Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 xc90 - gear selector won't stay in drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2005 xc90 - gear selector won't stay in drive

Hi,

I have a 2005 xc90, on which I performed a transmission flush yesterday. Everything went as planned with the fluid change, however...

After I was done with the last top-up, I started it up and went through the gears to have the fluid mix up. When I took it for a test drive, I used the gear selector to go into manual mode (geartronic +/-), and then when I moved back to Drive - noticed that the gearstick would no longer want to stay in drive...

Basically there is now no resistance between automatic 'drive' mode, and the manual mode, gearstick just freely floats between the two. Feels like if I go over a bump in drive, it might slide over to manual.

I don't see how this would have anything to do with me changing the fluid in the transmission, but could it have something to do with me shifting to the gears without moving to get the fluid to mix? I saw someone mention that on the geartronic you shouldn't shift up through the manual gears while the car is not moving, and I may have done that..

I also don't think i have EVER used the manual mode before on this car, and I've had it for about 10 months. Is it possible that it was something that was already there in some form, and I just 'finally' broke it when i shifted into manual?

Otherwise, car drives fine, manual selector works fine, so does automatic, winter mode button works, and all indicators on the dash match whatever state the gear selector is at that time (manual, drive, etc).

Anyone had a similar issue?

Old 08-20-2012, 11:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect it is a simple fix like a broken spring or bushing in the shifter mechanism, not the trans itself.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by schumicat
I suspect it is a simple fix like a broken spring or bushing in the shifter mechanism, not the trans itself.
thanks schumicat, I also couldn't see how it could possibly be the transmission itself...

I pulled apart the center console last night, and this is what I found

Name:  ZUICg.jpg
Views: 1908
Size:  98.5 KB

That yellow part is supposed to be a single piece.

Part is called a 'claw' and part number is 8675629. Item #27 in this diagram:

Shift control auto. Trans GT. Fits: 2005 Volvo XC90 5DRS with Sunroof 2.5l 5 cylinder Turbo (T5) | VolvoPartsWebstore.com

I have a replacement, will put it in and upload the steps in case someone else needs to do this in the future.

The following users liked this post:
Jeshurun (05-14-2023)
Old 08-22-2012, 12:15 PM

Installed the new claw last night, no major issues, shifter works like new.

The black round retainer cap just pops up with a small screwdriver, though I suspect it could also break, which is why the new part contains both sides of the claw, two springs, and a new retainer cap.

The old bits:

Name:  v0EJh.jpg
Views: 1872
Size:  69.2 KB

New parts midway through installation (retainer cap and second spring still not in place).

Name:  8wFnt.jpg
Views: 1901
Size:  98.3 KB

Everything installed, some lithium grease on the moving plastic parts and where they touch the gear shift rod.

Name:  nqg7x.jpg
Views: 1859
Size:  104.2 KB

Relevant workshop manual pages for removing the center console and the gear shifter ****:

Name:  ebopa.jpg
Views: 1880
Size:  284.5 KB

Name:  a5dt3.jpg
Views: 1907
Size:  387.7 KB

Old 12-04-2012, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter fix, help..

You've inspired me to try to fix this myself. Found the correct part, thanks to your pictures. One question. I pried up the cover around the gear shift, expecting to see something like your picture. There is another cover at that point, before the shift assembly. I don't see how to get it off, any tips? I haven't gone all the way yet, removing shift ****, etc.

Thanks, I really don't want to pay labor costs for a ten dollar part..

Old 12-05-2012, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by blakemoreln
You've inspired me to try to fix this myself. Found the correct part, thanks to your pictures. One question. I pried up the cover around the gear shift, expecting to see something like your picture. There is another cover at that point, before the shift assembly. I don't see how to get it off, any tips? I haven't gone all the way yet, removing shift ****, etc.

Thanks, I really don't want to pay labor costs for a ten dollar part..
The other cover you mention is a hard plastic guide for the shift lever, I didn't take a picture of it. It is held on by 4 plastic tabs on the sides. You can carefully (with a small screwdriver) push on the tabs, and it pops out upwards. It's part #30 in the diagram I linked above, volvo calls it a 'Stop'. You can see the round tabs on the side of the part in the diagram.

Be careful not to break the tabs, and if you do - make sure the broken piece does not fall into the lever mechanism. One of my tabs must have been cracked as it simply broke and fell down as soon as I put a tiny bit of pressure on it. It was a pain fishing the piece out, though the guide went back on very solidly even with only 3 out of the 4 tabs holding it down.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Default Thanks..

That's exactly the part I meant, thanks. Ordered the claw (although on the 2003 s60 it's called a rocker arm, #9463559) last night, I'll give it a go, probably have another question for you. This is really helpful, we just spent 500 bucks getting this car up to speed, would like to do this myself. Thanks again...

Old 08-27-2013, 10:25 AM
Default Similar Problem with my 2003 XC70

Guys I have a similar problem with my XC70 (2003). The Geartronic shifter in the Auto transmission no longer seats nicely in the "D" for automatic. If it is jolted in the least way (or even vibrated), it can swing into the Manual mode. So, having read this post, I felt like it was something I could handle and I ordered the relevant parts for the XC70.

I followed the instructions and had a hell of a time getting the shifting lever off, but finally did. I got to the part that blakemoreIn did and simply could not go any further. I took some pictures of the "hard plastic shift guide cover" which jordank describes, but for the love of pete, I could not identify 4 plastic tabs which might (when pushed on) release the guide so I could do the repair. Is the part from the 2003 XC70 different somehow? I tried my damndest to pry the thing up from the side, from the front, but I never could figure out how to get it up.

I am posting the pictures in hopes that someone can tell me what I need to do to get the damn cover off, so I can replace the rocker arm.

2005 xc90 - gear selector won't stay in drive-img_0623.jpg

2005 xc90 - gear selector won't stay in drive-img_0624.jpg

2005 xc90 - gear selector won't stay in drive-img_0625.jpg

In advance, I appreciate any help someone might be able to give and shed some light on this piece.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 08-29-2013, 01:11 PM
Angry I had the same problem

I just replaced the claw in my 2006 XC90 and had a hard time getting the cover off. I eventually had to remove the whole outer casing and center consol. After I removed it I could see the tabs better. I think there was about 6 main screws I had to take out before it lifted off.

The actual gear "stop" doesn't just pop up as easily as I thought it should. I had to to push on one tab with a flat head and hold it there, while my husband pushed on the other tab (both front tabs) with another flat head. After that it popped up for me and I could make the repair.

Hope this helps some. Good Luck

Old 10-22-2014, 06:27 PM
Default Hopefully this helps others in future

I replaced mine today after it broke. This thread helped me get going, but I ran into the same problem as user Mafflerbach. I had my nice Volvo parts person look up instructions and email them to me. Even with the instructions on how to remove the 'gear shifter assembly stop', it is not easy on some cars.

I have a 2006 XC70 and the metal passenger seat handle has its mounting plate partially blocking the 'stop' cover from coming off. But, it can be done..it just took muscle and an extra set of hands. Hopefully, the following photos give you an idea of what the clips look like and their position. please note: I did not remove any wiring or components. I only removed the outer decorative panel, lifted the shifter panel, removed ****, and removed the shifter assembly stop (that extra black cover causing people trouble).

The attached images show the location of the 4 clips/catches on the under side of part #9463560, as well as the service manual images for how to use a screwdriver to help remove. **You will most likely need to pry the metal mounting bracket out of the way to remove the part (it blocks the passenger rear corner of the assembly).

Hope this helps.

Total cost to fix was $13.

Eric

Attached Thumbnails 2005 xc90 - gear selector won't stay in drive-allhelp.jpg   2005 xc90 - gear selector won't stay in drive-xc701.jpg   2005 xc90 - gear selector won't stay in drive-xc702.jpg   2005 xc90 - gear selector won't stay in drive-xc703.jpg   2005 xc90 - gear selector won't stay in drive-xc704.jpg  

Old 01-07-2015, 05:08 PM
Default 2nd cover

I've been trying to to get this 2nd cover off for hours now...no luck. Very frustrating. I've broken more than one piece of plastic in my attempts, hopefully none are vital .
Anyone have more detailed instructions on these ***ing tabs?!

Old 01-08-2015, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by penni006
I've been trying to to get this 2nd cover off for hours now...no luck. Very frustrating. I've broken more than one piece of plastic in my attempts, hopefully none are vital .
Anyone have more detailed instructions on these ***ing tabs?!
That piece is by far the most frustrating part of the job, and the VIDA manual doesn't even mention it.

I would look at the parts diagram again, and try to visualise the tabs:

Shift control Automatic Transmission GT. Fits: 2005 Volvo XC90 5DRS with Sunroof 2.5l 5 cylinder Turbo (T5) | VolvoPartsWebstore.com

I do remember that it was possible to use a small screwdriver to pry open the tabs a little, then pull up, and I did one side first, then the other. I hope that helps...

Old 07-05-2016, 11:23 AM
Default I was able to get the cover off

The pictures in #10 above helped the most. I found I could put a flat tip screwdriver down to each tab (there is an opening above each tab probably for the very purpose) and gently pry the wall of the cover out. The tabs are on the cover. Once I found the tabs, i didn't have to pry very hard. The toughest one is the passenger back tab under the handle fixture. It is on the 45 degree part in the corner. Getting the piece out on this corner was also difficult. Getting it back in was harder. Eventually I put a screwdriver down about the same place I used to get it off and it slipped right in place.
The other tough part was getting the **** off the stick. You really just pull up hard. Be careful, once it goes, you can hit yourself in the face.

I fixed it and put it back together and it works like new.

Last edited by Jedaroo; 07-05-2016 at 11:26 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-19-2016, 07:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The picture in post #10 helped me too, but because there aren't any videos to show how to open it I created one. Here is the link to the video:

Like Jedaroo said, a flat tip screw driver works.

The following 2 users liked this post by ImJustMe555:
jaredbates (12-29-2022), Wintersthrall (11-14-2023)
Old 05-29-2018, 11:30 PM
Default XC 90 Shifter Cover removal

my 2006 xc 90 also won't stay on drive . I have removed the shifter **** and the outer cover but I am having a hard time removing the housing cover of the shifter to replace the claw. Can someone post a video or give me some guidance how to do it. i studied the diagram but i could not still remove the cover. Please help.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by raroque
my 2006 xc 90 also won't stay on drive . I have removed the shifter **** and the outer cover but I am having a hard time removing the housing cover of the shifter to replace the claw. Can someone post a video or give me some guidance how to do it. i studied the diagram but i could not still remove the cover. Please help.
The video above (posted by ImJustMe55) seems to cover it (no pun intended) pretty well. As mentioned previously - it is one of these things that is really hard to explain easily..

Grab a long thin flat head screw driver, and try to lever the side pieces off a little bit, while also pulling up, one side at a time. I ended up breaking one of the tabs on mine, but it didn't seem to affect anything ultimately. I'm pretty sure that even if all the tabs were broken, you would be able to keep the cover in place with a few dabs of silicone... if it really came to that. So don't be afraid to pull on it a bit.. cover moves UP, and the only thing that holds it in place are the 4 tabs on the side...

Old 06-02-2018, 12:24 PM

Thanks...I reviewed the diagram again and the best way to remove that cover is to push on the rounded tabs on each side at the same time. It is best to do the front side and used screw driver that will fit in the hole of the rounded tabs. Push hard and up and came off easy.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:25 PM

Can you feel this when it happens? My xc90 2006 has a major shudder, almost like it’s going to break down at around 55 mph when going uphill. My mechanic just looked at it and said the transmission is fine, he found that the car is not staying in Drive mode and is just not being held in place and falling into Manual. If I keep my hand on the shifter to keep it in drive the problem goes away. I am picking up my car tomorrow. Did anyone else experience a shudder or rumble when this happened and you were unaware it was falling out of Drive?

Old 01-16-2019, 10:20 AM

Exact same thing happened this morning. Thanks to this thread, i was able to have an idea as to what went wrong.
I wanted to use jbweld as temporary fix but i couldn’t find the other half of the yellow piece. It must have lodged somewhere below.
I really wanted to have some remedy done for the mean time while waiting for the part, so i thought about what i could use to keep it from veering to the left. I got a cable tie and cinched it tight to the right. Now, the selector doesnt go to manual. I may leave it this way as i think this would really last longer than replacing the yellow part. I dont really use manual at all, so not a really a loss.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:19 PM

Great information and photos, jordank. Really helped me fix my 2007 S60. Thanks! I would like to add a few directions that might help some install the five kit parts: yellow jaw, black jaw, black retainer pin, two springs, one with a "kink" on one end.
1- Remove the old parts by prying off the old retainer with a screw driver and remove the old parts. The top broke off of mine.
2-Assemble a jaw "sandwich" with yellow jaw (flat side down) on the bottom, spring with straight ends nested on top of that, black jaw on top (flat side up) with spring (straight ends) nested between the two jaws.
3-Hold the assembled "sandwich" together tightly and spread the jaws apart enough to slide them over the top of the shifter-rod and slide it down spreading the jaws as needed to get it all the way down so that the hole in the "sandwich" goes down over the retainer post.
4-Insert the retainer pin to hold it in place.
5-Install the other spring as shown in one of jordank's photos.
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: 2005 xc90 - gear selector won't stay in drive