Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 xc90 5 cylinder is blowing blue smoke from tailpipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 xc90 5 cylinder is blowing blue smoke from tailpipe

I just had a required emissions inspection done abut 4 days ago and my car passed the inspection but it is blowing A LOT of blue smoke from the tail pipe. The smoke is not white - - I have had that problem before and it is not black.

It first did this approximately a year ago. It blew blue smoke when I first cranked it for about 1/4 mile and it wasn't very noticeable, then it stopped and did not do it again until about 6 months later. That time it blew smoke off and on throughout the day for about 2 or three days. It was more than the first time but not as much as now. But, definitely enough to notice. Then it stopped for about another 6 months which was about a week ago, when it started blowing blue smoke every day, most of the day. The smoke is much thicker but still blue, not black ALTHOUGH, the tailpipe has black smoke in it. Yesterday, it was so thick, I could barely see the cars behind me, and I went to a drive through window and it was embarrassing because the smoke went inside the restaurant.

Anyway it is also BURNING OIL because I have to add oil more frequently than I should over the past year or so, Actually, I think it has been that way since I got the car in 2010, but it is not leaking oil because I park in my driveway and there are no oil spots. There has never been oil spots or any other fluids in my driveway. My driveway is completely dry and oil-free. So, where is this oil going? I just had the OIL CHANGED 2 DAYS AGO. Still smoking.

Also, the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT started coming on intermittently about 8 months ago. It stays on for several days and goes out for about two months and come back again. It is NOT BURNING ANYMORE GAS THAN USUAL, but it has always burned a lot of gas in my opinion. It has 130,000 plus miles on it. It has NEVER BEEN TUNED UP and I am wondering if that could be the problem.

I want to do as much of the work as I can, if I can but, I am a female and I am on a fixed income and I don't have a lot of money (actually none) but I am also a do-it-yourselfer. I am 57 years old and I don't do things like I did when I was younger. No heavy lifting. In other words, if it is "plug-n-play" where I can just remove a part and replace it without adjustment or if it is a situation that requires a little common sense and READING, reading instructions, measurements, reading codes adjusting spark plug gap, etc., I will do it! I will measure, read codes, etc. I will do anything that does NOT require any major calibration or adjustments. I take pictures and color code everything and write down the removal steps and do the reverse if applicable. I'll even crawl under the car if I just have to. Just want you all to know what my limitations are before any do-it-yourself advice is given.

WHAT IS THE DANGER OF ME CONTINUING TO DRIVE IT? It is my only source of transportation. I want to do the work myself but if it is a mechanic only situation, just say let me know. The technician told me to get some 'SMOKE BE GONE" to put in the oil. I always heard that was a bad thing to do because I heard that it would start things to leaking that were not leaking. WHAT DO YOU THINK? PLEASE HELP WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:41 PM

Sounds like a turbo seal leaking.

Have you had the codes checked? If not, go to a local parts store. They will usually do a check for free. Might start you in the right direction. If it hasn't been tuned up, has it had a timing belt done? If not, you need to address that. It's not your curent issue, but never the less. It should also have spark plugs replaced too. That you can do. Pretty easy.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

blue smoke means you're burning oil...which you already knew. it is generally not a good sign. it can mean the piston rings are shot which is real bad. but it may not be that bad. when the check engine light is on you need to read the codes with obd 2 code scanner. $60 at autozone or they will do it free. much more accurate than people guessing on the internet.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:29 PM

Have you changed the place you normally go to fuel up ??? are you using premium like you're suppose to ??? Is your oil level ok ??? any warning lights on in the dash ???

Old 03-10-2013, 09:46 PM

My manual does not say I must use premium. My oil level is fine. Occasionally, I have a "check engine" light to come on for a day or so and then it goes away. And, when it comes on, it does not stay on all day.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:49 PM

The code will still be stored in the computer. Get it checked first.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:50 PM

Good advice dllibson. I was driving today and the smoke was noticeable to many. I had what may or may not be a reputable mechanic approach me and gave me his card. He says he is a mobile auto mechanic. I was outside Autozone. I don't know about where you live but here in Atlanta, men hang around outside Autozone all day, trying to pick up work, especially when they see a female going into autozone. I did however notice different oil preparations. One specifically addressed compresssion and one specifically addressed SMOKE!

Last edited by bootcie; 03-10-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:53 PM

I will definitely go to Autozone tomorrow and ask them to check with the OBD 2 code scanner. I don't know why I did not think of that. Then again, I guess I thought that if the emissions did not pick up anything, the code scanner would not pick up anything either.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:58 PM

I think getting the spark plugs and timing belt changed is also a good idea. I have had a timing belt go out on me at the most inopportune time. I don't need that again. I know the spark plugs should be easy for me to do, but I also know that if the coil pack need changing, they can be pretty expensive. Only one is about $59 at AutoZone. Advance use to carry them for $39.00 for my 97 volvo 960, but I am sure these cost more. I think I will check Baker Imports here in Atlanta. They may surprise me. The timing belt is something I will have to get done by a mechanic.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:00 PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your suggestions. I will put all of them to work tomorrow.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:13 PM

Hello, I have been very busy since I was last on the site. I have since spoken with 4 local mechanics (One being a Volvo dealer) and they all feel as you do: that maybe the turbos are bad. So left it with the Volvo dealer for diagnosis and possible repair. As much as I want to be a do-it-yourselfer, I think this would be beyond my scope of abilities. The dealer quoted me $1711.00 if it is the turbos. I don't know if that is good or not, but I expected it to be more because it was the dealer. I had a different guy to quote me $600-$700.00 but I just like for a person to sound solid about quoting me prices, and I think those were used or rebuilt turbos. In the end, after I get the diagnosis, I might just go with the other guy. I think it would be good to get the timing belt changed, spark plugs and coil pack changed if this car has coilpacks. I am just on pins about what the problem might be and how much more it may cost. I will know on Monday, 3/25/13

Old 03-23-2013, 12:17 PM

Another question. I am trying to find the right tires for my vehicle Volvo XC90, I am seeing passenger, performance, SUV and light truck. Of course I understand that I should probably get the SUV/light truck tires but what is the difference in the passenger or performance tires. Just a simple "which ones" should I go with for my car. I typed that in at Google and believe it or not, no one would just give a straight answer. I found the equivalent of a short story about performance or passenger tires! And, I still didn't understand the point. Maybe it is just me. :>)

Old 03-23-2013, 01:05 PM

Passengers and performance are for cars or light weight vehicles..... Light truck SUV are built with stiffer and thicker sidewalls for solidity due to the greater weight of the vehicle.

Check out tirerack.com

Old 03-24-2013, 10:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you don't need brand new turbo from the dealer, just find someone to rebuild yours (they will replace the parts that wear out and it will be good as new). any local import "tuner" shop (fast 'n furious crowd) will be able to tell you where you can get it rebuilt. for tires, discounttire.com or tirerack.com have tons of info and selection. I have Pirelli Scorpion tires and they are very good but not cheap. Yokohama Geolander are also good. most tires that are of the recommended size will be suv tires. both those are.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:53 PM

Thanks. Right after I posted the question about tires, I figured out that the passenger ones were for cars. So I just shopped around for those that said light truck and SUV.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:57 PM

Thanks for the advice but I don't really know anyone nor have I been referred to anyone I can trust. The people I trusted don't do motor work or turbo work. So, it's already a done deal now. I am told that the car is ready for pick up tomorrow. I hope it's running right. It cost a little over $3900 plus. Turbos, Timing belt, idler/pulley/tensioner, gear shifter problem, fresh air hose or something like that, a few other things I can't remember.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:13 PM

How do you change the spark plugs in a 2009 XC90 with a 3.2 engine?