Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 XC90 V8 problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 XC90 V8 problems?

Just Bought a 2005 XC90 4.4V8, wondered what kind of problems anyone was having (or not having any) with these vehicles! Thanks!

Old 12-31-2010, 02:18 PM

I have an '05 V8 AWD with 90K miles on it. I had the alternator go out on it in July ($1200), key cylinder in November ($1200) and just got the repair bill for the balance shaft bearing failure ($4000). Volvo has agreed to pay 50% as this appears to be a common problem related to a design flaw, whcih was corrected in later models. There is lengthy discussion regarding this probelm on www.swedespeed.com

Old 01-06-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by doctorvanberkel
I have an '05 V8 AWD with 90K miles on it. I had the alternator go out on it in July ($1200), key cylinder in November ($1200) and just got the repair bill for the balance shaft bearing failure ($4000). Volvo has agreed to pay 50% as this appears to be a common problem related to a design flaw, whcih was corrected in later models. There is lengthy discussion regarding this probelm on www.swedespeed.com
Can't speak to the other issues but the balance shaft bearing failure is a known issue. The bearing apparently fails due to water getting in and ruining the bearing which then causes major damage to the engine. 06 and newer had a drain hole, the 05s don't, so whatever you do, don't wash you engine.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Default Drain hole

Originally Posted by pcarnut
Can't speak to the other issues but the balance shaft bearing failure is a known issue. The bearing apparently fails due to water getting in and ruining the bearing which then causes major damage to the engine. 06 and newer had a drain hole, the 05s don't, so whatever you do, don't wash you engine.
There was a service bulletin for mechanics for drilling a hole in the cap to allow for water drainage...Might want to check and make sure this was done.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:32 PM

Just bought a used xc90 v8 2005 and wonder where can I get Key FOB since it didn't come with it. I also look forward to recommendations regarding what brand and where to get tires 235/60/18 for xc90 v8 and Tan color floor mats. All suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Warmly,

A Volvo User

Last edited by volvouser5; 01-16-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:43 AM

These will most likely be my next tire, good test results and excellent characteristics, pretty decent price too. I've order quite a few tires from TireRack and been pleased with their service and prices. You can have the tires shipped to you or directly to an installer.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....D&autoModClar=

Old 01-29-2011, 09:27 PM
Default '05 XC90 V8 Horror Story

Sadly I have been through a pretty rough year with my '05 XC90 V8. First the counter-balance shaft failure mentioned previously ($6000)and now the valve body/transmission failure ($7000). Would like to hear from any other unfortunate souls who suffered through this.
I have a lawyer and am now compiling info regarding both of these well known(to Volvo)issues. There is a Volvo tech advisory about the counter-balance shaft issue that I would sure like to get my hands on. Any disgruntled Volvo employees out there? I've driven Volvos since the 70's and have never experienced anything remotely close to this. If Volvo doesn't step up to plate and compensate us we will never drive one again.
Does anyone have any thoughts or advice? Thanks for your time.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:30 PM

Hey...regarding your C-B shaft fail, was wondering if you are in Canada or the U.S. ?
I had the same issue with an American XC90 inported from the U.S. Thanks.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:13 PM
Unhappy 2005 XC90 V8 Problems

I am very sorry to say that I have given up on my XC90 and VOLVO. Just made my last payment in Nov 2010 - looks like I will need to replace the car this week. Over the past month or two I have brought the car to dealer because of check engine light. Twice they gave software updates and could not find anything wrong. Thought the software would fix the problem. Two weeks ago (while raining) EVERY LIGHT ON DASH CAME ON. Check engine, power overload, brake failure, limp mode and many others I can't remember. Then there was a loud popping noise that seemed to come from the center speaker near windshield. Drove to dealer and by the time there the car had lost power steering, lights were dim-did not turn on radio or heat as I knew there was a problem with the power. Dealer replaced alternator at a cost of $1,006 after a 10% discount. 10 days later check engine light came back on and car lost lights and windshield wipers-it was 9:00pm and sleeting. Car was towed into dealer and now needs new computer module due to water getting into it. The cost of this repair is 2900.00 plus possible an additional 500 to replace the alarm system. It also needs a new battery. I can not continue to put money into this vehicle no matter how much I love the car. I have had so many problems with the car-the gas tank was replaced twice-the ignition has been replaced because key gets stuck in it and I can't turn car off. This continues to be a problem that can't be permanently fixed. I keep reporting noises in the front end-problems with steering and the dealer can't find anything wrong. On top of that I had to have the hood repainted because the paint was peeling-after the dealer told me it was from something hitting my car on highway (something that landed on hood and ate away paint). He suggested I call my insurance co. A few weeks later more spots appeared and now dealer says looks like hood was repainted-asked me 3 times if it had been repainted-said no each time and them told him if it was repainted it was done by dealer or Volvo as I had picked car from lot as brand new and had NEVER PAINTED IT. I have had so many problems with this car and dealer. I asked them to give me price as I cannot afford repairs or live with the reliability issues. Thoughts on value or experience with V8 or newer models would be appreciated. It will not be easy for me to get another vOLVO EVEN though I have had only VOLVOs since 1986. We have owned a total of 6.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:34 PM
Default Balance Shaft failure

Volvo in Scottsdale did pay for half of the repair cost on my balance shaft failure in Dec of 2010, and they discounted the labor as well as parts to their "warranty" rates. My out of pocket was about $1600 and this included a new timing belt. They did drill a drainage hole through the block as well in order to correct the cause of early '05's having this failure in the first place. I believe that enough owners have this same problem and it is made more widely known, all our repair costs may be re-imburst at some future date??
Bluejay...I dont think it matters if it's a US or Canadian XC90 since all were build in the same factory in Sweden.
Volvouser5...I bought Kumho tires through TireRack last summer and have been extremely happy with them. No difference what so ever in handeling, noise, etc over the twice as expensive Michellin's

Old 02-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Cool 2005 XC90 V8 counter balance shaft bearing failure

sign me UP! came outta nowhere. as soon as I heard the "tin lizzy"
sound eminating from my engine I instinctively shut her down and
had my baby towed(flat bed) to my dealer.

Now I see this failure everyhere on the "Volvo Forums".
I LUV my vehicle. Meticulously maintained (had the dreaded fuel pump fixed in 2010).

Not many people describe the "sound" when this bearing fails/begins to fail???
There is a an audible grinding noise and (when very bad) sounds
like someone has tossed "ball bearings" into your Yahama V8!

Its ludicrous we are even talking about this issue on a $50K+ car!
Warranties or not, extended or otherwise. An SUV of this caliber
(if well maintained) should run and run and run.

Catastrophic engine failure due to a ****-poor bearing/engine design
is not what I signed up for with a Volvo.

Dumb swedes...someone in engineering should be shot!

I am an optimist. When I get this fixed...think I will be good for years to come...

Engine # 5441
mileage: 58K

Let's see what my dealership does (have a very good relationship with them) BUT they seem rather closemouthed on this issue (what can you say...i would be speechless too!).

Old 02-28-2011, 10:05 PM

Hey...I picked up my XC90 at the dealer here in Saskatoon today. The total bill for a software upgrade(which didn't help)and a valve body replacement(which didn't fix the transmission shuddering)ultimately requiring a complete transmission came out to just under $13,000. I've found bulletins pertaining to this common transmission problem (on '05s). In one bulletin there is a note identifying transmissions starting with serial number 06J and later that already have the latest valve body which was designed to prevent the shuddering. This known design flaw is no different than the counterbalance shaft bearing that they were also aware of. I'm not sure if your dealer charged you a $500 inspection/certification fee when you inported your XC90 but I was told that they wouldn't touch it if I didn't pay the $500. After the certification they told me that all recalls had been done and that everything checked out. It's at that point where Volvo Canada is compelled under what is called "implied contract" they took my $500 for a certification and did not comply with the contract by advising me of the known design flaws with the '05 XC90 V8.
So this sad saga continues (total so far over $20,000) but rest assured I will not stop till I'm compensated.
I also have an ace in the hole, a friend of mine works for CBC and I've told him this story and if things don't go my way they could find themselves getting some very negative press(a' la Toyota). So stay tuned, thanks again for your note.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by BlueJay
Hey...I picked up my XC90 at the dealer here in Saskatoon today. The total bill for a software upgrade(which didn't help)and a valve body replacement(which didn't fix the transmission shuddering)ultimately requiring a complete transmission came out to just under $13,000. I've found bulletins pertaining to this common transmission problem (on '05s). In one bulletin there is a note identifying transmissions starting with serial number 06J and later that already have the latest valve body which was designed to prevent the shuddering. This known design flaw is no different than the counterbalance shaft bearing that they were also aware of. I'm not sure if your dealer charged you a $500 inspection/certification fee when you inported your XC90 but I was told that they wouldn't touch it if I didn't pay the $500. After the certification they told me that all recalls had been done and that everything checked out. It's at that point where Volvo Canada is compelled under what is called "implied contract" they took my $500 for a certification and did not comply with the contract by advising me of the known design flaws with the '05 XC90 V8.
So this sad saga continues (total so far over $20,000) but rest assured I will not stop till I'm compensated.
I also have an ace in the hole, a friend of mine works for CBC and I've told him this story and if things don't go my way they could find themselves getting some very negative press(a' la Toyota). So stay tuned, thanks again for your note.
So this is an issue only with the 05's? Can you send me these bulletins, I would be interested in reading them?

Old 03-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Default UPDATE 2005 XC90 V8 counter balance shaft bearing failure

Well here I am going on TWO(2) weeks for this repair.(took them a week just to get parts (and they were "next day air")!

The engine has been taken out of the vehicle so tech can work on the problem. I still don't know how long this will take. Seems most folks wait about 2-4 weeks for their Volvo. Looks like I will fall into the 3-4 week column.

Volvo North America/my dealer stepping up. My out-of-pocket is
gonna be about $1000.00. Still I feel I should pay -0- dollars.
BUT again...58K and I am outta warranty.////

I will update all when vehicle returns to the fold...Thanks.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by jdmars02
Well here I am going on TWO(2) weeks for this repair.(took them a week just to get parts (and they were "next day air")!

The engine has been taken out of the vehicle so tech can work on the problem. I still don't know how long this will take. Seems most folks wait about 2-4 weeks for their Volvo. Looks like I will fall into the 3-4 week column.

Volvo North America/my dealer stepping up. My out-of-pocket is
gonna be about $1000.00. Still I feel I should pay -0- dollars.
BUT again...58K and I am outta warranty.////

I will update all when vehicle returns to the fold...Thanks.
Hi All:

...gonna be another week or so BEFORE XC90 ready to roll (vehicle mobile and no bearings rolling around my engine). :/

In my experience, both Volvo(on parts) and my dealer have been rather lackadaisical in this matter.
I plan on getting my dealer's attn. I will NOT pay for the parts (about $1000.00 + tax)! I have known
the GM for years and told him last weekend (at a social function no less!) unhappy with my experience.

...will update in the near future. (i pray 1st week in April)

PS my "optimistic nature" being tested!

Last edited by jdmars02; 03-23-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:54 PM

My Volvo back safe and sound. Repair took 5 weeks(service tech worked on weekends, came in early, stayed late to repair). Do not expect to get your car back for 3-5 weeks. Volvo NA paid for all labor(35+ hrs!). My cost was all parts ($1380.50 (includes tax)).

Again, my repair was just for the CB failure (my engine was OK). The total cost for this repair is around $5200-$5600(parts and labor).

So far my baby is purring like a kitten. Just a bad/annoying experience.
to me...Volvo and my dealer did the best they could in a lousy situation

Any further issues/problems...will be sure to bring to this forum. Peace.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:17 PM

Thanks for the update...glad to hear you're back on the road. All our repairs (CB & Trans) have been completed and it's running pretty well.
Some of the previous posts mention the fact that Volvo is stepping up and helping customers with repair costs associated with the CB shaft bearing failure. Fellow Canadians that I've talked to with the same issue are finding that Volvo Canada isn't willing to help their customers. Was hoping to avoid going to court but after spending $20k on repairs in one year I really have no choice. Will continue to make updates as things progress. Thanks again for the update.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:50 PM

wow.......reading all these posts makes me worry. We just bought a 2005 XC90 V8 with 80,000miles. I thought these engines were bullet proof.......i guess not.

We have only had the vehicle for just over a week and i have already noticed an odd noise that can be heard when the car is in the higher of the gears cruising along barely applying any gas. Its like a knocking sound but can only be heard when the higher gears are underload and you are trying to just slow accelerate. Its hard to explain. Does this sound similar to anyone?

I have contacted the dealer i purchased the car from to arrange to bring it to them. It was a larger dealership so i am hopefully they wont try and run away given it has only been 1 week.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:31 AM

saving this one

Old 05-01-2012, 01:25 AM

I have imported a XC90 V8 from the usa into Holland. Uptill now € 2000,-- on repairs.
Rubber silence blocks front suspension fitted, hand brake brake shoe's replaced, steering makes strange noises but car is safe to drive and repair will exceed € 2000,--. Worst happend 2 weeks ago, the counter balance shaft bearing went bad, luckely it did not kill the engine. I have a problem finding a dealer that is willing to fix it.
2 local gealers, one in the Netherlands and one in Germany are not willing to fix it for the following reasons, they do not have a technicial qualified to do the job, ne special tools available, job should be done by an engine overhaul shop.
I have been driving volvo for the last 25 years, 240-740-850 and XC90 but it looks that the XC will be my last volvo since I have had more trouble with this car than the 3 I have ownend before

Quick Reply: 2005 XC90 V8 problems?