Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 D5 diesel fuel issues

Search this Thread

Old Today | 07:38 AM
|
Default 2008 D5 diesel fuel issues

Hi folks, I'm hoping for some help as I'm at my witts end....

I've inherited a 2008 D5 diesel XC90 from my parents, and have had a fueling issue.

Initially it was caused by some contaminated fuel, from which gave numerous codes, fuel pressure low, glow plugs faults, amongst other minor ones...

So, drained the tank, cleaned it out, new fuel filter, putting 20l of Shell V-Power diesel in, which initially solved the issue.

Problem was the following day (after around 15-20 miles of normal operation the car started dying under load, and would cut out.
Once stopped at side of road for a few minutes it would fire up again and seems to right, however would do the same again after a short time. Eventually it died and just wouldn't fire again.

Got it towed home, ran a diagnostic and got a few codes relating to fuel pressure and dpf issues.
I've changed dpf for new one, as old one was well n truly blocked up with coke, new fuel pressure sensor (mainly as broke the old one when removing it), and tried to start it and it's turning over but not firing.
Rescanned it and only engine codes coming up were in relation to the glow plugs.
I've checked a fuel rail and no fuel present, so headed to the fuel sender and pump.
Fuel guage is working fine, and getting continuity on the pump terminals, so pump seems to be ok, however one turning ignition on pump doesn't operate. Been told this is going to be the PEM, so I've started looking for it.....
Tried behind front side of rear wheel arch and nothing there.
Can't see anything on the top of the tank near fuel filter.
Tried under seats and nothing.
Tried in rear compartment and nothing.
Removed 3rd row of seats and checked under carpets... Nothing.

So I've currently got no rear seats (both rows removed), carpets pulled up all over the place, and still can't find the bleeding PEM... 🤬🤬

Please can anyone offer any guidance on any other locations that it might be, or even any other suggestions I need to be looking into to solve my fueling issue...🤔🤔🤔🤷🤷

Thank you for any sensible suggestions 👍👍

Last edited by Chris Amis; Today at 07:48 AM.