Quote:"All they did was go to a completely new transmission, no longer a rebuild. The old part number 8251468 was a rebuild from GM/Volvo, which as we know sometimes barely made it out of the stall it was so badly rebuilt. So the solution was to build them brand new, part number 36001126. You still have to send back your old one for a core, but that part number is brand new."End quote.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:13 AM

We are replacing one this week or next, i will let you know what i see.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:26 AM

Cool. I would hope after this many troubles and years they would come up with a solution. My 04 has over 120,000 km and if I have to deal with a tranny I would hope it is a more permanent fix! Only had it a month and seems good but after reading about the tranny's.......

Old 09-22-2010, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by SVTfocusO3
We are replacing one this week or next, i will let you know what i see.
so whats the deal?

Old 09-23-2010, 11:47 PM
Default Concerns with the XC90 T6 Transmissions

Do all T6s have transmissions that will fail? I have a 2005 T6 with 65K miles and am very concerned that I need to look at replacing my transimissions here in the near future. I am appauled that with all the problems that Volvo has nopt sent out a recall and replaced the problematic component. Honda did a recall and replaced all the faulty transmissions in their Odyssey Minivan.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by sadamsvt
Do all T6s have transmissions that will fail? I have a 2005 T6 with 65K miles and am very concerned that I need to look at replacing my transimissions here in the near future. I am appauled that with all the problems that Volvo has nopt sent out a recall and replaced the problematic component. Honda did a recall and replaced all the faulty transmissions in their Odyssey Minivan.
unfortunatley dude it is more then likely that it will fail i was lucky enough to get mine replaced for free for some reason or another. but thats not even the begining of the problems that i have had with my XC90 i had to get the engine overhauled i think that had something to do with me putting regularin my tank because i had a cracked cylinder head, busted head gasket and antifreeze coming out of the exhaust those were the two major problems i have had. my other problems was a fault DEM (differntal electronic control module) fried main computer ( about 3 grand or so later thats all fixed) but other then that it has just been simple software upgrades and basic wear and tear. I love volvos i always have but my 1999 S80 was plauged with constant electrical problems after threatening to sue volvo they allowed me to give my 1999 back in 2000 and i got a bradn new 2001 S80 T6 in september of 2000 thats when you get your new model years in september. my 2001 never had any problems at all it was basic bull as well my XC90 has only had the problems that i mentioned above. It hasnt made me change my mind about Volvo it is one of my most favorite brands and it always will be they are extremely safe and damn they handle well and are sooo comfortable the suspension on my xc90 is nothing like i have ever seen before i hug the roads going around curves etc. But yeah i hate to tell you this but your tranny might fail but it might not as well i remember mine went out right around the mileage you are at now. maybe you should go to the volvo dealer see what tehy will say. They might change it out for you before the bastard breaks so that way you are not on the side of the road with your thumb up your @$$ like i was waiting for a tow-truck. I have only been left on the side of the road twice once with my 1999 and once with my 04 XC90 when my engine had the problems i was in my driveway so i just got it towed and went to the volvo dealer in my trusty 02 explorer XLT V8. Now that was a car you could always trust that car never gave me any problems absolute 0 problems it was my dads before it was mine and it gave him 0 problems as well and that car saw 120 miles of road every day m-f he drove it into NYC from CT everyday for 7 years. I finally had to get rid of it @ around 200,000 miles or something i dont remember cause my odometer stoped working but it was pretty far up there. i finally had to get rid of it because a connecting rod snapped. well enough of my rambling i hope i answered your question

Old 01-22-2011, 05:27 AM

2004 XC90 T6 owner and I truly love/loved this car. Excellent handling, good power band, and the interior was just the right size for me. Should have started getting a clue to its maintenance when, after two years into owning it after purchasing it used, the extended warranty covered a little over $9000 in repair costs. Now 4 years into owning it, and 116,000 miles, I am facing $6000 for a new transmission. I am not a happy camper!

Old 01-24-2011, 10:33 AM

I was out of warrenty too but my replacement was fully covered they even picked up the tab for the rental while they waited for a transmission to come from sweden.
Originally Posted by bobbrinksster
2004 XC90 T6 owner and I truly love/loved this car. Excellent handling, good power band, and the interior was just the right size for me. Should have started getting a clue to its maintenance when, after two years into owning it after purchasing it used, the extended warranty covered a little over $9000 in repair costs. Now 4 years into owning it, and 116,000 miles, I am facing $6000 for a new transmission. I am not a happy camper!