Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 XC90 odometer rolled back

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2006 XC90 odometer rolled back

So, my wife & I just bought, (w/o reviewing the carfax, bad juju btw), a 2006 XC90 with what we thought had only 67000 miles. It seems as though the mileage is closer to 196,000 miles.

My question is, how would a dealership have rolled back the odometer back to around 60000 miles? How does that happen?

We're in a bit of a mess here with this. I already know that it's not legal, but I just want to know how they might have done it.

No, I'm not trying to do this at all, I just didn't know that it is even possible with a digital odometer & I feel like I'm pretty mechanically inclined.

I suspect that the dealership got it in as a trade-in, rolled back the odometer, & then wholesaled the car to an auction house, for more than they gave for the trade-in. Obviously, not moral, nor legal.

What do you guys think about this, & how do you think it might have actually happened?

Thanks in advance,
DSCWMitchell

Old 08-24-2010, 01:18 AM

Well, after a quick web search, it's apparently quite easy to change the odometer. The tool is readily available for immoral re-sellers to get more than the car is worth in trade. Which is what happened to me.

Man, people are jerks!!

OK, on to a better question. If you guys got a 2006 V8 with 196,000 miles on it &, (as far as I can tell), a new transmission about 12000 miles ago, what would you do with it?

Drive it into the ground, or cut your losses & get what you could for it?

Tell me what you think about those questions.

Thanks,
DSCWMitchell

Old 08-24-2010, 07:44 AM

you bought a vehicle without seeing the carfax first? As a volvo dealer myself I find it hard to believe a dealership would roll back the odometer on a vehicle....considering how many tens of thousands of dollars they'd catch in fines if discovered.

Now, I've seen carfax reports at my own lot with the "odometer discrepancy" tag and it's usually a clerical error on a service writers end. If I could see the report I could tell you if it's an honest mistake or not.

Also, sometimes instrument panels are damaged and need replaced. I don't know if the XC90 stores the vehicle mileage in the housing or if it's controlled by the ecu but it may have just been cheaper for them to swap in a working instrument housing instead of trying to fix certain things.

If you genuinely feel you've been deceived you need to go back to the dealership with an attorney and get it handled. I promise they'll settle right there...on the spot. You won't have to be stuck with that car.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Super Matty P
you bought a vehicle without seeing the carfax first? As a volvo dealer myself I find it hard to believe a dealership would roll back the odometer on a vehicle....considering how many tens of thousands of dollars they'd catch in fines if discovered.

Now, I've seen carfax reports at my own lot with the "odometer discrepancy" tag and it's usually a clerical error on a service writers end. If I could see the report I could tell you if it's an honest mistake or not.

Also, sometimes instrument panels are damaged and need replaced. I don't know if the XC90 stores the vehicle mileage in the housing or if it's controlled by the ecu but it may have just been cheaper for them to swap in a working instrument housing instead of trying to fix certain things.

If you genuinely feel you've been deceived you need to go back to the dealership with an attorney and get it handled. I promise they'll settle right there...on the spot. You won't have to be stuck with that car.
Yes. I bought without the carfax. Will never happen again.

Short history -
1) the car has service records, (that I have received from that dealership), up to 184,xxx miles, from the original owner.
2) It looks like it was then traded to a GM dealership with 190,xxx miles. 3) The next owner was an auto auction in the "southwest region" & the mileage reported was 60,xxx miles.
4) It was next registered in NV at 66,xxx miles, (the dealer that I got it from).

So, my suspicion is that the GM dealership rolled back the odometer, but that was at least two "owners" ago.

I would be very surprised if it was a clerical error. You don't make a 130,000 reduced mile mistake when registering with the DMV. I'll have the CA DMV investigate the history to verify what I've found.

Either way, is the car worth keeping? It doesn't seem like it could possibly have this many miles on it.

Thanks,
DSCWMitchell

Old 08-28-2010, 10:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this a T-6?

Old 08-29-2010, 02:39 PM

No, it's the 4.4 V8. Truthfully, it must have been the easiest 200k ever put on a car ever. It is immaculate, but I'm wondering about reliability from here out. I understand about the safety features. That's half of the reason I wanted it for my wife. Now, I'm. Wanting to make sure it won't leave my wife and kids stranded.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:44 PM

No, it's the 4.4 V8. Truthfully, it must have been the easiest 200k ever put on a car ever. It is immaculate, but I'm wondering about reliability from here out. I understand about the safety features. That's half of the reason I wanted it for my wife. Now, I'm. Wanting to make sure it won't leave my wife and kids stranded.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by dscwmitchell
Truthfully, it must have been the easiest 200k ever put on a car ever. It is immaculate.....
You might want to check it over a little closer...we looked at a Certified Used 2007 that looked great inside...until I noticed overspray on the interior seat parts....the seats were spray painted to make them look new! This was at a Volvo Dealer.

I suggest a sit-down discussion with the owner of the dealership...not just a service or sales manager. Have a discussion with whoever's name is on the building.