Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 XC90 D5 Not Starting - Tried Everything!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2021, 10:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 XC90 D5 Not Starting - Tried Everything!

Hi All,

Hope you guys had a great weekend. I'm here seeking some advice on my non starting car diesel XC90. I had a broken rocker arm, so I took it out. After putting everything back the car wouldn't start. Double checked the timing on both, camshafts and crankshaft . Engine runs with Easy Start spray though. No error codes detected by the scanner.

Diesel is not coming out of high pressure pump - Fuel pump sends diesel to the high pressure pump and it would flow continuously. As soon as I tired to start the engine, flow stops and wouldn't pump anymore. Turning key off and back to position II, diesel flows back again and stops with a start. I thought I had not connect the pump properly to camshaft, so took it off and put it back with extra attention and care but no luck!

I removed all fuel system related connections like fuel temp sensor, fuel pressure sensor, fuel flow control valve, fuel pressure control valve, (except the pump) and tried to start the car - it threw codes for those sonsors. Connected back, cleared the codes. Car didn't start but no more codes. By this can we confirm all the sensors and valves are electrically working?

Car was running all fine without any issues previously. I have spent exactly 7 days trying to find the problem. Please could anyone point me on the right direction where to start from?

Cheers

Old 01-12-2022, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SOLVED!

Car is now sorted. The issue I had was...I had not done the priming correctly, therefore there were lots of air in the fuel line. I did the key On and OFF cycle for over 20 times (as advised by Volvo) and then car started straight away.

If you remove any fuel system line (like a hose or a banjo bolt or high pressure pipe etc), it sucks air in then stops sending fuel to common rail. When you turn the key to ON (ignition on) and if you have air then you could hear fuel flowing in there inside the fuel filter housing under rear passenger seating location. So you have to prime until you hear nothing but whining noise. This is achieved by above method, ON and then OFF

Cheers