Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 XC90 V8 Engine 4766

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 XC90 V8 Engine 4766

I posted this on another forum in 2007-I wanted to get members thoughts. Thanks

14 days ago my 2005 XC90 V8 lost power as I accelerated and lost power. It would not start and was towed into the local Volvo dealer. I was surprised to learn from the dealer that the fuel pump needed to be replaced and the gas tank! I asked what would cause the gas tank to fail and was told they found some irregularities in the tank (not in the fuel) so they called Volvo and were told to replace the gas tank. After 8 days I picked up the car and immediately filled up with gas. (new tank-no gas) Less than 24 hour later the car began to hesitate and stall while on an interstate going 60mph. The car would restart but would continue to stall out or slow down. The check engine light was on as was the "fuel cap loose" LIGHT. I checked the cap and fuel door several times and it was closed and locked. I drove the car (AFTER TALKING TO THE DEALER) approx 50 miles to get home. I brought the car back to the dealer and after 24 hours they have informed me that I should contact my insurance company as they believe someone put sugar or something into my tank. Now they are saying this was the original problem and that I was sabotaged again sometime between the time I picked up the car 5pm and 4PM the following day. I find this very hard to believe-even one time much less 2. They want the insurance adjuster to look at car and I may have to involve the police. I just find this a very unlikely cause. I asked for samples of the gas (they said they were having it tested the first time I took it in) and received containers with the gas from the first breakdown and a second container with gas I purchased just after picking up car. The older gas has big chunks of something in it and the gas in it now had something in it but it does not appear to be big chunks. The dealer also showed me a picture they took that looked like a big white cloud was in the tank. The dealer wanted to give me the heads up because it could mean major engine repair and it is not covered by warranty. This whole thing sounds crazy and far fetched. I don't think I have any enemy that would do such a thing and I always keep my car locked-which locks the gas cap. No evidence that the fuel door has been tampered with. Any ideas...I am sick about this and I feel the dealer is laying the groundwork that any future engine or performace problems wll be blamed on this and therefore not covered by warranty. Car has 37,000 miles. I plan to have both batches of gas tested.

Oh I have also tried to have that noice when making turns at slow speeds fixed several times. The dealer acts like this is a new thing to them but based on this forum I think many dealers have been made aware of this noise/bump.

HELP-LOVE MY CAR BUT THINK SOMETHING IS NOT QUITE RIGHT AND I AM SCARED OF FUTURE PROBLEMS.