Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Volvo XC90 T6 Navigation Problem

Old 07-19-2016, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Volvo XC90 T6 Navigation Problem

I bought a 2016 XC90 T6 Momentum in April of this year. I had a software issue related to accessing the weather subscription with Sirius/XM which was fixed by the dealer. I have lost connection to the weather service a couple of times, but have been able to restore it by rebooting the car's modem setting.

However, over this past weekend I noticed that the navigation feature showed the location of the car to be approximately 30 miles from where it actually was located. For example, cross roads would appear on screen as if I was at the other location. If I asked navigation to provide directions home, the directions were based as if I was 30 miles east of where I actually was. The same thing happens when I locate the car on the Volvo phone app. However, remote features still work. It is like the actual GPS location is off for some reason.

Otherwise, I have had no other electronic or mechanical problems with the car which appears to be the exception rather than the norm based on the posts to this forum.

I am taking it into the dealer next week to have the navigation problem fixed. Has anyone else run into this navigation problem?

Old 07-21-2016, 05:42 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VolvoT6
I bought a 2016 XC90 T6 Momentum in April of this year. I had a software issue related to accessing the weather subscription with Sirius/XM which was fixed by the dealer. I have lost connection to the weather service a couple of times, but have been able to restore it by rebooting the car's modem setting.

However, over this past weekend I noticed that the navigation feature showed the location of the car to be approximately 30 miles from where it actually was located. For example, cross roads would appear on screen as if I was at the other location. If I asked navigation to provide directions home, the directions were based as if I was 30 miles east of where I actually was. The same thing happens when I locate the car on the Volvo phone app. However, remote features still work. It is like the actual GPS location is off for some reason.

Otherwise, I have had no other electronic or mechanical problems with the car which appears to be the exception rather than the norm based on the posts to this forum.

I am taking it into the dealer next week to have the navigation problem fixed. Has anyone else run into this navigation problem?
there are several software updates on the XC90 - your dealer should be able to get this corrected

Old 07-30-2016, 03:14 AM

Any updates on this being fixed?

Originally Posted by VolvoT6

Old 08-01-2016, 07:08 AM
Default 2016 XC90 T6 Navigation Problem

I am taking it in to the dealer for a major software download in about three weeks as that is as soon as a loaner car is available. The dealer says it may take more than one day and insists on giving me a loaner.

In addition, the start/stop function does not work. However, unless this is indicative of another mechanical or software issue, I am happy to not have it restored.

I keep getting an internet connection error to the free weather service even after resetting it numerous times. It initially did not work when I got the car and I had to take it in for another software upgrade. It worked fine until recently. Hopefully, the new software upgrade will address this as well.

Otherwise, I am happy with how the car drives plus the mileage is significantly better than advertised.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:19 AM

We have the XC90 and suffered the same issue. When we took it to the garage an update appeared to fix it, however the location arrow in the sat nav still seemed to be lagging behind slightly. It is due back in today to be looked at. Had loads of what seem to be software problems and last night the whole dashboard went off and the car won't accelerate beyond approx 15 MPH. Volvo on there way to take a look! Seriously concerned about the quality of this new car!

Old 09-08-2016, 10:05 AM

I took my 2016 XC90 to the dealer who did a major software upload. It fixed the navigation and vehicle internet modem problems. However, the start/stop function was not working which required installation of a new exterior ambient temperature sensor and another trip since the part had to be ordered. I don't quite understand the connection between the two, but the start/stop function as well as all other features of the vehicle are working fine now. Hopefully, after three trips to the dealer I won't have to see them again until my first oil change.

Last edited by VolvoT6; 09-08-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:12 PM
Default Free Internet and xm radio and radar

Is anyone being charged for there xm radio or weather service. We have a 2016 xc90 and the Internet as well as the xm are working but we have not signed up for a subscription. And if you are paying, how much is it to keep the Internet and xm weather radar? Thanks

Old 09-27-2016, 02:39 PM

I got a 6 month complimentary subscription to XM radio when I bought my 2016 XC90 in April of this year. Since I already had an XM subscription, XM said they would credit my account for the six month period (we'll see). I believe the weather service through XM was also provided on a complimentary basis for a least two years, but it may have been a longer time period. In any case, the weather service is not all that impressive. Plus for whatever reason, you cannot always access the weather subscription (connection error?). I probably will not renew it as I can get equivalent information on my smart phone.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:47 PM

What about the internet. We bought ours in April as well.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:56 PM

I know the vehicle has internet capability, but I have not taken the time to check it out. To be honest, at this point I have technology fatigue and I am happy that everything appears to be working on the vehicle. Plus I can access the internet or my email from my smart phone. In addition, my wife thinks the car provides to many distractions while driving as is.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:17 PM

We have used it a coupl of times when we have gone on trip. We connected the iPad and used it to play Netflix or Amazon movies for the kids. I know the carrier is Att. And I haven't checked the upload/download rate but it will play movies without buffering for the most part. I agree that most of the options like weather I get from my iPhone. I did get the CarPlay installed and we prefer using the for navigation versus that Volvo nav system. And unless we are using xm radio all other media is done through CarPlay because,again, that is what we are use to and where we have our music library. We went about four months before we got CarPlay and when they had the recall for the panoramic roof controls, we had them install,the CarPlay then. The only drawback is for CarPlay to be used the iPhone has to be connected via USB. It is not able to use CarPlay via Bluetooth. Hopefully this will be fixed in a software update in the future as other car companies already allow for this.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:29 PM

We've had this same issue a couple of times. Volvo installs a software update and it goes away until another issue comes up. Pretty annoying when the car only goes 15mph.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:25 AM

"However, over this past weekend I noticed that the navigation feature showed the location of the car to be approximately 30 miles from where it actually was located. For example, cross roads would appear on screen as if I was at the other location. If I asked navigation to provide directions home, the directions were based as if I was 30 miles east of where I actually was."

I have experienced the same issue in my car (XC90, T5, 2017), with the off-set approx 80 km.

Since I was abroad, I've tried using "restore factory settings" in the car settings.
Then the position of the car was changed to Goteborg, Sweden - the place where the car was manufactured - some 830 km from the place where I actually was.

Now I see that I have to make an appointment with my garage...